What Are You Playing?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Breed1Ghost said:
Just finished Dead Rising 2, and Lords of shadow. Moved onto Fallout 3 its ok so far cant really get into it.
If that first "outside the vault" moment doesn't grab you, you should probably just move on.
 
Playing Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth for the first time. Bought it off Steam for a measly £5.99, talk about an amazing price for such a fantastic horror experience. This is the best adaptation I've ever seen for H.P. Lovecraft's work (it's like a collection of several of his stories, all melded together done with the highest respect and love made by big fans of his work).

Making my escape from the town of Innsmouth now, it's got to be one of the most harrowing experiences in gaming ever.
 

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Just finished Limbo.

I'd been stuck right near the end forever, I barely saw that gravity sign at the bottom of that last puzzle. I just kept falling off that huge cliff. F@&!

The ending gave me chills. Absolutely had me by the balls. I really enjoyed the minimal ending. This game makes me proud games are my preferred medium of entertainment.
 

Oburi

All praise Grail
Yea I finished Limbo not too long ago. It was pretty cool, could have been much longer and had more content though. I did love the spider, that was really creepy (I hate spiders). The other Arcade Game I beat was Shadow Complex, which compared to Limbo has LOTS of content. This was game was fun and had so many different weapons and things to do ... one of the best arcade games I think.

Only problem with Shadow Complex, and maybe someone can help me,
before the end where you go to the final spot to fight the final battle I tried to go through the map and collect everything I missed first time around but I found that it was impossible since I needed to pass through that area of the map, thus ending my game. There was literally no way I can get all the secrets without restarting the game, so that was frustrating since I was very close to getting EVERYTHING. I never found out what was in that room at the bottom that you collect passkeys for :mozgus: ANyone know if it's even worth?

I also played the Dead Rising 2 "prequel" for the arcade which was pretty fun, basically the same shit I remember from the first game. While it did have some fun features, the fact that it was a time limit was annoying and honestly I got bored pretty fast, kind of had to force myself to finish it.

What else?... Feels like I got a million games going right now :serpico: Tales of Vesperia was one of those games where I was about 90% done with but got stuck on a boss and literally could not go back to buy more health, I basically had no choice and that was my only save point so for a year and a half that game just sat collecting dust. However, I decided to buy the +10 levels for $5 on the marketplace (I know, I'm not proud of myself) in order to just get through that part. Needless to say, it worked (barely) and I'm on the way to completing the game once and for all :guts: It sucks when you've been out of game for over a year and you have to relearn how to play from scratch (and forget trying to collect everything, I can't even remember who the hell the bad guys were).
 

Aazealh

そうはいかぬ
Staff member
Oburi said:
Only problem with Shadow Complex, and maybe someone can help me
I forgot those details to be honest.
I think there is a way to cross the lake without triggering the final event though. But I can't confirm it.
 
just started playing the PS2 Berserk Game again, and It's great! only drawback is that I don't know Japanese :sad:



With a Dragon Slayer Skin for the demoman, can't wait to get the scotsman skullcutter again.

and


Forever and Ever, Babe.
 

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
Contra (NES)
Super Contra (NES)
Contra III Alien Wars (Super NES)
You should definitely pick up Contra 4 for DS if you can find it. It's an excellent addition to that series, and is often overlooked these days. I actually had more fun with it than my teenage years with Contra III.

I'm currently splitting my time between playing Minecraft, Final Fantasy: Four Heroes of Light, replaying HL2: Episode 2, and Game Dev. Story for the iPhone/iPod Touch... which is seriously one of the most addictive games I've played in recent memory. Minecraft included.
 
Walter said:
Final Fantasy: Four Heroes of Light
How's this working out for you? I really dig the artstyle but I've seen some posts on NeoGAF that basically say the game is nearly unplayable because of some flaws or something.

I'm playing Mother 3 and Shinobi III.
 

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Eluvei said:
How's this working out for you? I really dig the artstyle but I've seen some posts on NeoGAF that basically say the game is nearly unplayable because of some flaws or something.
The people on NeoGAF are over-exaggerating. They tend to get upset over small details. The game is fun, and has a cubic assload of charm that compensates for it being a very traditional RPG. This is a simple game wrapped in beautiful packaging. The graphic engine, world design and overall art style are what make the game worthwhile. The story and gameplay mechanics, I could take or leave honestly.

The battle system is simple, but that hasn't bothered me yet. The biggest surprise is that you can't target specific enemies. You simply issue commands and hope for the best. However, there's such a huge variety of combat options, like different weapon types, abilities and spells, that it doesn't feel as simple as it actually is. But don't be mistaken by my wording -- this is a challenging game. It's just that the approach to combat is very straightforward. Attack, magic, heal; it's the same sort of thing we've all been doing for decades. But based on the number of times I've died already, I don't see how someone new to RPGs would enjoy this.

Dungeons are the game's biggest shortcoming. They are painfully dull, both in visual and level design. Despite every other area of the game having impressive visual fidelity, the dungeons are almost always exclusively shown from an overhead, traditional 2D-RPG perspective, with 90-degree turns around every corner. It's a complete disconnect from the rest of the game's design, which otherwise keeps a smile on your face throughout with its fresh design and cute visuals. And really, that's why you should play the game.
 

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
I tried the Shadow Complex trial. I thought it was really fun gameplay-wise, but I couldn't shake an overwhelming feeling of cliche which was a nasty turnoff for me. I know these things are present in a ton of games, (exploding helicopters, super suits, etc) So I don't know why it's different with this one. The characters felt like dolls (or action figures) to me somehow. It might be something purely cosmetic like the facial animations. Anyways! For whatever reason I'm going to give it a pass for now in the name of Sonic 2 and N+, an incredible little platformer.

Oburi said:
What else?... Feels like I got a million games going right now :serpico: Tales of Vesperia was one of those games where I was about 90% done with but got stuck on a boss and literally could not go back to buy more health, I basically had no choice and that was my only save point so for a year and a half that game just sat collecting dust. However, I decided to buy the +10 levels for $5 on the marketplace (I know, I'm not proud of myself) in order to just get through that part. Needless to say, it worked (barely) and I'm on the way to completing the game once and for all :guts: It sucks when you've been out of game for over a year and you have to relearn how to play from scratch (and forget trying to collect everything, I can't even remember who the hell the bad guys were).
Hahah, that sucks...I almost fell into the same situation myself! I was cruising through the game like "Yeah, easy...where are the bosses that send me home?" Then I met that wolf thing, and died over and over for a few days. Luckily, there were baby monsters around and a save point so I just grinded a few levels up and all was well. I was close to falling in your shoes. I don't blame you at all for spending the money, as long as it's to have fun it doesn't matter.

Yeah, I feel you. It's one of those games where you forget all the shit the battle book and tutorials teach you about over limits and burst-altered-advanced artes and whatever else. If you take a break you'll have to re-learn the jargon. I came back to it after a week of Halo and was like "FFFFFFFF" There were a lot of things I felt the game didn't really explain. I never really got how you learned skills until the end, or how to do a mystic arte. Other than that I loved it. It's cheesy, and kind of predictable, but good fun. I always enjoy the character interaction and development more than anything in a tales game. I wish they touched more on the potential romance triangle, because I'm a sap.

I'm excited about the new tales, if the US gets it. It's supposed to be darker, which should be interesting provided the series is usually cartoon through and through. Let me know when you finish it and what you think of the ending! : )
 
Walter said:
The people on NeoGAF are over-exaggerating. They tend to get upset over small details. The game is fun, and has a cubic assload of charm that compensates for it being a very traditional RPG. This is a simple game wrapped in beautiful packaging. The graphic engine, world design and overall art style are what make the game worthwhile. The story and gameplay mechanics, I could take or leave honestly.

The battle system is simple, but that hasn't bothered me yet. The biggest surprise is that you can't target specific enemies. You simply issue commands and hope for the best. However, there's such a huge variety of combat options, like different weapon types, abilities and spells, that it doesn't feel as simple as it actually is. But don't be mistaken by my wording -- this is a challenging game. It's just that the approach to combat is very straightforward. Attack, magic, heal; it's the same sort of thing we've all been doing for decades. But based on the number of times I've died already, I don't see how someone new to RPGs would enjoy this.

Dungeons are the game's biggest shortcoming. They are painfully dull, both in visual and level design. Despite every other area of the game having impressive visual fidelity, the dungeons are almost always exclusively shown from an overhead, traditional 2D-RPG perspective, with 90-degree turns around every corner. It's a complete disconnect from the rest of the game's design, which otherwise keeps a smile on your face throughout with its fresh design and cute visuals. And really, that's why you should play the game.
I'm playing it too, the game is beautiful, but I find the battle a little too simple for me. well, that's just me.
 
Walter said:
You should definitely pick up Contra 4 for DS if you can find it. It's an excellent addition to that series, and is often overlooked these days. I actually had more fun with it than my teenage years with Contra III.
Aahh cool beans, I had no clue they had a game for the DS. I don't own a DS though +_+
 

Aazealh

そうはいかぬ
Staff member
Haven't had much time for games recently, played some Minecraft, still haven't started Alan Wake or Starcraft 2.

IncantatioN said:
I don't own a DS though +_+
Terrible mistake, but easily solved. :slan: Though at this point you're better off waiting for the 3DS.
 
Cool beans, I'll wait for the 3DS then ^_^. I Wiki'd it and it said something about being able to have older games play/ work on it. I'm so out of the loop of newer (maybe in the past decade or older) consoles like the PS series, X-Box, PS3, DS series.
 

Griffith

My posts are better.
Finally playing MGS4, about 3/4's of the way through I'd say, and man, what a breath of stale air after Snake Eater.


This would turn out to be an insult to MGS2.​

From a story standpoint, it's like everything you didn't like about Metal Gear Solid rolled into one, ad nauseum. As for the gameplay, well, the camera sucks, but who cares? The "game" itself has been reduced in overall scope to the point it feels like a series of mini-games to keep you occupied while the next feature length cutscene is loading anyway (and the lack of a single cohesive "behind enemy lines" mission sure adds to that choppy feeling of malaise). So far, it's basically been Hideo Kojima at his most self-indulgent worst, and that's really saying something! FISSION MAILED

I'll let you know if it justifies itself in the end, though the opposite seems much more likely, and I'm wary of whether I'll even be able to get through it. Not the game itself, but the longer cutscenes to come...
 

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Griffith said:
Finally playing MGS4, about 3/4's of the way through I'd say, and man, what a breath of stale air after Snake Eater.

http://www.skullknight.net/griffith/MGS2x2=4.jpg
This would turn out to be an insult to MGS2.​

From a story standpoint, it's like everything you didn't like about Metal Gear Solid rolled into one, ad nauseum. As for the gameplay, well, the camera sucks, but who cares? The "game" itself has been reduced in overall scope to the point it feels like a series of mini-games to keep you occupied while the next feature length cutscene is loading anyway (and the lack of a single cohesive "behind enemy lines" mission sure adds to that choppy feeling of malaise). So far, it's basically been Hideo Kojima at his most self-indulgent worst, and that's really saying something! FISSION MAILED

I'll let you know if it justifies itself in the end, though the opposite seems much more likely, and I'm wary of whether I'll even be able to get through it. Not the game itself, but the longer cutscenes to come...
I just beat the game last week and you are right about those cutscenes, they do get longer!! The game looks and feels average, and I have to point out that I had more fun playing Peace walker than this one.
 

Griffith

My posts are better.
Just beat it, or it's finally over, I should say. Man, the worst was yet to come! You know how MGS3 was so good it actually made MGS2 better? This game had the opposite effect for almost the entire series, it's like a complete referendum. It's to the point I now question any part that I liked, chalking it up subjective circumstance, or even if it was good, it was by accident rather than design. In a nutshell...

Mr. Kojima, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
 

Griffith

My posts are better.
Johnstantine said:
I enjoyed the game, but I gave up on the story years ago.
Yeah, but for the first time, the gameplay didn't make up for it. Not only was "the game" clearly secondary in focus, but it really did come across as an afterthought. In any case, I can't give 'em a pass on story when so much time/emphasis is devoted on it, it demands your attention/scrutiny. They had righted the ship in in MGS3, while the grand series scenario was no less ridiculous and the cutscenes still too long, the basic nitty gritty human story and character interactions were pitch perfect (I actually wanted to hear the quirky things the characers on my codec had to say) and the gameplay made up the difference otherwise. It was balanced and complimentary. MGS4 is a torturous mess on the other hand, everything both over the top and underwhelming (the BB unit, worst enemy unit EVER), never ending preachy pablum that's laughable at first and then frustrating after hours of the same bullshit; topics which were already covered better in previous entries and done a disservice here. It was all trying way too hard and ended up just being all over the place; it was drama diarrhea, and not even very well done for what was supposed to be the big finale.

The nadir was the whole thing with Meryl and Johnny, I was literally horrified. It made me wonder how Kojima can be so over-serious with his material while simultaneously shitting on it/himself. He should have called this game The Aristocrats.
 

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Oh, don't get me wrong, I agree with nearly all of what you said (especially the BB). But the die-hard MGS fan in me won't allow me not to like it :guts:
 

Griffith

My posts are better.
Johnstantine said:
Oh, don't get me wrong, I agree with nearly all of what you said (especially the BB). But the die-hard MGS fan in me won't allow me not to like it :guts:
God help me, I'm already talking myself into a replay on extreme difficulty.
 
Top Bottom