Who plays RPGs? What's your favorite?

Re: Who play's RPG's? What's your favorite?

Final Fantasy 4, 6, 7, Tactics

Vagrant story - I thought it was an awesome and fun game dont understand why some of you didnt like it.

Chrono Trigger

Tales of Symphonia

Star Ocean 3: Till the End of time

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head

I loves ze RPGs.

Chrono Trigger- the first I ever played

Drag on Dragoon- I still need to play the second

Castlevania: SotN- I'll just hope the rest of you have forgotten it's an RPG

PSO- and almost definitely PSU, minus one of the songs I heard for it, which has lyrics that would make Barney cringe

Vandal Hearts- though the second one sucks

Parasite Eve 1&2

FFX- yes, I actually liked this one.

As for you Legend of the Dragoon lovers, what're you on! Terrible graphics, imbalanced characters, and an utterly flawed experience system made this game almost unbearable for me. Only three or four of the characters were worth using and the healer was a joke. To gain a level you'd have to slaughter 100 enemies or simply kill one boss and you'd gain two levels with every character, even the ones you weren't even using. I liked the style and the storyline, but the graphics (apart from the very few cutscenes) were so pathetic it was hard to enjoy. If they'd fix these three key factors it would be worth playing but as it stands it was a sad and failed attempt to kill Final Fantasy.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Vaxillus said:
Castlevania: SotN- I'll just hope the rest of you have forgotten it's an RPG

Yeah, along with Zelda, Diablo II, Deus Ex, Parasite Eve, Worms and Mario Kart. Just because you get items and/or level up in a game doesn't automatically mean it's an RPG.

Vaxillus

The modern interpretation of RPG, though I will admit it's far from the original meaning, is basically anything with an experience system. Still, I dare you to explain how 'Role Playing' applies to any so called RPG. If you can, I'll stand corrected. However, I never felt like I was actually taking on the role of Cloud in FFVII or Crono in Chrono Trigger.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Vaxillus said:
The modern interpretation of RPG, though I will admit it's far from the original meaning, is basically anything with an experience system.

Interpretation by who exactly? It's not written RPG on the box, and serious review sites like gamespot.com call that game an "action-adventure 2D platformer".

Vaxillus said:
Still, I dare you to explain how 'Role Playing' applies to any so called RPG. If you can, I'll stand corrected.

Going by the original definition, human interaction would be needed, so games featuring multiplayer support and character creation/customization such as Neverwinter Nights or MMORPGs work. Other than that, it's a matter of how you interpret the word. Any game where you aren't playing yourself includes "role playing", as in playing a role. But that's bullshit and we all know it. I just find it funny that nowadays people will call any game an RPG, making plenty of nice RPG genre variants based on nothing.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you

Aazealh said:
Going by the original definition, human interaction would be needed, so games featuring multiplayer support and character creation/customization such as Neverwinter Nights or MMORPGs work. Other than that, it's a matter of how you interpret the word. Any game where you aren't playing yourself includes "role playing", as in playing a role. But that's bullshit and we all know it.
Yea pretty much cause if thats the case, then every game is a RPG.. playinhg everything from super extreme fighter to a fucking emo whore.

Mostly pc games:

Arx Fatalis
BG I/II
Fallout I/II
FF7
Gothic series (can't wait for the 3rd one)
Lands of Lore I/II
Neverwinter nights
Planescape torment
Saga frontier
TES series (arena/daggerfall/morrowind)
Ultima series

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai

Vaxillus said:
As for you Legend of the Dragoon lovers, what're you on! Terrible graphics, imbalanced characters, and an utterly flawed experience system made this game almost unbearable for me. Only three or four of the characters were worth using and the healer was a joke. To gain a level you'd have to slaughter 100 enemies or simply kill one boss and you'd gain two levels with every character, even the ones you weren't even using. I liked the style and the storyline, but the graphics (apart from the very few cutscenes) were so pathetic it was hard to enjoy. If they'd fix these three key factors it would be worth playing but as it stands it was a sad and failed attempt to kill Final Fantasy.
The Legend of Dragoon kicks ass. The graphics were fine, not the best as far as the characters.. but the background graphics were increadible. The characters were perfectly balanced, excluding Shana and Miranda because they sucked. I never had a problem with the experience system.. I was always at the right level when I needed to be. But the storyline is what made the game great. It was a great storyline that completely kept my attention throughout the entire game.. unlike FFVII which I've actually fallen asleep playing.

The worst thing about LOD though, was the english dubbing in the cut scenes. That had to have been the worst dubbing job I have ever witnessed in my life.

Vaxillus

As for RPGs, RPGfan.com still classifies it as an RPG, but it admitedly is a pretty long stretch. I guess it would be more correct to say it utilizes RPG-like features. But whatever.

As for Dragoon, I found myself using nobody beside the main character, the lancer, and the big guy with an axe. Everyone else was far weaker. The background graphics were nothing ahead of their time, and the atrocious sprites kinda ruined whatever effect they had, not to mention the fact it devolved into poorly rendered 3D rubbish during combat. I will admit the storyline kept me somewhat interested, but comparing it to the borefest that was FFVII doesn't do much for its credit. Actually, I found FFVII to at least be more inventive and less cliche. How many times have we seen the 'your father is the villain' twist forcefully shoved into some odd orifice of the story. As for the voice acting, the entire thing was pretty sad in general. Also, don't get me started on the combat system, which had a glaring fault for every great idea (mash teh buttun to cast teh magic speel). I'm not saying the game was unlikeable, but I hardly think it falls far above, if above at all, merely average.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Vaxillus said:
As for RPGs, RPGfan.com still classifies it as an RPG, but it admitedly is a pretty long stretch.

Yeah, that's really a serious and universal criteria, not biased at all. If I say that DooM is a sport simulation, will it automatically become official or do I need to register a domain name first? I was thinking about www.sportsimulationdork.com.

D

darkbane

My favorite RPG, or I should say Campaign Setting I suppose, is Birthright, from TSR (now WotC I suppose?). That's still second edition rules, for those who know about this. I own a number of the books, even though I've never played it with anyone, heh. Failing that, and because I don't own any consoles, my favorite computer games (definition mumbo-jumbo non-withstanding) in this genre would be:

Birthright - The Gorgon's Alliance
Fallout 2
Planescape: Torment

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Aazealh said:
I was thinking about www.sportsimulationdork.com.
Too late, I just registered it. IM me for info on how you can buy it back at a reasonable rate, TODAY! :troll:

PS: This is the origin story on how skullknight.com was ditched and skullknight.net was born.

PPS: These rolling games suck.

Mo

The Warrior

There are a lot of good ones, but then again there's a bunch of garbage out there... Hey thanks for giving me recommendations on what to play... hehe I have to play with my shirt off cuz I just had surgery and my left arm is tied to my body@ a right angle... of course I can always put the controler under my shirt, but, it will look like I'm jerkin off. :guts:

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you

Mo said:
There are a lot of good ones, but then again there's a bunch of garbage out there... Hey thanks for giving me recommendations on what to play... hehe I have to play with my shirt off cuz I just had surgery and my left arm is tied to my body@ a right angle... of course I can always put the controler under my shirt, but, it will look like I'm jerkin off. :guts:
Ansdwer to your problems..

http://www.ddrgame.com/ps2oneharpgc.html

My favourites would be:
Fallout 1/2
Diablo 2
Arcanum
Planescape: Torment
Chrono Trigger (the old SNES version).

I'm waiting for Oblivion ATM. It will be big.

How many times have we seen the 'your father is the villain' twist forcefully shoved into some odd orifice of the story.

Only, Dart's dad wasn't the villain. He was posessed. A vessel for Melbu Frahma, the real bad guy of the game.

Also, don't get me started on the combat system, which had a glaring fault for every great idea (mash teh buttun to cast teh magic speel).

Yeah because selecting the attack, selecting the target, and then watching the attack unfold is so exciting. At least they did something to keep you focused and on your toes for the battles, whether it be timing your button presses or mashing a button to boost the power of the attack.

I'm not saying LoD is this uber amazing RPG, but there was enough about it to make it stand apart from all others at the time.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great

dwarfkicker said:
but there was enough about it to make it stand apart from all others at the time. 

Then came along a truly masterfull masterpiece. Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door. Litterally grabbing the nose of all other rpgs and kicking them in the ass [to the suprise & happiness of WW2 leaders]. GO BUY IT!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

I actually didn't enjoy Paper Mario 2 that much. It sort of tread water for the whole game. They even used recurring jokes from Paper Mario 1. Though, I really can't fault it for having lame humor, since much of the jokes extend from lame humor.

The battle system was always fun though. It never got old, and it constantly changed throughout the game, if you kept up with the rare upgrades and badges and whatnot.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great

Walter said:
I actually didn't enjoy Paper Mario 2 that much.  It sort of tread water for the whole game. They even used recurring jokes from Paper Mario 1.  Though, I really can't fault it for having lame humor, since much of the jokes extend from lame humor.

The battle system was always fun though. It never got old, and it constantly changed throughout the game, if you kept up with the rare upgrades and badges and whatnot.

I never got the chance to play Paper Mario 1, so it was a treat for me to play this one. =]
And for some odd reason I found the jokes to be funny...

The battle system is the best thing about recent RPG's for me. It beats the "watch an attack happen" ideal for most games now days. It's easy, but it's also a kids game. I'm really thrilled to play such a fun RPG [well video game] most rpgs for me are like pulling teeth almost. Same old story and boring game play [the game play kills me not the story, i'm still dumbfounded by the save the princess games], so coming accross a game like this was a real surpise for me. =]

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.

Hail to RPG's(thinking if there was a berserk rpg)
I like FF all, even 8
chrono trigger,chrono cross
secret of mana,Dragon Quest
Phantasy Star Online
Wanderers from Y's

Top Bottom