Official Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of Patriots thread

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I'm just going to assume, especially if your last post in the Wii thread is serious, that you kind of missed the point of the MGS experience, including the beloved original.

I also haven't heard what was so wrong with 3? If anything, it's even more hale and hearty than the original's machismo being extolled here, and with a minimum of the second's threatening abstract thoughts. Some of the complaints don't even match with the games in question, and sound more like regurgitation of popular sentiment, "Yup, that series really went down hill after the first one." Yeah, after the seriousness of cyber-ninjas, mini-gun wielding shamans, and dueling clone brothers, it really got silly compared to the documentary style I was used to. =)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith No More! said:
Yeah, after the seriousness of cyber-ninjas, mini-gun wielding shamans, and dueling clone brothers, it really got silly compared to the documentary style I was used to. =)

"Place the controller on the floor... place it as flat as you can. That's good. Now I shall move your controller, with the power of my will alone!"

How did he know I like Castlevania and Vandal Hearts?! :isidro:

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Skull Knight said:
No, I have to agree. Metal Gear Solid 1 was great...but the sequels just had some lame stories (and characters) in my opinion. You can't replace the Gray Fox with New Improved Cyborg Ninja 2.0 and expect people to be happy with where you're going with the series. The story for MGS1 just was so much better....it had everything, from Snake having to fight his own brother (yeah I know they're clones but still) to the death, having to fight and old friend who he murdered in battle years ago a second time, the whole thing with Meryl and not being able to protect her, and of course Revolver Ocelot before he became a split personality freak with a Liquid Snake voice changer installed in his throat. So yeah, not happy with the sequels....whatever happened with Hideo Kojima's statement of not doing any more? I guess $ony got to him....

I'm not talking about replacement characters, because there were a lot of characters in MGS2 I liked over the first one. Speaking of which that bitch you couldn't kill was the only one I really disliked because of the fact you are cheated out of a boss fight thanks to her. Solidus on the other hand was the best fucking villain ever and the hallway where you are fighting Russian Ninjas was my favorite things in the series.

I think my original complaint only existed because of the whole psp series which soly existed to confuse me further.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Speaking of which that bitch you couldn't kill was the only one I really disliked because of the fact you are cheated out of a boss fight thanks to her. Solidus on the other hand was the best fucking villain ever and the hallway where you are fighting Russian Ninjas was my favorite things in the series.

You should try a non-lethal run through of MGS3, it leaves you with a warm and fuzzy feeling inside! And why not ditch Ol' Solidus and start liking Volgin? I have a hard time understanding why people didn't like MGS3, the story was just so...cute.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
$85 for the limited edition?

That seems a little high... but I suppose import soundtracks are expensive...

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
I think my original complaint only existed because of the whole psp series which soly existed to confuse me further.

If it's Acid you're talking about, no clue here. Portable OPS was well done. The voice acting was never better considering the sequences were all "animated" or somewhat still images. Story wise, just look at it from it's core really... Big Boss 1st experience as a leader and a more reason for him to attempt to achieve his goal AKA Outer Heaven. I do agree that the side stories were ummm... well.... Griff?

Griffith No More! said:
Yeah, after the seriousness of cyber-ninjas, mini-gun wielding shamans, and dueling clone brothers, it really got silly compared to the documentary style I was used to. =)

Right on the money. You should check out Portable Ops... you'd have fun with that one.

Griffith No More! said:
I'm just going to assume, especially if your last post in the Wii thread is serious, that you kind of missed the point of the MGS experience, including the beloved original.

I also haven't heard what was so wrong with 3? If anything, it's even more hale and hearty than the original's machismo being extolled here, and with a minimum of the second's threatening abstract thoughts. Some of the complaints don't even match with the games in question, and sound more like regurgitation of popular sentiment, "Yup, that series really went down hill after the first one." Yeah, after the seriousness of cyber-ninjas, mini-gun wielding shamans, and dueling clone brothers, it really got silly compared to the documentary style I was used to. =)

All I know is I just wasn't happy with where the series went, obviously I enjoyed the first one, I enjoyed the FIRST half of MGS2, I don't think I need to explain the second half as I'm sure everyone here who is a fan has endured it. As for MGS 3, it just didn't hold my interest....it wasn't bad, but it didn't really leave a lasting impression on me or an urge to continue playing it. Believe me, I wan't disappointed in the series because it "branched out from the first one which was VERY grounded in reality" :schierke:- note sarcasm. So nothing to do with popular sentiment, just personal opinion. That's not to say I wouldn't give 4 a try. I will probably pick up MGS4 in a bargain bin 5 years from now when I can buy a used PS3 for 80 bucks or something.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Don't know what to say about this...

Wait, wasn't it bombed to hell at the end of MGS? Either way... it pleased me greatly to see that trailer.

Uriel said:
Don't know what to say about this...

Wait, wasn't it bombed to hell at the end of MGS? Either way... it pleased me greatly to see that trailer.

it's been awhile since i played MGS but if i recall i thought that the air strike wasn't really coming.

Griffith

Whether this was just flashback or not, the air strike was called off. In any case, love the snowy atmosphere.

Griffith

Agreed, but I've got bigger things to worry about, like how I'm going to actually play this piece of shit? Remember the good old days when you could rent systems from Blockbuster? I never did rent one, but then again, I actually wanted to play more than one game on any of those systems. =)

Griffith No More! said:
Agreed, but I've got bigger things to worry about, like how I'm going to actually play this piece of shit? Remember the good old days when you could rent systems from Blockbuster? I never did rent one, but then again, I actually wanted to play more than one game on any of those systems. =)

i remember that i rented an N64 back when ocarina of time first came out because i didn't feel like spending the money to buy an N64 just to play mario and ocarina of time.

Top Bottom