Batman: Arkham Asylum

Picked this up last night and played for around 4 hours. So far, so good. There's really not much to complain about. Best Batman game ever? Well, I've not played every Batman game ever released to make such a statement, this game is certainly FUN.

I just had an encounter with
the Scarecrow
and was tickled pink at how the game changed gears so rapidly.

The riddles make you explore every inch of this great looking environment. The fighting system is pretty damn good too. I was expecting the controls to be awkward at times. Luckily I'm beating these fools down with no trouble and making it look good. The voice acting makes me nostalgic. :)

Bravo I gotta say. Unless something so utterly awful happens to sully what I've seen so far.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Me an my friend played this all night. we are around 20% through and so far it's fantastic. I thought the fighting would get boring and repetitive but that is not that case. fighting isn't the main driving force in the game. Ok well it is but its not repetitive since fighting bad guys is spread out around lots of other things to do. The graphics are very fun to look at and the game is dark (as it should be). Anyone get to the part
with the Scarecrow and you look into the body bags and you see your parents, dead, who turn and speak to you
! Another cool thing is there are lots of villains. Old ones and new ones, and you can unlock a background of each character which even tells you what comic they first appeared in, which i thought was a neat feature. The fact that you can unlock so many gadgets and abilities keeps the game interesting. And the Asylum itself is huge! Lots of places you can go backtracking too once you have the proper equipment. And the riddles are very fun. Just the fact that you can go into detective mode and solve puzzles really makes me feel like I'm Batman. Surprisingly this game is awesome. I haven't played any other Batman game except for Lego Batman so I can't say if its the best Batman gamer ever...

... eh what the hell. THis is the best Batman game eva!!!

I am 24 or 25% done and got up to the 3rd scarecrow moment
then I stopped playing.
I have to say the scarecrow elements are pretty scary I thought it would be dumb but it is really awesome.
I am just sad that I had only one real boss fight I want more!!. How many riddles have you solved? I don't remember if the trophies and riddles are combined but i have around 72ish maybe we can help each other out with the riddles/trophies.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I didn't know there were multiple Scarecrow fights so thanks for ruining that for me,
and what do you mean one boss fight? Your talking about the Bane fight? I'm sure there will be tons more! :guts: And I'm playing it for the 360 so I'm not sure what trophies your talking about. As for the riddles, I'm going to do them myself since solving riddles in a game is something I don't get to do very often so I'll milk this for all its worth. :guts:

Yeah Bane I want more boss fights.
And me saying I was on my 3rd moment isn't much of a spoiler
I even knew there would be more after the first. The question marks that riddler left behind are called riddler trophies. I am only having trouble with one riddle thus far the rest have been kinda easy so if anyone else is interested or need help we can share information. Anyone like the side story about Arkham?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Since the game just game out yesterday, I'm marking pretty much anything suspect as a spoiler. You guys should do the same until the game has been played by more than 2-3 people...

I played this game a good deal this morning. It's just as I expected it to be and better. The challenge maps with the CE of the game are really sweet! But looking at the scoreboards it's hard to believe people have the high sores like they do. For instance, on the crime alley challenge map 1st place has 50,000 points? My 20th time through it I only got about 5000. Hard to believe.

In terms of story of the game, I've only played 8% through because I like to explore and see everything so I can't really comment on it yet. Whenever I get a game like this I spent more time than usual exploring like that large area with the graveyard, arkham mansion and arkham gardens. The game looks and plays amazing.

I'll say that this game is the best comic book based adventure game to date. Finally! Since most I know suck. Superman 64 anyone??? :guts:

Walter said:
Man, this game sounds like it sucks! :schierke:

I wasn't commenting on the awesome game.

People spent the extra money for the collector's edition and I wanted to comment on how it's really not worth the money especially since most people got it for the life-size batarang as well as this awesome game. Hopefully, anyone considering buying the game won't go crazy and go for the CE. The only extra in there worth it is the leather bound book and those extra challenge maps. A lot of people were complaining to gamestop about it and its understandable since it cost more money then the typical collector's edition at $100.

I got the ce for 32 bucks since I traded in games that I didnt like or wish to play anymore. Not a bad deal. This is the only reason I got the ce was the trade in. It is unreasonable for the 100 price tag but I can see why it is. You get the bat like shaped case that houses your 14" Batarang pluse the game and 2 maps with the leather book thats kinda like an art book with descriptons of the charecters.

And then there is tax which sucks it really isnt worth it but for me being a long time Batman fan I had to get it its worth it for me to have the extra stuff but yeah it is not for everyone. I have a feeling Ces will be going up in price after Batman and Cod mw2 which will suck. I just hope Dragon Age Origins stays at 80 since they keep adding free stuff to it.

Breed1Ghost said:
And then there is tax which sucks it really isnt worth it but for me being a long time Batman fan I had to get it its worth it for me to have the extra stuff but yeah it is not for everyone.

Thankfully I'm in NH so no taxes :guts:

Of course, the collector's edition would be for long time hard-core Batman fans but I just think the batarang sucks out of all the extras. I didn't expect the "weathering" and neither did most of the people who purchased it from what the gamestop guy told me. He sort of gave me a little warning when I was buying it that people were saying how it was weathered and confused that it may have been "used".

The packaging it all came in was phenomenal IMO though. Just the case is sweet and I love that leather bound booklet. I"m a fan of Batman just not die-hard like I am with Berserk. But even so I thought paying an extra $40 for all the extras in the CE wasn't bad until I picked up the batarang.

Question: Can you take your batarang off of the stand it's on? I haven't tried because I think it's either glued on or wedged tightly in it and don't want to risk breaking it.

ori said:
Thankfully I'm in NH so no taxes :guts:

Of course, the collector's edition would be for long time hard-core Batman fans but I just think the batarang sucks out of all the extras. I didn't expect the "weathering" and neither did most of the people who purchased it from what the gamestop guy told me. He sort of gave me a little warning when I was buying it that people were saying how it was weathered and confused that it may have been "used".

The packaging it all came in was phenomenal IMO though. Just the case is sweet and I love that leather bound booklet. I"m a fan of Batman just not die-hard like I am with Berserk. But even so I thought paying an extra $40 for all the extras in the CE wasn't bad until I picked up the batarang.

Question: Can you take your batarang off of the stand it's on? I haven't tried because I think it's either glued on or wedged tightly in it and don't want to risk breaking it.

You are so lucky not haven taxes ::shakes fist:: I totally agree about the packaging it was awesome. To answer your question about the batarang I just got mine off somehow not breaking it but it looks like they have every intention of it coming off but then decided to glue it on. At least I think they did glue it.

Finished the game today and have about 45-50 more riddles to 'solve'. A very fun game. Quirky ending boss if you ask me.
Then again, I've still got Ledger fresh in my skull.
Overall, super fun.
The Riddler side of this game has totally got me hooked.

I would love to play a sequel to this. Honestly. See some
Two-Face
, more of
Scarecrow, Catwoman, Penguin
and other classic baddies. It'd be nice to to showcase Gotham City as well.

Proj2501 said:
I would love to play a sequel to this.

I 2nd that and I haven't even finished yet. When I was on top of Arkham Mansion and I had a spectacular view of Gotham City and the bridge I just thought, "Damn, I wish I could go there right now." I would think any sequel would take place in Gotham city if they choose to make it. I'm betting a sequel is most likely.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
It'd be nice to to showcase Gotham City as well.
Be careful what you wish for. From a game design perspective, I think what may work for Arkham is that it's a well-developed but isolated locale. If the designers open up the game world's scope, the details may suffer. Think Infamous' giant, open, hollow city.

Also, Guiness World Records bestowed the game with the trophy for "Most Critically Acclaimed Superhero Game Ever"

http://kotaku.com/5347716/arkham-asylum-sets-world-record-for-being-good

Walter said:
Be careful what you wish for.

I get exactly what you're saying. I don't mean a sandbox by any means. Yuk. But, I'm sure they could figure out something with Gotham. Maybe instead of one BIG location, have other smaller ones you move in between by way of cutscenes. So, say Batman missed a clue or had to back track, he could get in the Batmobile and we could see a 5-10 cutscene of him driving. Follow me?

They def have a good thing going.

A chase sequence up on the roof tops with Catwoman using your grappling hook would be hot.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
Maybe instead of one BIG location, have other smaller ones you move in between by way of cutscenes. So, say Batman missed a clue or had to back track, he could get in the Batmobile and we could see a 5-10 cutscene of him driving. Follow me?
Hey, that'd be like another great game, MASS EFFECT! :badbone:

Oburi

All praise Grail
I finished this game last night and overall it was a great game. I will say I'm a little disappointed by the ending.
I would have preferred a more thought out, well written ending as opposed to the classic evil villain shoots himself with serum that transforms him into some bigger and stronger monster that you have to fight. A little anti climatic if ask me, more so in my post Resident Evil 5 period. I'm so sick of mutating viruses that bad guys are injecting into themselves and using as weapons. I would have been happier with some type of puzzle solving thing, more Jokers style. Still though, wicked fun in the game. It would have been fun with more villains because the villains you do fight were just so cool. They made the villains as dark and scary as they possibly could have been. There was the Joker, Killer Crock, Bane, Poisen Ivy, Scarecrow and Harley Quinn. Other villains were mentioned but those were the big ones you get to interact with. Also there was one point where your tripping balls from the Scarecrows toxin and in the vision your strapped down and the Joker pulls out a gun and shoots you in the face. Now you can control Batmans head by moving the joystick, but i didn't realize there was anything you could do. So i took the shot in the head then the screen comes up when you die and tells you that your suppose to dodge the shot, however the games continues on with the story instead of going back to your last checkpoint. I wonder if something different happens if you dodge the shot. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Also I'd like to point out a glitch to everyone that ruined my game (don't think this is a spoiler). When you first
enter the batcave (around 15% through) your suppose to grab the upgraded batclaw which allows you to pull objects. After getting the batclaw you use it to pull down some boxes blocking your path and jump to the other platform.
However I decided to explore the boxes before getting the upgrade and I managed to kick some boxes close the platform, climb on top of them and jump over to the other side before I'm suppose to. Then like a idiot i kicked all the other boxes off the cliff for fun. When i went back and got the batclaw I couldn't jump to the other side, like the invisible boxes were still there blocking my path, but since they weren't there I had nothing to grapple with like the game intended. So stupid! The boxes wouldn't return even after I loaded it back. I had to start a new game. That really pissed me off, I know everyone finds glitches once in a while but for one like this that is so obvious and so simple to do accidentally and it ruins your game was very ... bad.

Ok that's enough for now.

Whew. Well, I beat the game a few days back. Today though, I just solved all the riddles. I have to say, some were a bitch to find. I didn't want to puss out and check gamefaqs or anything and I'm happy I didn't. I are BATMAN! The last 'riddle' that took me forever to solve was fuckin locating 3 last joker teeth! :mozgus:

The only thing that bothers me (aside from the ending, which was mediocre...not RE5 bad) was not being able to restart the game with all the items you acquire in your first run through and not being able to start at certain chapters.

Great game. Onward to challenges.

Got the CE (pre ordered it when it was announced)
To those with pros and cons for the $100 price tag,

The artbook, case, and challenge maps/DLC and making of DVD are all the substandard fare you get with all CEs these days. The big subject of play though is the batarang. I use the math that a standard CE (RE: SF4 or DMC4 etc...) run about $70-$80, so it all comes down to whether or not the batarang itself is worth the $20-$30 pricetag...

At first glance, I mistook the scratches on my batarang to be from damage, but saw it was intentionally done. As already announced, it's plastic and not metal, which is what it should be for that amount. It is -not- an exact replica of the in-game batarang, regardless what Rocksteady/DC/Eidos is saying. And as mentioned by the pre release notes, it is mounted and cannot come off.

Summary: The CE itself is nice, but the batarang (your whole MO for getting it) is heavily over priced. Still, I don't think if you -really- are a huge Batman fan you'd be terribly concerned with over-pricing on collector's items.

Game Review:
No spoilers whatsover (other than previous announced -gameplay- features) but I fucking love it.

Best comic book game/batman game/GOTY material ad naseum etc. Combat is freaking awesome and there are many stealth aspects thrown in for a change of pace. Visually, I like all the character designs and the arkham landscape. The voice acting is (again) nostalgic. Gordon is the only one I'm not too fond of, granted, I felt Oldman is the only person to do him Justice in the past 30-40 years?

The only major thing I have to say rubs me is that the influences can come off a bit strong at moments. Bioshock tone is a bit over-riding at parts. Both due to Unreal engine useage and inspiration for atmosphere (IE, interview tapes/color scale etc). Thankfully Bioshock 2 is not being released this year, or I would find it to be overkill.
Finally, have to say there's a missed opportunity with some of the forensic aspects, as they basically boil down to "SCAN THIS ONE OBJECT METROID STYLE, OH FUCKKKKKKKK YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH EVIDENCE" and you'll get a fingerprint or something in all of a nanosecond (wayne-tech just kicked in etc).

Instead of having to inspect different pieces of evidence, compile them and continue the investigation, it just creates a flowing trail for you to follow to the next story arc. Honestly, they should have taken hints from Condemned on this and not Metroid Prime. The riddles are -far- better at conveying Batman's critical thinking, which are more sidequests than main-game.

Other than those nags (and as I've heard sure to come, final boss) it's a fucking awesome game.

Whether or not you can fully enjoy it and not be a Batman fan I think is highly subjective, screw Gamestop or IGN for telling you otherwise. (Sorry, if you don't find a game's story/characters/universe slightly compelling, are you -really- going to enjoy the game?...come on now)

Breed1Ghost said:
You are so lucky not haven taxes ::shakes fist::

There may be no tax in NH, but as a 31 year resident, I can say that may be the only bonus. There is sweet fuck-all to do around these parts, so don't lament.

As for the game, damn cool. Got the last of the Riddler trophies last night. Looking forward to a sequel.

I'm not quite done yet, but this game is really some of the most fun I've had in a long time.
The scarecrow parts are just plain awesome.
I won't repeat anything else that people have already said in the thread, but if they could pull off a sequel as good as this, I say bring it on.

Good game.

What's even more interesting about it, is the way Rocksteady Studios are dealing with pirates.

If you pirate the game, the game itself is going to be impossible to play. By pirating and not entering the legitimate activation code, the games key features are removed, rendering it impossible to play, let alone complete.

Here's an amusing little quote from the Rocksteady Studios:

An unsuspecting pirate thinks he has got an innocent bug in the game:

I’ve got a problem when it’s time to use Batman’s glide in the game. When I hold , like it’s said to jump from one platform to another, Batman tries to open his wings again and again instead of gliding. So he fels[sic] down in a poisoning gas. If somebody could tel me, what should I do there.

The response from user Keir, an administrator on the Eidos forums, explains all:

The problem you have encountered is a hook in the copy protection, to catch out people who try and download cracked versions of the game for free. It’s not a bug in the game’s code, it’s a bug in your moral code.

Top Bottom