Batman: Arkham Asylum

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Oblivious said:
Good game.

What's even more interesting about it, is the way Rocksteady Studios are dealing with pirates.

If you pirate the game, the game itself is going to be impossible to play. By pirating and not entering the legitimate activation code, the games key features are removed, rendering it impossible to play, let alone complete.

Here's an amusing little quote from the Rocksteady Studios:

This probably just happens in the PC version only.

I must say, i wish the whole game had alot more Scarecrow moments. Those are the best parts. They remind me of the Max Payne games.

Bacongod said:
There may be no tax in NH, but as a 31 year resident, I can say that may be the only bonus. There is sweet fuck-all to do around these parts, so don't lament.

What are you talking about? There's plenty to do in NH. You need to go outside and do it. Why do you think all the "leafers"(Family Guy ^_^) come to see the foliage up in the white mountains every autumn? Or skiing/snowboarding in winter? Not to mention it's so beautiful and peaceful up there. Just had my vacation up there 2 weeks ago.

So the DLC coming thursday are new challenge maps right?

http://kotaku.com/5359021/insane-night-brings-two-new-challenge-maps-to-arkham-asylum

I was hoping on some new suits and I found this it looks sweet! :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRxyg-pXB7Q

Also I haven't beaten it yet for lack of time to play. I know there's that unlockable armored suit but if there's any others then I haven't gotten to them yet.

Batman Arkham Asylum 2 Announced: Arkham Has Moved

http://www.huliq.com/8059/89620/batman-arkham-asylum-2-announced-arkham-has-moved

there's a link to the teaser trailer for it that's in BAD quality. Excited as hell but wish it was in gotham....

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Saw that earlier tonight. But.... are you sure it's actually NOT in Gotham City? The meaning of "arkham has moved" could be that the city has become the asylum (meaning inmates are loose).

I've been playing through this game finally on PC. Loving it so far.

It's good news to hear. Exploring the few buildings at Arkham was a blast. Here's hoping the section of Gotham we get to explore will be 3x the size of Arkham. :guts:

It'd be nice to get some Catwoman, Clayface and Two-Face. :ubik:

Edit: I also hope there's more variation with the boss fights. Less bouts with hulks.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I got to play and finish the game recently. Quite fun and well done, though I felt it was lacking a little something to really make it compelling. The best part of the game in my opinion was the stealth aspect. I'd go as far as to say Kojima could learn a few things from it. The way the punks go from cocky to scared shitless as you silently take them out one by one is really pretty cool. I was a bit disappointed by the small number of popular villains that were actually in the game, but at the same time I understand that it would have been complicated to feature them all at once. Their scarecrow was also probably my favorite depiction of the character to date. It's the first time I actually find him appropriately scary. Overall the combat lacked diversity, but the various environments kept it fresh enough.

Proj2501 said:
Whew. Well, I beat the game a few days back. Today though, I just solved all the riddles. I have to say, some were a bitch to find. I didn't want to puss out and check gamefaqs or anything and I'm happy I didn't. I are BATMAN! The last 'riddle' that took me forever to solve was fuckin locating 3 last joker teeth! :mozgus:

Hahaha, I didn't have much trouble with the riddles in general but the last thing I had to find was also 3 chattering teeth and I have a feeling they were the same (Arkham Mansion, in the Warden's Office). Took me almost an hour to find them.

The Buster Wolf said:
Finally, have to say there's a missed opportunity with some of the forensic aspects, as they basically boil down to "SCAN THIS ONE OBJECT METROID STYLE, OH FUCKKKKKKKK YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH EVIDENCE" and you'll get a fingerprint or something in all of a nanosecond (wayne-tech just kicked in etc).

Instead of having to inspect different pieces of evidence, compile them and continue the investigation, it just creates a flowing trail for you to follow to the next story arc.

Yeah I have to agree, the Detective Mode was quite a misnomer. Metroid Prime would actually fit the term more just because of the number of things you could scan and the depth of information you got from it. In Arkham Asylum it was mostly a gimmick, since you follow trails literally like a sleuthhound, sniffing the ground up to your goal. The Amadeus Arkham riddle was the closest thing to an actual investigation.

Proj2501 said:

Edit: I also hope there's more variation with the boss fights. Less bouts with hulks.

Yeah, that would be good. I enjoyed seeing Clayface in his cell. :guts:

I had ordered this game last week because I have heard mostly positive reviews and I need something to tide me over until ME2. It just arrived this morning but my classes started up again today so I'll have to wait to try it out.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Aazealh said:
Hahaha, I didn't have much trouble with the riddles in general but the last thing I had to find was also 3 chattering teeth and I have a feeling they were the same (Arkham Mansion, in the Warden's Office). Took me almost an hour to find them.

Lol me too. Those three final chattering teeth in the mansion were a bitch. I think everyone misses those.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Shane said:
I had ordered this game last week because I have heard mostly positive reviews and I need something to tide me over until ME2. It just arrived this morning but my classes started up again today so I'll have to wait to try it out.
It's a great game, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Proj2501 said:
It's good news to hear. Exploring the few buildings at Arkham was a blast. Here's hoping the section of Gotham we get to explore will be 3x the size of Arkham. :guts:

Well at the end of the first one if you remember the Scarecrow surfaces the water and grabs a case of the titan venom (check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu7DOm6H4V4) and also Batman heads off to stop two-face who's robbing a bank, it's said on the radio at the end. That could possibly continue the story. Mr. Freeze, penguin, catwomen, wolfman, ra's al ghul, and the riddler wasn't really in it either.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
Well at the end of the first one if you remember the Scarecrow surfaces the water and grabs a case of the titan venom

That's Killer Croc.

Oburi said:
That could possibly continue the story. Mr. Freeze, penguin, catwomen, wolfman, ra's al ghul, and the riddler wasn't really in it either.

There's really infinite potential considering the number of villains in the Batman universe. Imagine having to track down Clayface in Gotham... Real detective work. :guts:

Aazealh said:
There's really infinite potential considering the number of villains in the Batman universe. Imagine having to track down Clayface in Gotham... Real detective work. :guts:

Based off the sneak peek trailer we know a few things if you look at it close enough.

-Two-face will be in it from all the Harvey Dent posters plastered on the walls.

-The Penguin's Iceberg lounge is shown in the clip so we can assume he'll be in it too.

-The clown mask that drops down & dangles and the name "Sionis" on the wall alludes to the other likely possibility of the Black Mask being in the game as well.

:sad: I heard Mark Hamill is no longer voicing the Joker. That his last performance of the character was in the first game. The man just can't be replaced...he says it near the end of the video.

http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/gametrailers-tv/66?ch=4&sd=1

ori said:
:sad: I heard Mark Hamill is no longer voicing the Joker. That his last performance of the character was in the first game. The man just can't be replaced...he says it near the end of the video.
http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/gametrailers-tv/66?ch=4&sd=1

Don't fret. With how well the game sold and since Mark Hamill would voice in Darksiders, I'm sure he'll return to voice his money maker.

$ always talks.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
Don't fret. With how well the game sold and since Mark Hamill would voice in Darksiders, I'm sure he'll return to voice his money maker.

$ always talks.

He might also have meant that the game would be the last time he'd play that role (as opposed to new animated series), but not necessarily that he wouldn't do a sequel.

S

Severen2k99

Theres actually several secret endings. One I got is where scarecrow grabs the box and the others that I'm aware of are of bane and killer croc.
Check em out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKg8XghN1Sc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VipwqZcsNlw&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWSeBu1Ef58&NR=1

Oburi

All praise Grail
Severen2k99 said:
Theres actually several secret endings. One I got is where scarecrow grabs the box and the others that I'm aware of are of bane and killer croc.
Check em out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKg8XghN1Sc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VipwqZcsNlw&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWSeBu1Ef58&NR=1

Thank you! I knew I wasn't going crazy. The link I had was Croc, but I was so sure that I had seen Scarecrow before. Thanks for clearing that up dude :serpico:

I loved the first one and am looking forward to the next one. With a game like this though, they could simply change the locations and villains and leave the gameplay the same and I'd be ok with that. I really can't say that for many games.

dwarfkicker said:
I loved the first one and am looking forward to the next one. With a game like this though, they could simply change the locations and villains and leave the gameplay the same and I'd be ok with that. I really can't say that for many games.

I really liked the game, but it seemed to play by itself far too often. The combos and stuff, I felt I couldn't control Batman enough. Just hit the dudes with whatever button and Batman will perform the wonderful moves by himself. I hope they make different boss fights this time, too... the fatties got old after the thirteenth battle. If it plays like the first game I'll pass, and I can't say that for many games.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Eluvei said:
I really liked the game, but it seemed to play by itself far too often. The combos and stuff, I felt I couldn't control Batman enough. Just hit the dudes with whatever button and Batman will perform the wonderful moves by himself.

Yea, try the fighting challenges. The combat may have been pretty simple during the story mode but some of the combat challenges really show just how crazy the fighting could get. Seriously some of those challenges were insanely hard, from what I remember.

Oburi said:
Yea, try the fighting challenges. The combat may have been pretty simple during the story mode but some of the combat challenges really show just how crazy the fighting could get. Seriously some of those challenges were insanely hard, from what I remember.

I did some of those, but really, it was more of the same, only with tougher enemies on a larger number. You still had to (in my case, on the PC) click them like you were crazy and that's it. It was good fun, but I wouldn't call it challenging.

I hope they go wild with the villains, with things in the vein of the crazy Scarecrow scenarios from the first. Those were plain awesome. The stealth was good too, I hope they don't drop it and make it useful in a boss fight or something more important than fighting thugs. Or does that happen in the first game? I just remember fighting fat people, evading their attacks and beating the shit out of them, seriously.

Try to get 3 medals on each combat arena. You have to start getting insanely good at calculating your next moves, especially shock and awe extreme. Also, chaining every one of Batman's moves in one single flow is pretty hard but definitely satisfying (It's an achievement on the 360/Playstation 3). The fighting challenges aren't just about beating the enemies, but at getting the highest score possible. I felt exactly the same as you when it came to the combat, but when you get into actually trying to do more than just beat enemies down, you'll see how deep the fighting system really is. I'm pretty impressed with it really.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CowTip said:
I felt exactly the same as you when it came to the combat, but when you get into actually trying to do more than just beat enemies down, you'll see how deep the fighting system really is.

The problem is that beating enemies down is all it's meant to do. Beating them down without pause, without taking damage and so on only has its place as a challenge on the side for people who can't get enough of the game.

Top Bottom