Breaking Bad

Walter said:
breakingbad_halloween1.jpg

Really Nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=W2I5msidbtI
Spoiler warnings, don't watch the video if you haven't watched the last episodes of season 3.

For you Breaking Bad fans, here's a cool POV Montage video. Minor spoilers for those that aren't up to date.

http://vimeo.com/34773713

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
Breaking Bad RPG = ) ... Walter JR's quest is fun haha.

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6701398/breaking-bad-rpg
I thought it was okay. I laughed at Walt Jr., but it should have had a sequel involving Marie's fetch quest for purple clothing items.

Question:

At the end of the season two, the plane crashes. Season 3 starts with news beats, and newspapers on Walt's floor about it. The plane crash more or less came directly from Jane's death. Walt does realize that he systematically caused the events that would lead to the plane crash right? Or is it just some sort of unrecognized irony in the great scheme of things? I figured with the newspaper on his floor about the crash, that he would put 2 and 2 together, but as far as I know nothing points to him acknowledging such. Nor, does he really show remorse. Which leads me to believe maybe he doesn't realize. Although Walt didn't know Jane's dad directly, Jane's photo is on the news cast, which Walt would be able to recognize her then. Therefore, being able to piece it all together. Just something I been stressing over, because I don't think its been addressed directly. Because Walt just hasn't really seemed to be stressing over it. Jesse on the other hand seems to hold himself responsible of Jane's death. Not knowing that Walt allowed Jane to die.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
WOW, Someone forgot the aluminum! Dude, of course he realizes. It's all over the the first episode: the BBQ scene, the assembly, when he pikes Jesse up etc etc.

I just figured maybe he would not of seemed so... insensitive... when talking about the crash. I would of thought he might be more hush-hush about it if he felt guilty.
Like, not using it as a excuse to out of a police ticket or telling the entire school to move on when its at an inappropriate time. I figured such insensitivity might imply he didn't realize the fact that he caused it.

Griffith

Nope, meet the real Walter White! Time to reevaluate what you thought you knew about him. :guts:

Griffith said:
Nope, meet the real Walter White! Time to reevaluate what you thought you knew about him. :guts:

Agreed. This dark path keeps going and going. The evolution of his character is very well done. This show has excellent writing and some of the best pacing I've ever seen in a show. I've been focused on Dexter the past 4 years, I've been missing out. So, forgive me. I'm catching up with the times and am totally being blown away. :void:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
I just figured maybe he would not of seemed so... insensitive... when talking about the crash. I would of thought he might be more hush-hush about it if he felt guilty.
I think you're not giving him enough credit. He internalizes all of the guilt. He just doesn't express it verbally, other than indirectly when he monologues in the school gym. That's pure guilt, coming out in the form of rationalization.

Some of the shows best moments, intentionally I think, are when we see Walter becoming worse and worse. His reaction to the plane crash was apparent but what really made my jaw drop was when he
watched Jessie's g/f choke in bed
. The conflict in his face was priceless. His conscious had a chance for a moment, but only for a moment. The only other time I felt was during the
last scene of
Season 4.

I recently marathoned through all of the episodes and love the show.

There are two things that don't make sense to me: one big one small:

I don't understand why Walt accepted his position as an underpaid chemistry teacher. He's a genius with the proper business and educational credentials; couldn't he have found a job that would have allowed him to build a decent amount of savings for his family over the decades?

The other thing is why Gus decides to align himself with Jesse. The whole reason why Gus and Walt have hostility is because of Jesse. He rejected the first meeting with Walt because of Jesse. Walt has to put in a good word with for Gus to not kill Jesse when it's found out that Jesse was going to poison Gus's foot soldiers. When Jesse tries to kill them again after seeing they murdered a child, Walt steps in to kill them to save his life, which is the incident that convinces Gus that he needs to eventually eliminate Walt. Then Walt plans the execution of Gale which Jesse performs, infuriating Gus even further. So naturally Gus wants to align himself with Jesse, the impulsive and self destructive junkie who killed his footsoldiers and second best chemist?

That's not to say I don't love the show; I think it's fantastic overall and I eagerly await the final season. The flashback to Gus's past, Mike's speech on half measures, and Jesse's confession/departure from the rehab group were my favorite moments.

As for Hank discovering Walt, he'll definitely need to find a much bigger piece of evidence. At this point, Walt being a meth cook is a complete impossibility in Hank's mind.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Groovy Metal Fist said:
I recently marathoned through all of the episodes and love the show.

There are two things that don't make sense to me: one big one small:
First question: Walt was disenfranchised with the scientific community after he felt they stole his ideas. That's established in season 1, I think. It might go deeper than that though--that Walt is such a broken man that he doesn't dare to reach out for true greatness. Just a thought.

Second question:
Gus didn't ally himself with Jesse. He used Jesse to drive a wedge between he and Walt. Along the way, he actually grew to respect Jesse and find him useful. I think he also began to feel guilt over his use of Jesse, since Walt and Jesse's working relationship is similar to he and his old friend's. That's all unconfirmed subtextual stuff though. But ultimately, Gus wanted to turn Jesse against Walt, and it almost worked.

Walter said:
First question: Walt was disenfranchised with the scientific community after he felt they stole his ideas. That's established in season 1, I think. It might go deeper than that though--that Walt is such a broken man that he doesn't dare to reach out for true greatness. Just a thought.

Why's he against the entire scientific community? Why not just the people at grey matter?

Walter said:
Gus didn't ally himself with Jesse. He used Jesse to drive a wedge between he and Walt. Along the way, he actually grew to respect Jesse and find him useful. I think he also began to feel guilt over his use of Jesse, since Walt and Jesse's working relationship is similar to he and his old friend's. That's all unconfirmed subtextual stuff though. But ultimately, Gus wanted to turn Jesse against Walt, and it almost worked.

Wasn't the goal of the wedge to eventually convince to Jesse to let Walter die so that Jesse could become Gus's chemist instead? If so, why would Jesse be any more reliable of an employee than Walt?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Groovy Metal Fist said:
Why's he against the entire scientific community? Why not just the people at grey matter?
I dunno, ask Walt? That's just the reason given. Makes enough sense to me for the premise of a TV show.

Wasn't the goal of the wedge to eventually convince to Jesse to let Walter die so that Jesse could become Gus's chemist instead? If so, why would Jesse be any more reliable of an employee than Walt?
Walt wouldn't work without Jesse--that was the starting point. Gus maneuvers to drive a wedge between Walt and Jesse by giving Jesse other duties and generally leaving Walt in the dark. Walt begins working overtime to fill in for Jesse, remember that stuff? The original plan was to break up that duo. But along the way, I think Gus grew even more mistrustful of Walt, and more trustful of Jesse, hence the change in plans.

Walter said:
Walt wouldn't work without Jesse--that was the starting point. Gus maneuvers to drive a wedge between Walt and Jesse by giving Jesse other duties and generally leaving Walt in the dark. Walt begins working overtime to fill in for Jesse, remember that stuff?

Yes

Walter said:
The original plan was to break up that duo. But along the way, I think Gus grew even more mistrustful of Walt, and more trustful of Jesse, hence the change in plans.

Thanks for clearing that up. Being a change in plans instead of the original idea makes a lot more sense.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Groovy Metal Fist said:
Thanks for clearing that up. Being a change in plans instead of the original idea makes a lot more sense.
Remember the look on Gus' face when Jesse passes the test in Mexico? I think that was the turning point for his respect of Jesse. At that point he trusted him and his ability.

Walter said:
Remember the look on Gus' face when Jesse passes the test in Mexico? I think that was the turning point for his respect of Jesse. At that point he trusted him and his ability.

I do remember that part. I actually remember a lot things like

When I was watching Benneke briefly losing a bit of balance on his carpet to greet Skyler and asking 'Hmmm...I wonder why they would put that detail in the shot?' I'm glad I remembered that part.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Groovy Metal Fist said:
I do remember that part. I actually remember a lot things like

When I was watching Benneke briefly losing a bit of balance on his carpet to greet Skyler and asking 'Hmmm...I wonder why they would put that detail in the shot?' I'm glad I remembered that part.
Speaking of that, the oranges that fall on Ted's head are a reference to bad luck in the Godfather movies. http://www.jgeoff.com/godfather/oranges.html

It's also pretty fucking funny regardless, of course.

Griffith

I just wanted to add that the answer to both questions really lies with Walter himself. For all his brilliance, his ego can't match it, and he's not the ultra-rational pragmatist he thinks he is, but a totally volatile asshole that can't be predicted, trusted, or counted on and burns bridges to boot. That's the major factor in both situations; in his past, he was the one that broke things off on bad terms, thinking it didn't matter because he expected to go on to bigger and better things, and in the second scenario the Jesse part of the equation was clearly a fluid situation that evolved because of Jesse's and Walter's went in different, unexpected, directions.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
I was just thinking about how much I love how
Walt beat Gus.

Basically, at the end of season 4,
I'd like to think that Walt became the badder bad guy of the two. Gus was sinister, but I think he had a heart. He didn't want to kill Victor, but he had to. I also don't think he ordered the death of the little drug dealer kid. The most evil I've seen Gus is when he threatens to kill Walt's family. Would he actually do it? I really don't know.

There are things about Gus that led me to believe that even though he was in this crazy business and driven by revenge, he was still a good person. The way he gave Jesse time off to spend time with his girlfriend's sick kid for example. In the end, he treated his employees as well as he could and was a pretty brilliant manager. Walt was a shitty employee.

I really can't wait 'til season 5. Season 4 was fucking incredible. The Walt VS Gus story was some of the best television I've ever seen.

Top Bottom