Breaking Bad

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I coincidentally had my hand on my chest during the sit down scene. Was racing like a rabbit. An intense moment. Loved that music that led up to the scene too.

Well, Gobolatula,
YOU WERE RIGHT. HOLY SMOKES!!! Talk about mind fuck! I LOVED LOVED LOVED this episode. Crazy to see two awesome characters bite the bullet in this finale. Gus, obviously, will be missed gravely from the show, but with the final season on the way, now we can finally see the story wrap up. How will Walt Jr and Hank find out, and what will happen? And also, will Jesse ever find out about the poison that Walt gave Brock? Is Walt and Jesse even going to continue in this business?

Speaking of which, one of you mentioned in a previous post, that Walt let Jesse's girlfriend, Jane, die. Was that really the case? I mean, I know it was kind of a gray area, but what could Walt have done? Call 911? I kinda feel like it was too late for Jane, and Walt just witnessed it happen. I dunno. I don't know much about drug overdoses and what kind of convulsion / reaction Jane was having exactly, but it look to me she pretty much died the moment the convulsion was over. In other words, I don't think Jesse will ever find out that Walt was there when it happened. And besides, if I remember correctly, Walt and Jesse already revisited that night and talked about it, and there was a moment when Walt could have told Jesse what happened, but he didn't.

Anyways, about Walt poisoning Brock, I'm very curious to know how / when he did it, but I can accept the fact that Walt was crafty enough to figure it out. He's a friggin genius. And really, I don't know if Jesse will ever find out about this either. I do believe 100% that Walt knew the kid wouldn't die from the poison. At least, I do believe that Walt was 100% sure that Brock would make it alive. I know Walt would do almost anything to kill Gus and save his loved ones, but killing an innocent child, a child that Jesse cares immensely about... I don't think Walt would stoop that low. I'm not saying what Walt did was forgivable, in any way, but I do think Walt knew was he was doing. But man, if this next and final season is really the ultimate showdown between Jesse and Walt, I really don't know if I can watch it. Like I said earlier, whenever these two are at each other's throats, I get very saddened by it. I see Walt and Jesse like father and son... and I really am hoping for them to make it out of this mess as friends. But maybe, I'm looking at this too idealistically.

BUT YEAH, dude, I smiled from cheek to cheek and let out a "HOLY SHEEEEYIT"... LOUDLY... IN MY ROOM BY MAH SELF... when Walt said to Sky over the phone "I won." WHAT A BOSS.

And man, the face to face showdown between Gus and Tio... chills man. Chills. Breaking Bad. You guys got your shit down! BEAUTIFULLY DONE! BRAVO.

PS, I just realized they titled this episode "Face Off"
LOLOL so true!

PPS, I was just reading some comments on the BB Facebook page, and some people mentioned how the scene with
Walt spinning the gun around on the poolside table in the second to last episode... the last time it spins... it points at the plant!!! GENIUS. I didn't even think of that!!!

PPPS,
Well, it does appear that Walt was partially responsible for Jane's death, because he indadvertedly knocked her on her back which then caused her to choke on her vomit. I guess you all knew that already, but this is news for me!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
DirectDK said:
How will Walt Jr and Hank find out, and what will happen? And also, will Jesse ever find out about the poison that Walt gave Brock? Is Walt and Jesse even going to continue in this business?
I'm pretty sure Jesse will find out and be pitted against Walt by the end of the series. He's being set up to be his ultimate nemesis. As for Hank and the family, I think Hank will uncover Walt being Heisenberg. The clues are there in the timing of every scenario if he just puts 2 and 2 together.

Speaking of which, one of you mentioned in a previous post, that Walt let Jesse's girlfriend, Jane, die. Was that really the case? I mean, I know it was kind of a gray area, but what could Walt have done? Call 911? I kinda feel like it was too late for Jane, and Walt just witnessed it happen. I dunno. I don't know much about drug overdoses and what kind of convulsion / reaction Jane was having exactly, but it look to me she pretty much died the moment the convulsion was over. In other words, I don't think Jesse will ever find out that Walt was there when it happened. And besides, if I remember correctly, Walt and Jesse already revisited that night and talked about it, and there was a moment when Walt could have told Jesse what happened, but he didn't.
Walt had a moment where he could have turned her on her side and saved her from choking on her own vomit, even before doing the right thing and calling paramedics. He chose not to save her. It's why he was racked with guilt over the plane crash.

Anyways, about Walt poisoning Brock, I'm very curious to know how / when he did it, but I can accept the fact that Walt was crafty enough to figure it out. He's a friggin genius. And really, I don't know if Jesse will ever find out about this either.
I am 99.9% sure Jesse will ultimately find out. That is too tasty a plotline to be left hanging the way it is.

BUT YEAH, dude, I smiled from cheek to cheek and let out a "HOLY SHEEEEYIT"... LOUDLY... IN MY ROOM BY MAH SELF... when Walt said to Sky over the phone "I won." WHAT A BOSS.
It was a cool line yeah, but it was also a very disturbing moment for Walt's development. "That bomb in the nursing home? (and the poisoned child and burned down super-meth lab that no one knows about yet?) Yeah, that was me." People on other forums were joking about Walt being dead and only Heisenberg being alive. I thought that was silly before. But I didn't see a trace of Walt anywhere in this episode.

And man, the face to face showdown between Gus and Tio... chills man. Chills. Breaking Bad. You guys got your shit down! BEAUTIFULLY DONE! BRAVO.
I loved it, but I really was hoping for one more scene between Walt and Gus. Those two hadn't seen each other in too long. But Mike was right...

What I really wonder right now is what the arc of Season 5 is going to be. They pulled a HUGE u-turn in this episode. The meth production is gone. Almost everyone who knew about Jesse and Walt's involvement in it are gone. The only thing I can put together for the final season is that Hank's investigation will hit paydirt, and it will be a slow reveal about Walt being a key piece of that meth production. Either way, Walt has to die.

PS: These spoiler tags are obnoxious! ... but I really wouldn't want anyone's surprise to be ruined on our behalf.

Just finished the season finale. Hooooly shit.
What I really took away from this episode was Gus, man. What an awe-inspiring scene with him in the hospital. I went back and watched it "twice" and both times I was so wide-eyed at my television I didn't know what to say. He wasn't ready to go yet. Even though it was too late to matter.

gReAt fiNale.

Walter said:
I honestly wasn't very fond of the show until sometime in Season 2. Those first few episodes feel very spastic and unrealistic, as if they weren't sure which direction they were going. But by season 3 you will be hooked. And 4 well... need I even say anything? :guts:
Haha, can't wait to be all caught up. Finished up on Season 1 in the whee hours this morning. I actually liked the dynamic of the 1st season where it isn't solely about "Hey, I wanna make this, let's do it" and go in that singular direction. I liked how they showed Walt's personal life get chaotic but still make sense at the end of the day. The acting surprised me, top notch. I'm hoping Cranston won awards of sorts for the show. I loved him in Malcolm in the Middle.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
The acting surprised me, top notch. I'm hoping Cranston won awards of sorts for the show. I loved him in Malcolm in the Middle.
Cranston has won the Emmy for "best lead actor in a drama series" for every year that Breaking Bad has been eligible for the award.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Regarding a few comments people have made:

People on other forums were joking about Walt being dead and only Heisenberg being alive. I thought that was silly before. But I didn't see a trace of Walt anywhere in this episode.
I have to agree. Gobs and I were talking about this a few weeks back, but in that scene where
he's digging around for the money underneath the house, realizes that a huge portion of it is gone, and just starts laughing hysterically... at that point, it's fair to say that Walt had checked out and Heisenberg took over.

Also, I feel like Jesse is becoming more and more of a "true" protagonist of the series. I'll always feel some sympathy for Walt, though, so it gives me the shivers to think of them pitted against each other in the final episodes of the last season (more than likely)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Grail said:
... at that point, it's fair to say that Walt had checked out and Heisenberg took over.
There's no doubt that he tapped into his dark side in order to come out "winning" on the other side of this episode. But I'm just not so sure there needs to be a permanent shift for the character. And if it is, it begs the question what's a Heisenberg left to do in a world without a meth lab and no (known) adversaries? Go home and be a family man? :ganishka:

Also, I feel like Jesse is becoming more and more of a "true" protagonist of the series. I'll always feel some sympathy for Walt, though, so it gives me the shivers to think of them pitted against each other in the final episodes of the last season (more than likely)
I agree with both sentiments here.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Here's a fitting tribute to Gus I found.
R.I.P. you glorious son of a bitch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr_dRNAj1Pg

Walter said:
I'm pretty sure Jesse will find out and be pitted against Walt by the end of the series. He's being set up to be his ultimate nemesis. As for Hank and the family, I think Hank will uncover Walt being Heisenberg. The clues are there in the timing of every scenario if he just puts 2 and 2 together.

I'm actually kinda surprised that whole freak car accident that Walt pulled on Hank wasn't a red flag to Hank. But I do agree, Hank will most likely find out. I'm curious to know how he would react. Would he side with his moral side and uphold the law? Or will he side with his family? I'd like to think Hank will side with his family, but again, I'm an idealistic person. Does Hank owe is ability to walk again because Walt is the one paying for all his medical bills? Or could we point the finger at Walt that he's the ultimate reason why Hank got attacked in the first place? I mean, yes, indirectly, Walt's actions has brought upon so much pain and suffering on the people he loves, but I don't believe EVERYTHING is completely his fault. Everyone had his/her own part.

Walter said:
Walt had a moment where he could have turned her on her side and saved her from choking on her own vomit, even before doing the right thing and calling paramedics. He chose not to save her. It's why he was racked with guilt over the plane crash.

Yeah, it seems that was the case, now looking back, and analyzing the scene with more scrutiny. It does change my perspective on Walt a bit. I didn't realize it would have been so easy for Walt to save Jane. I didn't know it was the choking of the vomit that lead to her ultimate death. I thought it was a drug overdose. About the plane crash though, I've always been on the fence about this too. I mean, I do realize of course Walt felt guilt and remorse about the plane crash... but again, can we really blame it on Walt? I mean, there were so many other factors that lead up to that point with Jesse/Jane/Jane's father... just because Walt didn't alter the outcome, doesn't mean he's responsible. Anyways, I'm not saying that's what you are saying, I'm just opening up the discussion (although it is 2 seasons old). And actually, of all the season finales, the season 2 finale was probably my least favorite. I still liked it a ton, don't get me wrong, but all those flashforwards to the pool and the teddy bear, I felt the plane crash came a bit too out of the blue for me.

Walter said:
It was a cool line yeah, but it was also a very disturbing moment for Walt's development. "That bomb in the nursing home? (and the poisoned child and burned down super-meth lab that no one knows about yet?) Yeah, that was me." People on other forums were joking about Walt being dead and only Heisenberg being alive. I thought that was silly before. But I didn't see a trace of Walt anywhere in this episode

Hahahaha. Yeah, I'm just still trying, with all of my might, to believe that Walt will make it out "alright" at the end of the series. I still see Walt in there!!! He did his very best to protect his family in the last 2 episodes, including Hank. He could have let Gus "handle" Hank and it could have been done with (for the time being). However, aside from the bomb in the nursing home + the lily of the valley poison, I thought it was pretty messed up when he asked his neighbor to go into the house first!!! I was ON THE EDGE OF MY SEAT for that scene. Damn, Walt!

Walter said:
What I really wonder right now is what the arc of Season 5 is going to be. They pulled a HUGE u-turn in this episode. The meth production is gone. Almost everyone who knew about Jesse and Walt's involvement in it are gone. The only thing I can put together for the final season is that Hank's investigation will hit paydirt, and it will be a slow reveal about Walt being a key piece of that meth production. Either way, Walt has to die.

I personally think the meth dealings are done and over with for Walt and Jesse. I think the rest of the season/series wrap up will be about the reveal and covering the tracks. Only time will tell!

Does anyone know when Season 5 plans to air? This is the first time I'm "current" with the show. I saw Seasons 1-4 in the past month, so now this is the first time I have to WAIT for new episodes. HOW SAD =(. Well at least, I have Berserk, Spartacus, and Battlestar Galactica Blood and Chrome in January, and Game of Thrones in April =).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Before I get into replies, I wanted to show you guys something that's been going around on Twitter and forums today. These two shots were back-to-back in one of the opening scenes of the Season 4 premiere, in Gail's apartment. THIS, and THIS (on the right...)

DirectDK said:
I'm actually kinda surprised that whole freak car accident that Walt pulled on Hank wasn't a red flag to Hank. But I do agree, Hank will most likely find out. I'm curious to know how he would react. Would he side with his moral side and uphold the law? Or will he side with his family? I'd like to think Hank will side with his family, but again, I'm an idealistic person. Does Hank owe is ability to walk again because Walt is the one paying for all his medical bills? Or could we point the finger at Walt that he's the ultimate reason why Hank got attacked in the first place? I mean, yes, indirectly, Walt's actions has brought upon so much pain and suffering on the people he loves, but I don't believe EVERYTHING is completely his fault. Everyone had his/her own part.
Hank isn't going to take the news well. And I really don't think he'd put the family over justice in this case. If(when) he truly finds out about Walt being Heisenberg, and all the shit that he's had h is hand in over the years, it is going to be ugly. And I can't wait!

Yeah, it seems that was the case, now looking back, and analyzing the scene with more scrutiny. It does change my perspective on Walt a bit. I didn't realize it would have been so easy for Walt to save Jane. I didn't know it was the choking of the vomit that lead to her ultimate death. I thought it was a drug overdose. About the plane crash though, I've always been on the fence about this too. I mean, I do realize of course Walt felt guilt and remorse about the plane crash... but again, can we really blame it on Walt? I mean, there were so many other factors that lead up to that point with Jesse/Jane/Jane's father... just because Walt didn't alter the outcome, doesn't mean he's responsible. Anyways, I'm not saying that's what you are saying, I'm just opening up the discussion (although it is 2 seasons old). And actually, of all the season finales, the season 2 finale was probably my least favorite. I still liked it a ton, don't get me wrong, but all those flashforwards to the pool and the teddy bear, I felt the plane crash came a bit too out of the blue for me.
By definition, Walt made choices that ended with these things happening. Whether or not he's culpable for the consequences directly isn't really the point. He clearly feels guilt because of the outcomes, and it's weighed on his rapidly diminishing soul.

Hahahaha. Yeah, I'm just still trying, with all of my might, to believe that Walt will make it out "alright" at the end of the series. I still see Walt in there!!! He did his very best to protect his family in the last 2 episodes, including Hank. He could have let Gus "handle" Hank and it could have been done with (for the time being). However, aside from the bomb in the nursing home + the lily of the valley poison, I thought it was pretty messed up when he asked his neighbor to go into the house first!!! I was ON THE EDGE OF MY SEAT for that scene. Damn, Walt!
I think this episode proved that his motivations were beyond merely protecting his family. Take note of how all the characters are portrayed in this episode. The family is guarded by the DEA. Gus is alone in his room. Walt is plotting Gus' murder. Who's really the sinister one in this case? Who really needs protection? I think Walt undertook these actions to free himself from Gus, plain and simple. But sure, that threat clearly went a long way to push him to this state of mind. And Gus was out to get Walt, as evidenced by that pair snooping around. But in the end? "I won." Yeah, that was a smile on his face. He's enjoying this. He's not being pushed around anymore.

Does anyone know when Season 5 plans to air? This is the first time I'm "current" with the show. I saw Seasons 1-4 in the past month, so now this is the first time I have to WAIT for new episodes. HOW SAD =(. Well at least, I have Berserk, Spartacus, and Battlestar Galactica Blood and Chrome in January, and Game of Thrones in April =).
Breaking Bad is a summer show, so season 5 will probably be in July or August. What we don't know is if the final 16 (yes, 16, not 13) episodes will be aired as one season, or if they'll break it up differently, like The Sopranos did for their final season.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
The bear is something I sorta forgot about. It does have a burned off side of its face and a missing eye.

You know, for a show that's been pretty close to realistic most of the time, I wonder if it's at all possible that
somebody could walk out of a room after a bomb explodes, having half their face blown off. Maybe it's kind of like a chicken running around after its head gets chopped off.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
The bear is something I sorta forgot about. It does have a burned off side of its face and a missing eye.

You know, for a show that's been pretty close to realistic most of the time, I wonder if it's at all possible that
somebody could walk out of a room after a bomb explodes, having half their face blown off. Maybe it's kind of like a chicken running around after its head gets chopped off.
I don't think the show's very realistic at all. This wasn't too out of character for it. But yes, slightly ridiculous. I did sort of ask myself internally: "Did they really just do that?" But upon reflection, it created a pretty memorable moment. At first I thought he was a Terminator. :badbone:

X

Xem

The scene with
Gus walking out like Two-Face
had me floored, that was amazing. :ubik: Go Walt!
I also love how
we were all about half right regarding Brock's poisoning. Walt did do it, but it wasn't Ricin! Brilliant.

The question now is, where to go next season?

For some reason I forsee Walt Jr. commenting on how his father accidentally called him Jesse being the first domino to start the epic fall of Heisenberg... er, Walt... or whoever he is. That and the obvious ties to the laundry place/Gus and whatnot.

I don't see one reason on this beautiful planet why Walt would ever tell Jesse about the poisoning or Jane, so it's hard for me to see the ultimate showdown scenario at the moment... at least regarding those particular situations. Though they could reveal themselves somehow... Saul, maybe?

One way or the other wow... just WOW... :ubik:

What I loved most about this episode was the writers showing that they have the hugest balls on television. Most shows would keep the meth lab and Gus around, ya know, just in case they run out of ideas and need to backtrack a little (ahem, LOST).

Eerily I made this exact sentiment after watching the finale. I also mentioned how this is easily in my Top Series of All Time list and accidentally introduced a heated discussion. This and Game of Thrones. Love it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
For some reason I forsee Walt Jr. commenting on how his father accidentally called him Jesse being the first domino to start the epic fall of Heisenberg... er, Walt... or whoever he is.
I could be wrong, but I think that line was there more to establish (to the audience) that Walt truly does see Jesse as a son to him. Not necessarily something that will bite him in the ass later for letting it slip. But who knows.

I don't see one reason on this beautiful planet why Walt would ever tell Jesse about the poisoning or Jane, so it's hard for me to see the ultimate showdown scenario at the moment... at least regarding those particular situations. Though they could reveal themselves somehow...
I wouldn't rule a confession out if Walt develops a guilty conscience after a series of unforeseen events. Also, Mike is still out of the picture right now, but I'll bet he knows exactly who killed Gus. How he feels about all that is still up in the air. I'm guessing Gus was simply an employer to him. If anything he'd have allegiance to Jesse, which could make Mike a dangerous enemy to Walt in the future.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
I agree about Mike. I don't think he'll have any lingering fondness for Gus, and it'll be hard for him not to be impressed if he ever finds out how his old boss was offed. :carcus:

As for a confession from Walt to Jesse about what he's done, I don't see it happening out of guilt. Walt always puts Jesse down and tries to push the envelope of how far he can push him when something goes wrong, so I can picture Walt spilling the beans in some sort of outburst, caused by either extreme end-game anger or some sort of substance. The latter might be a bit unlikely, but it's happened before, so who knows. Though ultimately, Walt's arrogance will always be his tragic flaw, so I definitely won't rule it out as a cause for ANYTHING bad that happens to him. :ganishka:

Finished season 2 last night, Skyler's inquisitiveness and her decision at the end was awesome. The scene with Walt and Gretchen at the restaurant was intense. There's a lot more I liked about this season, definitely better than the first. My season 3 marathon starts tonight, here we go.

Marathons are fun indeed ;) ... I finished season 3 a few minutes ago and it was better than season 2! It looked like everyone got a chance to grow in character. A few surprises here and there kept it entertaining. The end was epic. Netflix doesn't have season 4, but I'll pick it up somehow and get current soon. I can't wait to see the new dynamics of Walt's relationship with Gus or Mike.

X

Xem

IncantatioN said:
Marathons are fun indeed ;) ... I finished season 3 a few minutes ago and it was better than season 2! It looked like everyone got a chance to grow in character. A few surprises here and there kept it entertaining. The end was epic. Netflix doesn't have season 4, but I'll pick it up somehow and get current soon. I can't wait to see the new dynamics of Walt's relationship with Gus or Mike.

If you have On Demand it should be on there, if not the internet is always here.

Finished season 4 after another marathon. That end surprised me a lot, loved it. I'm in DK's shoes ... *pout* gotta wait for next season >_<'.
I'd like to see Skyler and Walt discussing what they both went through individually or the choices they made. Walt hasn't really had a chance to confront her about lending over 600K to Ted yet, so that'll be a fun scene unless it's all forgotten about! I agree Mike's a wild-card for the next season, but Walt's transformation into such a shrewd guy is the real wild-card. Till season 2 I've been feeling for Walt and it's shifted to Jesse, even more so now. Jesse's been broken often and manipulated too much to the point where IF he were to find out about Walt either having a slight shot of saving his ex-girlfriend or of Brock's poisoning, he will surely lose his mind.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
breakingbad_halloween1.jpg

Top Bottom