Dark Horse Releases

Oburi

All praise Grail
Aazealh said:
Maybe the day they release a deluxe edition.

God let's hope so. Even though the chances are slim I do honestly believe it will happen one day. Maybe it'll be 20 years from now or maybe DH will get tired of not having any Berserk to sell us once we catch up to the Japanese, but at some point somebody has to go back and release this series with the respect it deserved from the beginning. If other series like Battle Royale can get deluxe editions I think we have a shot at least.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Oburi said:
God let's hope so. Even though the chances are slim I do honestly believe it will happen one day. Maybe it'll be 20 years from now or maybe DH will get tired of not having any Berserk to sell us once we catch up to the Japanese, but at some point somebody has to go back and release this series with the respect it deserved from the beginning. If other series like Battle Royale can get deluxe editions I think we have a shot at least.

I'd definitely buy another edition of Berserk if it meant better quality. Hell, that's why I'm doing these days with my movie collection, haha. :void:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Hakusensha news release, 11-July, 2016
We are pleased to present to the fans of BERSERK an enhanced edition for their loyal support through the years! Contained in each deluxe volume are:
-higher-stock paper and 100% larger print size.
-select colored pages
-entire series collected into 10 massive volumes
-all new painted recreations of each cover
-glossary of terms and characters introduced thus far
-comments from creator Kentarou Miura at end of each episode
-previously unpublished materials.

The deluxe editions will retail for ¥6,000 and will be on sale soon. 12-Nov get!

:isidro:

Hey... I can dream. :void:

Aazealh said:
What Dark Horse uses or not is completely irrelevant; they have no legitimacy.
That's funny, I bought DH copies because of the translation in the first place, I was a little confused by all that scanlations at that time. Oh, well I can still enjoy the art. :void:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Konketsuji said:
That's funny, I bought DH copies because of the translation in the first place, I was a little confused by all that scanlations at that time. Oh, well I can still enjoy the art. :void:

Dark Horse's edition remains better than scanlations in any case, so you have no reason to regret your choice.

Tirade

Hai Yai, Forces!
Aazealh said:
Dark Horse's edition remains better than scanlations in any case, so you have no reason to regret your choice.

Yeah, that's for sure. From a translation standpoint, I think names are always the biggest issue (ie - Knight of Skeleton, Raksas). From what I've seen, I think DH has captured the main points of the Berserk story via their translation.

From a quality standpoint, I think Berserk needs more work. Berserk is a money making title for DH, yet they constantly neglect it. Odd business move to say the least.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Tirade said:
From a quality standpoint, I think Berserk needs more work. Berserk is a money making title for DH, yet they constantly neglect it. Odd business move to say the least.

Yes, their handling of it could be better, but like Aaz said, it's more than preferable to scanlations. Plus, who says they won't release better editions in the future? It's not like these will be the only versions released in America until the end of time. I have faith that one day Dark Horse or someone else will get it right.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
I know this has been discussed in bits here and there, but seriously... SERIOUSLY... What do you think Dark Horse's next move will be once they officially catch up with the Japanese volume releases. I personally hope they make some deal where you can purchase episodes online as they come out in Japan, but I seriously doubt that'll happen. Though it'd be a smart move.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Gobolatula said:
I know this has been discussed in bits here and there, but seriously... SERIOUSLY... What do you think Dark Horse's next move will be once they officially catch up with the Japanese volume releases. I personally hope they make some deal where you can purchase episodes online as they come out in Japan, but I seriously doubt that'll happen. Though it'd be a smart move.

Eew I hate that. They should release the individual episodes like they do with Blade of the Immortal, in the large size that they appear in Young Animal. I think everyone would buy those. That's a smart idea considering how long Berserk is to continue running even now that Dark Horse is catching up and they will have nothing Berserk related to print for extended periods of time.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
I don't think much will change once they've caught up to vol 34. It'll just get released every 10 months or so instead of every 2.

I would also love it if they sold the episodes online as they came out in Japan, and I don't really understand Oburi's aversion to it. Oburi, I take it you'd rather have the episodes in a physical copy, like a magazine? Seems to me that would cost a lot more.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
I would also love it if they sold the episodes online as they came out in Japan, and I don't really understand Oburi's aversion to it. Oburi, I take it you'd rather have the episodes in a physical copy, like a magazine? Seems to me that would cost a lot more.

Either way, to be an official prepublication in English would be great, I think we can all agree on that. Digital or physical, I'll take anything they throw at me.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
Either way, to be an official prepublication in English would be great, I think we can all agree on that. Digital or physical, I'll take anything they throw at me.
This is absolutely true, I won't turn anything down. I just think that because a physical copy would cost more to produce than a digital one, it's less feasible for DH.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Walter said:
This is absolutely true, I won't turn anything down. I just think that because a physical copy would cost more to produce than a digital one, it's less feasible for DH.

So would releasing the entire volumes online instead of book format. And they do that for some series that don't sell well. But for Berserk they never will, so if they did release individual episodes why would they go only online? to save a buck? Like I said it works for Blade of the Immortal, it could work like that for berserk. They could at least try it and see how many of us buy it :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
So would releasing the entire volumes online instead of book format. And they do that for some series that don't sell well. But for Berserk they never will, so if they did release individual episodes why would they go only online? to save a buck?
Quite simply, yes. Dark Horse is a business -- they're in this to make money. They're not going to invest in something unless they can feasibly make a large profit. Even in their highest form, episodic releases would be merely supplemental to the core volume releases, which is where the company makes their big bucks. And launching a whole new magazine or comic just to support Berserk's sporadic release schedule sounds like a risky investment to me for such a "groovy" company like Dark Horse.

To take a step back, I'm curious, does Dark Horse already have a serialized magazine they print every month or so where these episodes could feasibly be included? As I understand it, they stopped doing episodic releases for Blade of the Immortal. So if they no longer publish a print medium like that, you're talking about creating a whole new magazine or even individual monthly comic. That's a very expensive operation. Whereas, they already have "eComics" as a section on their website, ready to go for Berserk (http://www.darkhorse.com/Features/eComics), and it'd cost a nominal bandwidth fee + the normal translation price.

Again, I'm not saying I wouldn't buy a print version. That'd be great too. But in this economic climate I think it's pretty unrealistic to expect Dark Horse to expand their lineup in this way when there's already a cheaper, viable option available.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Yea Walter that does make sense. I don't care for ecomics though, personally. They should come out with a monthly magazine though (if though don't already, I really don't know) that contain all sarts of Dark Horse related info and articles as well as new episodes from some series that month, that would be totally awesome and I would definitely subscribe to that.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
They should come out with a monthly magazine though (if though don't already, I really don't know) that contain all sarts of Dark Horse related info and articles as well as new episodes from some series that month
They apparently had one, SUPER MANGA BLAST. But it was canned in 2006: http://manga.about.com/od/mangamagazines/p/supermangablast.htm

I hate to say it but something like this would be more suited to a larger company.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
I don't know how the US division of Shonen Sunday gets away with it, but they're offering free current chapters each week of Rumiko Takahashi's lastes series. I wouldn't expect Dark Horse to give us an online version for FREE, but... It'd be a genius move: like $.99 per episode or something. They'd have my money.

Someone should bring this up on the Dark Horse forums if they haven't already.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Gobolatula said:
I don't know how the US division of Shonen Sunday gets away with it, but they're offering free current chapters each week of Rumiko Takahashi's lastes series. I wouldn't expect Dark Horse to give us an online version for FREE, but... It'd be a genius move: like $.99 per episode or something. They'd have my money.

Someone should bring this up on the Dark Horse forums if they haven't already.

It's been discussed a little bit before, unfortunately those boards are a bit dead these days. I don't even think the Dark Horse moderators even look at those boards anymore. It's probably better to just email them directly with ideas and such, they aren't so terrible when it comes replying to emails.

Oburi said:
It's been discussed a little bit before, unfortunately those boards are a bit dead these days. I don't even think the Dark Horse moderators even look at those boards anymore. It's probably better to just email them directly with ideas and such, they aren't so terrible when it comes replying to emails.

They never replied to anything I sent them

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Vol 32 came out last week officially, but my copy from Amazon won't ship until later this week :sad:

Anyone else bought theirs yet? If so, how about some impressions or nuances caught?

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
I got my copy of volume 32 last week and it's pretty great.

Dark Horse has really done a good job, in my opinion. I didn't notice anything wonky in the translation, aside from when Guts agrees to settle his score with Zodd after the ordeal with Ganishka:

Zodd: We'll fight to the death after I wipe him out.
Guts: Oh, sure!
Guts: Who was it that splashed down, burnt to a crisp?!

The "Oh, sure!" could be seen to be a little sarcastic, where I remeber his reply to be something more straightforward.

Other than that, I didn't have any issues reading. They did a good job clarifying complicated stuff, like Farnese's magic lesson.

The SFX translations are still tiny and unintrusive, which is great.

On another note, it's awesome to finally have the domestic release of the volume where I started following Berserk as it came out. It's a trip.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Gob, that's what I was looking for. Sarcasm in Guts hmmm... it doesn't sit right with me, but the SKnet translation of that scene wasn't terribly different.

[quote author=Re: Episode 277: Desperate Attack]
Zodd: I think it's time for you to get off.
I’ll deal with you after I’ve eliminated him.

Guts: Shove it!
Who would let themselves get tossed charred into the ocean?
[/quote]

The tone of the jibe from Guts here is a continuation of their tough-guy banter a few panels back, which always gets a laugh out of me:

Zodd: Such thirst for blood ... Makes the back of my neck stand up with excitement.
Guts: Is running and hiding all the immortal Zodd can manage?!
Zodd: Easily said for a passenger.
:zodd: + :guts: : The buddy comedy duo of the year.

Top Bottom