Games for 2008

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
dwarfkicker said:
Too Human looks like an MMO. And unless you're a fan of those types a games I foresee a lot of people passing on this.

Turns out a lot of people are fans of MMOGs.

berserker88

The Raging Demon
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of The Patriots (PS3)

Metal Gear Solid 2 Sons of Liberty Digital Graphic Novel (PSP)

Gran Turismo 5 (PS3)

Tekken 6 (PS3)

Ninja Gaiden 2 (XBOX 360)

Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword (DS)

Super Smash Brothers Brawl (Wii)

Street Fighter IV (??)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Omega Tom Hanks said:
Metal Gear Solid 2 Sons of Liberty Digital Graphic Novel (PSP)
Wow, really? Wasn't there enough bullshit in the original game? They had to go and make a graphic novel out of it, possibly EXPOUNDING upon said bullshit? Whew. Startin' to stink in here. Let's open a wind-OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH there goes your copy of the game. So sorry! MAWWY CWISMAS! :troll:

Id like to make a note of it, that the director of Too Human never compared his game to Devil May Cry like most of you guys are saying. He made a reference to it and Ninja Gaiden and how playing those games for very long periods of time makes you physically tired (hand cramps, eye fatigue, etc.) and that he wanted to make an action RPG you could play for hours on end without having to take breaks because of fatigue. That's one of the reasons they have you using the sticks to do attacks and not the face buttons, because its less strain on the fingers to simply push the stick in a direction then slam the X button 20 times to pull off one combo.

Also Too Human is looking better and better every time I see it so Im not sure what you guys are talking about. The animations are getting better with every trailer, and the visuals themselves are improving as well... also if they can pull off the fact that they want ZERO loading times, Ill be damn happy with the visuals and animations as they are right now because I dont think loading times should even exist in the "Next Gen" of consoles.

Oh and also, Too Human isnt an action game. Its an action RPG with a fleshed out fighting system but a loot system modeled after games like WoW where enemies all drop items and there is a rare rare chance they'll drop very good (epic) items, etc.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Check out 1up's coverage of the Final Fantasy fighting game: Dissidia, for PSP:

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3165167

Sounds a lot like a 3d Smash Bros. with FF characters.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
It sounded good...

I'm a big enough Final Fantasy fan to be interested in this -- even though I don't have a PSP (yet). But we all know that it'll sell if the plebs get to play as Sephiroth. It'd be a complete failure if you can only choose good guys. And what's the point of not including Cloud? We all know he's coming, so why hold off?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Uriel said:
And what's the point of not including Cloud? We all know he's coming, so why hold off?
Probably to stave off the Ehrgeiz comments and open the door for other characters. If they capitalize on this and make every major character playable, it could be pretty cool.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Walter said:
Probably to stave off the Ehrgeiz comments and open the door for other characters.

I had forgotten about that game. Years of repressing it, me thinks.

I know it's not FF related (technically) but I think it would be kinda cool if they threw the chaps from Vagrant Story in (not the greatest idea, I know). Speaking of Ivalice, can we safely assume that we'll wind up with Vaan and not someone else for FFXII? Basch and Gabranth/maybe Vayne would be a better choice, in my opinion -- though none of them really lend themselves to the "advent children" style of fighting, which is what worries me.

I'm looking forward to mostly strategy games next year, namely:

Endwar for 360

Sins of a Solar Empire for PC

Halowars ( :ganishka:) for 360

Ninja Gaiden 2 for 360

and finally (but not least) Spore, if it ever shows its mangy self. :troll:

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Walter said:
Check out 1up's coverage of the Final Fantasy fighting game: Dissidia, for PSP:

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3165167

Sounds a lot like a 3d Smash Bros. with FF characters.
Ehergiez 2.0? :troll:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Troll indeed since that's even a parallel my mom would make if she saw that Square was making a fighting game incorporating FF characters. But this sounds at least somewhat appealing with the system that's been described.

Pesmerga

This is going to be one hell of a party
I'm waiting for :
Final Fantasy XIII and Versus XIII (with luck), Devil May Cry 4, Metal Gear Solid 4, GTA IV, Tekken 6, Soul Calibur 4, White Knight Story, Yakuza 3, The King of Fighters 98 Ultimate match, Gran Turismo 5, Silent Hill 5, Resident Evil 5 (with luck), Disgaea 3, Lost Odyssey (US version), Ninja Gaiden II, Haze, Infinite Undiscovery.

And maybe a few pics or trailers of :
God Of War III, The king of fighters XII, Assassin's Creed 2 ant Uncharted 2 (with a monstrously luck for the last 2). :guts:

Oburi

All praise Grail
One month till Devil May Cry 4. Let the countdown begin! With my luck I bet my xbox will crash the day before it comes out. I can't freaking wait. :guts:

Edit: I didn't realize it but the week after DMC4 is released Lost Odyssey comes out. Then one week later it's Dynasty Warriors 6. February rocks! At least I'll have something to keep me busy next month.

snake1mi

Blood is just red sweat.
Still theres no new gears of war 2 info. Anyways, Im waiting for Metal Gear Solid 4, Resident Evil 5, Devil May Cry 4, Super Smash Bros Brawl, Ninja Gaiden II, Gran Turismo 5 and offcourse a remake off FF7 or FF9, which will probably never happen.

Oburi

All praise Grail
theblackswordman said:
Still theres no new gears of war 2 info. Anyways, Im waiting for Metal Gear Solid 4, Resident Evil 5, Devil May Cry 4, Super Smash Bros Brawl, Ninja Gaiden II, Gran Turismo 5 and offcourse a remake off FF7 or FF9, which will probably never happen.

FF7 remake would be so great. I think it will definitely happen, but it will obviously be years down the road.

snake1mi

Blood is just red sweat.
Like you said, could be. But Squareenix is probably busy making other games. I dont have ps3 yet but will buy one as soon as mgs4 will be released. I think that a remake of ff7 is a good enough reason to buy a ps3, even if youve played the original. I dont give a damn if there will be no vpicing (which will probably be) but would like to have a option for japanese/english voicing.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Has Square even hinted at a remake of FF7, or are you guys just using (probably well-founded) video game industry logic and thinking it will happen eventually at this rate? I know Square made that FF7 fly-through-Midgar cinematic when the PS3 was being shown off, way back in 2006, but that was as much a real game as Final Fantasy SGI was.

CnC

Ad Oculos
They've made no announcements and as far as anyone's been told there are no plans to re-make FF7.

However given SE's recent history and FF7's popularity I see it as fairly inevitable. However I wouldn't expect to hear anything until WELL after FF13 and it's subsequent spin-offs.

This is going to be a good year, I feel. I think we'll have a better guage for the bigger titles to be released in the second half of the year around E3, but the first half of the year is already looking pretty sweet. I'm anxious to give DMC4 a spin :)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
They've made no announcements and as far as anyone's been told there are no plans to re-make FF7.

However given SE's recent history and FF7's popularity I see it as fairly inevitable. However I wouldn't expect to hear anything until WELL after FF13 and it's subsequent spin-offs.

The problem is the cost. Remaking FFIII on the NDS wasn't very costly, nor did it require a lot of manpower. And now they're reusing the engine for other games too. The DQ remakes are the same, they're basically enhanced ports of the PS1 versions. Now, what about FFVII? Well, if they just ported it to the NDS, I'm sure they'd make loads of cash. Easy money, like the rest. It's already getting plenty of playtime from PSP owners through the PS1 emulator. But to remake the game for the PS3, with up-to-date graphics, renewed gameplay, additional content, new cinematics, and so on? It'd cost a ton of money and would mobilize a lot of people. And that's more than what they're willing to do for a remake, which I can understand. They'd rather make new games.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
The problem is the cost. Remaking FFIII on the NDS wasn't very costly, nor did it require a lot of manpower. And now they're reusing the engine for other games too. The DQ remakes are the same, they're basically enhanced ports of the PS1 versions. Now, what about FFVII? Well, if they just ported it to the NDS, I'm sure they'd make loads of cash. Easy money, like the rest. It's already getting plenty of playtime from PSP owners through the PS1 emulator. But to remake the game for the PS3, with up-to-date graphics, renewed gameplay, additional content, new cinematics, and so on? It'd cost a ton of money and would mobilize a lot of people. And that's more than what they're willing to do for a remake, which I can understand. They'd rather make new games.

Well the remake doesn't HAVE to be on the PS3 I suppose. They could do DS port, like they do with others. I'm just saying I don't think they're done with the FF7 universe, and wouldn't really be surprised in the least should a remake of FF7 be announced.

Plus it feels like they're constantly updating the art assets for that game in some form or another, so someone in there thinks that spending all that money on the franchise is worth it.

That said, I'm not a big FF7 fan. It has that special place of being one of the first jRPGs I ever played, but I really wouldn't care in the slightest should a remake be announced.

Top Bottom