Mass Effect 2

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Could be, but it could also just be more cinematics, which take up a lot of space.

Not when they use the in-game graphics engine. :slan: I predict (hope) that the game will be twice as long as the first one!

Ah, and I've pre-ordered my copy of the Collector's Edition on Amazon.com, complete with Iron Man Inferno bonus armor (total cost: $126 :judo:). To hell with Gamestop! :azan:

Walter said:
On BioWare's forums, it was announced today that ME2 will be on 2 discs, with a disc swap required at "an appropriate point" in the game.

Oooh! That sounds nice. Obviously it's at such a point in the story that really determines something major or it's when you stop playing as Shepard and play as a new character that BioWare have managed to keep under wraps for all of this time (MGS2 syndrome). :carcus:

For it to fit onto two discs obviously means this should be one of the longest games this gen. Cannot freaking wait, I'm going to jump in front of the queue on release day (and knock down Walter and Aaz's tent, [which they have been waiting in from the previous night] in the process whilst I rush to the doors of my local game shop).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
We've been told before that the controversial elevator load screens would be gone in ME2. Here's some more specifics on how they're being replaced.

We have a completely new system to handle transitions between areas that speeds the load times and turns the loads themselves into part of the game experience. It's one of many points of feedback we've heard and directly responded to in enhancing the gameplay in Mass Effect 2.
We've tried to make the loading screen more interesting this time by adding interesting visuals and information.

The elevator conversations had some funny moments, but hopefully people will enjoy this new system better than the old one!
Source: Kotaku article (beware, the link contains some minor spoilers in the form of links to previews for other articles...

The first thought that comes to mind for me is allowing the user to read the Codex during loads. That'd be great.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting. I didn't mind the elevator scenes personally (thanks to the banter between party members), but I also won't be missing them if they've got something better in stock. The problem with codex entries though would be the briefness of the loading times. They were too extensive in ME1 to be properly read in 5-10 seconds.

Maybe we'll be obligated to read the codex entries, with little exams to prove you're familiar with the subject before you can advance through the game.

But seriously, I didn't mind the elevators, the dialogues were very cool and the radio news that told stuff that had to do with your actions on sidequests surprised me a lot. Well, if they decided to change it, I'm sure it's for something better.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The elevator rides were never a BIG thing with me, but it was a noticeable gap in the flow of the game. The dialogue helped. But when I'd have to wait ~5 minutes just to go back and forth from the Normandy to buy new weapons at the C-Sec hub at the Citadel ... it was a little annoying.

Yeah that C-Sec one was particularly long for some reason. But what really felt out of place was finding elevators in Ilos. It just didn't seem like it was supposed to be there, especially because the whole place felt so abandoned. I wouldn't mind if they just switched some of the elevators for simple loading screens, maybe it would have been better.

I hope they at least keep the elevator rides on the Citadel, making them shorter or more interactive if they need to upgrade. Those rides made the whole place feel even larger.

Maybe the new loading screens will be staircases! :ganishka:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Well, what's really baffling to me is that they use elevators instead of loading screens for some portions of the game, but in others, like quick-traveling around the Citadel, they use a loading screen... :???:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Well, what's really baffling to me is that they use elevators instead of loading screens for some portions of the game, but in others, like quick-traveling around the Citadel, they use a loading screen... :???:

But you can see small cars traveling in the distance! :slan:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Just beat Pinnacle Station finally. I'd put it off too long...

ME-pinnaclestation.jpg

I think my Renegade/Soldier character will retire here. My Paragon/Vanguard guy will move on to the ME2 universe :badbone:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
I think my Renegade/Soldier character will retire here. My Paragon/Vanguard guy will move on to the ME2 universe :badbone:

Hahaha, isn't it awesome? It's where my Shepard spent the 2 years between ME1 and ME2 as far as I'm concerned. :guts:

Wow that's a beautiful horizon! Hope I get to play that one day, but it's too expensive here.

Man, what's taking BioWare so long to release the contents of the Steam edition of ME2?

To whoever finished Dragon Age, look what I found on the Deep Roads (sorry if it was already mentioned): http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/6375/masseffect.jpg

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Voice actors announced for ME2. Their roles give some minor spoilers, so I've not included the ones I felt were spoilers. If you're REALLY interested, you can check the Kotaku article here, http://kotaku.com/5423288/mass-effect-2-is-full-of-stars

MARTIN SHEEN :isidro:
Tricia Helfer (Six) and Michael Hogan (Saul) from Battlestar Galactica.
Yvonne Strahovski (of NBC's Chuck).
Adam Baldwin (Firefly's Jayne Cobb).
Michael Dorn (Worf) from Star Trek: The Next Generation.
Carrie-Anne Moss (Trinity) from The Matrix.
Shohreh Aghdashloo from House of Saddam
Seth Green returns as Normandy pilot Joker
Keith David, returns as Admiral David Anderson.
I can't remember the last time a game got together so many big sci-fi actors. It's like a nerd's paradise.

BioWare's CEO on the announcement:
[quote author=Ray Muzyka]
"Emotionally engaging narrative is a key design pillar for BioWare, and the top-notch voice talent in Mass Effect 2 helps drive this goal. Credible, powerful personalities are vital to delivering a compelling story experience in BioWare's games, and we have assembled an amazing ensemble cast that surpasses the very high bar set in the original Mass Effect!"[/quote]

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Walter said:
Voice actors announced for ME2. Their roles give some minor spoilers, so I've not included the ones I felt were spoilers:
I can't remember the last time a game got together so many big sci-fi actors. It's like a nerd's paradise.

:isidro: Great, My expectations are through the roof! :guts: A game that you can't miss!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Voice actors announced for ME2. Their roles give some minor spoilers, so I've not included the ones I felt were spoilers. If you're REALLY interested, you can check the Kotaku article here, http://kotaku.com/5423288/mass-effect-2-is-full-of-stars

Awesome news. This game really has everything going for it. Game of the year 2010.

For anyone worried, a BioWare dude said the PC version will apparently run smoothier than ME1 did.

But he also said this:

Well we planned to put in high / low / medium texture options on the PC but ran out of time for implementation, and disk space was a bit of a concern as well.

But the basic gist of the system is that depending on how much memory you have you get higher / lower resolution textures.

Which sucks, since I really like to have absolute control on the settings. I hope we can at least config it through the engine.ini like in ME1.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Eluvei said:
Which sucks, since I really like to have absolute control on the settings. I hope we can at least config it through the engine.ini like in ME1.
I'm 99% sure you'll be able to edit it in a config file, if nothing else.

Anyway, that's good news about the performance. I was checking up on that last night, to ensure I had a decent rig compared to the "recommended" system requirements. I think I'll make a post in the Computer Hardware thread to ask some geeky questions about my video card. Just to be sure :farnese:

The guy answers almost everyone, I'd ask him if I had any doubt. In a post, he mentioned that the game forces the GPU far more than the CPU (which was my main concern since my CPU is very outdated when compared to anything else on my computer). But almost everyone that asked him could run the game from medium to max settings easily (of course there were some guys that asked if their onboard video card could run the game). Actually, he even tells us the config of the PC he uses to playtest the game, and it's a pretty regular one, with the GPU falling under the minimum settings if I remember correctly, and he said it runs smoothly!

Man, I'm glad BioWare learned their lesson after Mass Effect's PC release. I had a pretty hard time configuring it so it would stop crashing or being extremely ugly. They kinda released the game and ran away, leaving us with bugs and Garrus' low textures. :judo:

Not that I'm complaining! I love you BioWare!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Eluvei said:
Man, I'm glad BioWare learned their lesson after Mass Effect's PC release. I had a pretty hard time configuring it so it would stop crashing or being extremely ugly. They kinda released the game and ran away, leaving us with bugs and Garrus' low textures. :judo:

First off, the PC port wasn't done by Bioware but by Demiurge Studios. Second, keep in mind the game had never been planned for PC. It was a Xbox 360 exclusive that was hastily ported 8 months later. Which is not ME2's case.

Aazealh said:
First off, the PC port wasn't done by Bioware but by Demiurge Studios. Second, keep in mind the game had never been planned for PC. It was a Xbox 360 exclusive that was hastily ported 8 months later. Which is not ME2's case.

Whatever the case, the companies that had anything to do with the PC version should have paid more attention to the quality of the port, and spent more time and money on whatever needed to be fixed. If I remember right, the guy from Demiurge actually said they couldn't fix Garrus' texture issue because it was out of their budget when they released an update. Plus, the many compatibility issues with some motherboards really screwed the fun for a lot of people. There were too many things that could have been fixed if given enough time.

But like I said above, I didn't complain when I had these issues and I certainly won't now that the PC version isn't just a rushed port. I really am grateful for both of the games being released on the PC. Well, maybe I am ranting a little, but it's out of love. :griffnotevil:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
*shrugs*

The PC port runs fine and looks fine on my machine. I just had to toy with some video settings out of the box, so to speak, just like any other PC game. The only real complaint I have is that dynamic lighting often doesn't wrap to textures well, but that can be tweaked in the config file so that it works properly (you essentially turn down the density of the shadow, and it works).

That certainly isn't making me hesitate at all to purchase ME2 on the PC. In fact, without question I'd get the PC version even if I owned a 360.

Top Bottom