Movies to look forward to

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Smith said:
Watched avatar on Sat.. seriously this movie rock my ass off!

Haha, its one of those very good movies I have not come across for a long long time... Since like when? Return of the King back in 2003?

:request for facepalm smilley:

Walter said:
Yeah, you're right. 55 was very generous :ganishka:
Well, I'm sorry, I didn't know you were one of their critics. These guys sure know their business, 73 for The Hangover, 82 for the Dark Knight, guess I should blindly follow their lead.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Konketsuji said:
These guys sure know their business, 73 for The Hangover, 82 for the Dark Knight, guess I should blindly follow their lead.
It's not just one group. It's a cumulative average based on the scores of several reviews. If you'd prefer, you could also check Rotten Tomatoes, which scored Snatch a 72, which is more favorable.

Anyway, the score is just like a sum. It doesn't mean much unless you can see how they did the math. And if you read most reviews you can see where a movie succeeded and failed, whether it got a low score or not.

Personally, I'm just not a Guy Ritchie fan. Though I understand why some people are.

Walter said:
It's not just one group. It's a cumulative average based on the scores of several reviews. If you'd prefer, you could also check Rotten Tomatoes, which scored Snatch a 72, which is more favorable.

Anyway, the score is just like a sum. It doesn't mean much unless you can see how they did the math. And if you read most reviews you can see where a movie succeeded and failed, whether it got a low score or not.

Personally, I'm just not a Guy Ritchie fan. Though I understand why some people are.
I prefer IMDB.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
I have a problem with a rating systems [IMDB] that has more then 5 numbers to choose from. Which leads me to wonder how many people just picked 10 instead of actually making a well thought out decision.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
I thought this movie was pretty funny, would you care to explain how it insulted your intelligence.

It was stupid. The doctors office scene with naked old man? The scene where he kicks the kid or something like that. Totally unrealistic gags that still were not outrageous enough to be shocking. I've seen it all before (nothing new) and none of the guys were even good actors or at all interesting. The tiger and baby in the room at the beginning didn't make me wonder. I was more like "great now they have to carry a baby through this whole movie". Seriously I think I could make a funnier movie with half that movies budget. Shit Bob I could make a funnier movie with you as the lead and it would be better than this crap. It was so stupid, so tasteless. This is what people find funny these days? It's just the world we live in where Transformers is the biggest action movie and something like The Hangover is the big "comedy". I think the two go hand in hand.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Oburi said:
I saw the Hangover the other night. It actually insulted my intelligence.
If you think that watching Hangover would compliment your intelligence to begin with, you have issues my friend. :idea:
On a good note: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE5250IB20090306

I'm sure some of you already knew this. But this is definitely a big plus for moi.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Not that I put too much stock in critics, let alone aggregated critic ratings, but they are a useful tool which measure a recognized and verifiable critical profession, or institution if you will. In a nutshell, whether you agree with them or not, it's a simple way to see what critics thought of something; did most like it, did only some like it, or did only a few of them like it. On the other hand, as Bob alluded to, sources like IMDb user ratings are anonymous internet polls with no objective critical standard and therefore unreliable and arbitrary results that won't even necessarily reflect which movies are the most popular, let alone which are considered good or even relatively the best. All one can say it shows is which popular movies also have fan bases active, and willing to up or down vote, on IMDb, which means it doesn't really tell you anything and is more or less completely useless you want to boost your favorite popular movie's arbitrarily assigned rating.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Agreed. I just saw it as a fun movie to watch and to just enjoy.
Absolutely. While I agree with Oburi on the doctor scene, I felt like the Hangover was otherwise a cleverly-made movie. There was a great sense of mystery that you don't normally get with comedies. They never did explain that chicken... :???:

Griffith

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Finished watching Avatar. While the movie was good, the political statement took away from the movie along with the last hour of the film.

I didn't mind that so much since it was mostly confined to Quaritch's speech and the adjoining scenes, while the rest blended with the general technology vs. nature theme. I agree with you about the last hour, the spectacle of the action aside, it might have been a better movie had it just ended with the second act. It was like a whole new movie started at that point, and it had already been two hours, and even still, certain things didn't match the deliberate pace of the beginning and middle. One scene in particular feels like it was cut out for time, though it's hard for me to believe Cameron cut anything, it certainly didn't feel hurried or anything, and I certainly enjoyed the ride. =)

BTW, that reminds me... let's see if I can start a shitstorm here: Avatar vs. District 9. Discuss!

I watched D9 again tonight with my father, who I also saw Avatar with, and I was surprised he gave Avatar the nod, as District 9 has inherent qualities more to his liking (grittier, gorier, more alien-looking aliens, less idealism, more realism and dark humor, etc) and he was already making noises indicating that direction before we watched. I think I understand where he's coming from though, because I wasn't nearly as impressed this time around, and I wonder if that has to do with watching it after Avatar, which also made me scrutinize D9's own story shortcomings a bit more, fair's fair after all. There's actually a surprising number of parallels for all the ways they're different.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
グリフィス said:
I didn't mind that so much since it was mostly confined to Quaritch's speech and the adjoining scenes, while the rest blended with the general technology vs. nature theme.

Not mostly confined. Over all the movie seemed to be a message about the evils of capitalism and how we all need to reconnect with nature. Even then the military personnel weren't clearly mentioned as being mercenaries and were portrayed as evil Americans with Vietnam era thought process, that answered to the Buisness man who answered to his stock brokers [evils of capitalism]. Only later did it occur that it was more of a commentary on Private Military Contractors, but I wouldn't have noticed it until I thought about how Quaritch didn't have someone outranking him. Personally, I felt that barely mentioning they were actually mercenaries served as a minor annoyance for me for the rest of the film.

EDIT: Just wanting to mention I didn't have any feelings for this movie as I was walking in, mostly because I didn't know I was going to watch Avatar and thought my siblings agreed on Sherlock Holmes only because it was the much shorter movie.

Short on time, so I'll just lay down some quick thoughts:

Avatard: Very entertaining. A spectacle, pure and simple. Something that, I feel, MUST be seen on the biggest screen you can find and in fully functioning 3D (none of that 2D bullshit, I don't see this movie existing without the 3rd dimension), for this will not work on a television (or iPhone) ;)

Nine: Excruciating!!

Griffith

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Not mostly confined. Over all the movie seemed to be a message about the evils of capitalism and how we all need to reconnect with nature. Even then the military personnel weren't clearly mentioned as being mercenaries and were portrayed as evil Americans with Vietnam era thought process, that answered to the Buisness man who answered to his stock brokers [evils of capitalism]. Only later did it occur that it was more of a commentary on Private Military Contractors, but I wouldn't have noticed it until I thought about how Quaritch didn't have someone outranking him.

Yeah, or like why Michelle Rodriguez didn't get into deep shit for what she didn't sign up for. Anyway, yeah, those themes are there, but it was hardly pervasive or even in depth throughout the film, basically just coming down to a simple "killing people for money bad, nature and freedom good" theme.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Personally, I felt that barely mentioning they were actually mercenaries served as a minor annoyance for me for the rest of the film.

It is mentioned as soon as Jake gets off the transport though, and if Cameron really went further out of his way to apologize for it and keep saying it was private army and then it's almost like pandering the other way and undermining his own theme, whether one agrees with it or not.

The Perineum Falcon said:
Avatard: Very entertaining. A spectacle, pure and simple. Something that, I feel, MUST be seen on the biggest screen you can find and in fully functioning 3D (none of that 2D bullshit, I don't see this movie existing without the 3rd dimension), for this will not work on a television (or iPhone) ;)

Agreed, I don't know why we're even discussing the plot, or anyone is really. It's like going in depth on Disney or Pixar movie plots when most of the storytelling is in the animation. It worked for what it was, and like you, I was entertained while watching it, it's just not something to meditate deeply on afterward (unlike Toy Story or The Lion King =).

The Perineum Falcon said:
Nine: Excruciating!!

I can see how you would feel that way, and how some would love it for the same reasons you probably find it excruciating. It was a lot more ordinary last night.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
グリフィス said:
It is mentioned as soon as Jake gets off the transport though, and if Cameron really went further out of his way to apologize for it and keep saying it was private army and then it's almost like pandering the other way and undermining his own theme, whether one agrees with it or not.

You mean the part he muttered at the very beginning? I heard that too, but it was something "back on earth they are fighting for our freedoms, but over here they are doing it for the money". I'm not asking for an apology, but he could have made a better effort than he did.

Agreed, I don't know why we're even discussing the plot, or anyone is really. It's like going in depth on Disney or Pixar movie plots when most of the storytelling is in the animation. It worked for what it was, and like you, I was entertained while watching it, it's just not something to meditate deeply on afterward (unlike Toy Story or The Lion King =).
The sad thing is, most of the crap these days don't have plots worth talking about in the first place. Thankfully we can just sit back and watch pretty colors on the screen to make up for the lose of good story!

Top Bottom