Movies to look forward to

Oburi

All praise Grail
aufond said:
Similar to how I felt with Death Proof. The last 20 minutes of that film are a riot, but some of that dialogue with those chicks is almost too painful to endure. Even so his films are aeons beyond 99.9% of the hollywood bullshit that comes out these days, I just don't think it's quite as great as everyone else seems to right now.

Yea I agree. His films are better than most of the shit that comes out, but that dons't mean he can't make a shit movie once in a while. Death Proof was just that, I agree.

Well, I did see the midnight release so I was kinda on the drowsy side throughout, and the Tarantino fans were being very annoying over every single stupid line, so that kinda took away from the whole experience.

You know that could very well be it. I went to an earlier showing for that reason, for movies that I'm looking foward too as much as this one I want to be alert and awake. I even take my least anoyying freind with me so they aren't distracting me. The movie theater experience can really effect your enjoyment of the film. I've learned that the hard way :judo:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
aufond said:
The plot was definitely not so simple, I'd even dare to say it's his most complex film to date.
Really? Moreso than Jackie Brown? I didn't think Basterds was complex at all. I thought it was very, very easy to follow, with character motivations being worn on their sleeve throughout.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Edit: In my personal opinion, What's his name, just fell for his own hype. Hopfully his movies start to actually get good [still haven't seen Inglorious Bastards] or he starts using writers.
Your hate for Tarantino is baffling. I can understand your dispassion for something like Kill Bill, but Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs and Jackie Brown are legitimate classic films of the 90s.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Walter said:
Your hate for Tarantino is baffling. I can understand your dispassion for something like Kill Bill, but Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs and Jackie Brown are legitimate classic films of the 90s.

I didn't explain it very well, his movies just started to drag. He deserves the hype for Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs [still haven't seen Jackie Brown], they are just great and show his writing and directing at it's best, but I'm saying he bought into his own hype too much [ie; Kill Bill & Death Proof]. Keep in mind I enjoyed Death Proof, only after the second act.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
I'm saying he bought into his own hype too much [ie; Kill Bill & Death Proof]. Keep in mind I enjoyed Death Proof, only after the second act.
I don't think so. His earlier movies are just as full of his own cock-suredness. Pulp Fiction is laden with scenes that shouldn't work on camera, or even in a screenplay, but end up working anyway because of Tarantino's directing and the performances he gets from the actors.

I think Kill Bill fell short of expectations because he thought people would enjoy his campy in-jokes and homages to kung-fu cinema. I should hope that by now, he's realized that only has limited appeal.

Like I said in my review (or if I didn't, I really should have), there are several moments in Basterds where I was beginning to feel bored of the "talkiness," in certain scenes, but then it builds to a climax, the veil is drawn on the scene's intent, and I felt like an idiot for doubting the function of the verbose dialogue.

I thought bastard was good and well thought out. I just wish there was more bastards I dislike to many plotlines that bounce around and the cool plotline takes a back seat. And I think I'm gonna have to agree when they were playing cards was one of the most enjoyable parts of the movie.

District 9 was fantastic IMOP. I really felt bad for that guy and I felt we were the bad guys. First movie to make me feel that the aliens need to come and destroy earth.

District 9 was cool, a bit over hyped though. The action was great. And the news cast approach in the beginning was a different take and surprisingly enjoyable (compared to the crap that was Cloverfield). My only complaint; that the first 3/4 of the movie dragged and all the action happened at the end. Good movie, not great.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
dwarfkicker said:
District 9 was cool, a bit over hyped though.
I felt the movie was under-hyped, actually. But then again I don't frequent these so called "other" Internet forums. :carcus:

I had very low expectations going in and virtually knew nothing about it other than Griff told me I should see it.

Ko Ninja

¯\(O_o)/¯ クー
Walter said:
I saw District 9 over the weekend, and I think it was my favorite movie of the summer.

I took three different groups of people to see it. Each group being a separate time. I didn't mind seeing it each time, so I guess I must have enjoyed it as well. :carcus:
Everyone I talk to seems to dislike it. I think it is also my favorite movie of the summer. Though, is there really much else to compare it to? I'm being serious, I can't remember.

IchIgO

6/22/09
i have yet to see district 9, but i just recently saw Inglorious Basterds. I was expecting a lot more action judging from the previews, but it was alot of dialogue, much of it humorous. loved brad pitt's character even though im not a fan. great story too. but i was dissapointed because there was only a good half hour of violence.

Oburi said:
Lol why the Abyss?? But to answer the question best I can I would say no. The Abyss was one of my favorite childhood movies that is just so well thought out, so epic, and so ahead of it's time (when it was released). I mean I would rather watch District 9 because its more fun, more to the point and more entertaining, but the Abyss is a "better" movie in the traditional sense.

Thank you, I love the Abyss too. I was just trying to range just how good this movie was among alien movies. Except I assume Distract 9 is more involved with the aliens than the abyss was. Every time I watch the revival scene in the abyss I wonder "Why doesn't that chick have brain damage? She was flatlined for a good while." I also liked the decent into the darkness at the very end.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I know I'm a little late on this but I just watched Religulous, the Bill Maher documentary on religion. Man this was good stuff, excellent documentary and funny as hell. As long as your not easily offended or super religious deff check this out.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Just an after thought on District 9. Did anyone else watching it feel like it was a live action anime? Just the films content felt very Japanese to me,
like how the guy was slowly turning into and alien and had an alien arm that allowed him to use the alien weapons. Then at the end when he's in the giant robot he's all bloody and beat up and one of his eyes is all alien looking. Then when the mecha is finally destroyed there is like streams of oil (i guess) squirting out lol. Just felt like like I was watching an movie adaptation of an anime or manga and I feel like an Akira movie would be similar to the types of things they had in District 9.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Well, keep in mind what you're describing are sci-fi concepts at their core. It just so happens that some anime drew from sci-fi as well.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Walter said:
Well, keep in mind what you're describing are sci-fi concepts at their core. It just so happens that some anime drew from sci-fi as well.

Yea thats true, I guess it wasn't Japanese at all, its just that you don't see those types of sci-fi things in movies that much these days. So when I was watching it all I could relate it too were all the sci-fi anime an manga I've seen.

Okay so I saw District 9 while on vacation this past week because mostly everyone here approved of it. I thought it was good but not great. The movie was certainly original and I like the theme that was going on. CGI was killer for a movie with that budget.

The documentary style I didn't like. It wasn't a documentary style the whole way through especially at the end which one would think is what I would prefer. But the movie jumped from documentary style to another. This mish-mash of telling the story was odd for me and I would've wanted a story that was told in one way only. The beginning almost had a documentary comedy style to it for awhile and when things became more serious as it progressed I didn't know how to react. It's like going from the Office to Law & Order SVU. The transition didn't blend well. Some of my friends liked that though.

It certainly made me want to sit there and not budge even to go to the bathroom. I'm not bad-mouthing it I'm agreeing people should watch it. It's good. Just don't go into it expecting an epic movie of the summer.

I found the mix of the two styles to be fairly interesting, and while not perfectly seamless, rendered little distraction. It was an interesting way to introduce the characters and their relationships to one another, as well as the alien situation, allowing us to see them with a fairly objective lens before switching to the subjective through our connection with the feeble Wikus (who I thought bore a striking resemblance to Ingmar Bergman) and his journey thru the slums.

The film wasn't perfect, but it was good enough so that I didn't feel cheated (like 500 days....) and kept me entertained and engaged throughout.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
ori said:
I'm not bad-mouthing it I'm agreeing people should watch it. It's good. Just don't go into it expecting an epic movie of the summer.
I'm personally kind of glad it wasn't the EPIC MOVIE OF THE SUMMER. By not striving for blockbuster status, it succeeded in keeping me interested without groaning, and without pandering to a more stupid audience.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Walter said:
I'm personally kind of glad it wasn't the EPIC MOVIE OF THE SUMMER. By not striving for blockbuster status, it succeeded in keeping me interested without groaning, and without pandering to a more stupid audience.

Me too, I'm glad.

The film wasn't perfect, but it was good enough so that I didn't feel cheated (like 500 days....) and kept me entertained and engaged throughout

Aw man that looked good too, why wasn't 500 days any good?

Oburi said:
why wasn't 500 days any good?

Despite the fact that I found the sister to be wholly unrealistic and annoying, and the main character to be a total DWV (and a bit thick), the one thing that the movie rested on, Summer, just didn't work and it ruined everything for me.
Here, cute, adorable Zooey is generically charming. Gone is that sparkle in the eye found in Weeds, All the Real Girls, Failure to Launch, The Good Girl or even Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy. And the film attempts to establish this undeniable "there's-just-something-about-mary!" charm economically, but it's just not sold to the audience (or, at least, to me and my friends).

And so all that followed just fell flat. Perhaps not all, for there were definite moments here that made me smile
(expectation vs. reality, and even the spontaneous dance number [though the blue bird was a bit much], even though I could just be biased toward Hall & Oates + that song)
, but it wasn't enough to redeem that hollow husk of romance displayed on screen.

Puppy love, we've all been there. And failed forever-promised-romances, we've been there, too and we've seen both developed so much more convincingly before than here. I wanted to like this movie, I wanted to love it, live it, but this was a Summer I could do without.

Kakkoii_Guts

海賊王になる男だ
I'm looking very forward to seeing District 9 in a couple of days. So far I've only heard good things about it. It really seems like a movie I'll dig.

The last current movie I watched was "Inglourious Basterds". Basterds had me on the edge of my seat the entire time it was on. You just don't know how much each of the characters knows about one another. It kept me gripped with suspense. I loved it. Of course playing David Bowie over one of the pivotal moments of the film had no sway on me whatsoever. :carcus:

I finally got around to watching Inglourious Basterds yesterday in the theatres. I must say that I was very pleased. I went in there with great expectations and left the theatres very happy. There wasn't much action in the movie but hey not all movies need to be jam packed full of action. I found it a bit gross when they were
scalping the Nazis
, but I thought before watching this that something like that would most likely happen. I thought Brad Pitt, and Christoph Waltz did a superb job playing their roles. I didn't really like Col. Hans Landa, I thought he was an asshole. He eventually grew on me because of the fact that he was pretty cunning, and so did his nickname
"The Jew Hunter"
. :ganishka: My favorite seen in the movie was when
they blew up the theatre and the two Basterds shot Hitler, and Goebbels. Then they were shooting the hell out of the Germans. I didn't like the fact that they killed off Shosanna. I have to admit I did get a little teary, I just felt bad for her because of what Col. Hans Landa did to her family. I thought her plan was brilliant and well executed as it did work very well.
I would definitely recommend this movie, so if you go to the theatres watch this instead of that fucking trainwreck Halloween 2.

Top Bottom