New Berserk Anime for 2016

Menosgade

Not all those who wander are lost
As the promo points out, it seems they'll adapt the Lost Children, I believe (and hope a lot) they won't stop in Conviction arc. Hoping as well they don't skip the black swordsman, it was a very interesting arc to read, but Guts on Berserk armor is something I really really really want to see animated.

They have the potential to make all these arcs, and if they do it right it's certain to make success, there's no point in wrecking up the story.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Menosgade said:
As the promo points out, it seems they'll adapt the Lost Children, I believe

Sorry, where are you picking that up from? The image they released a few days ago?

Menosgade

Not all those who wander are lost
Walter said:
Sorry, where are you picking that up from? The image they released a few days ago?

Yes, as it seems to be him resting in the windmill. I'm not saying what it is or isn't. As some, or most, people arround here I believe it is, even tho that wouldn't be the proper armor.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Menosgade said:
Yes, as it seems to be him resting in the windmill. I'm not saying what it is or isn't. As some, or most, people arround here I believe it is, even tho that wouldn't be the proper armor.

I understand, I was just confused by your wording since you sounded pretty sure of it. Didn't know if there was some new promo.

I really, really wish I could be more excited about this.

While I've watched the original trilogy so many damn times and have been very successful in using them to get almost anybody I know at least interested in the series they frustrate me so much. Obviously I don't need to get into why, but the fact that I have to pause the movie and explain things to my friends so they can understand the story better is just absurd.

I can have my hopes that they animate the first few books as with Lost Children and eventually onto the rest of the Conviction I can't help but feel as though they'll just keep cutting and cutting. It's insane to me since the series is written in a way that it could go straight into animation.

Tabris said:
I really, really wish I could be more excited about this.

While I've watched the original trilogy so many damn times and have been very successful in using them to get almost anybody I know at least interested in the series they frustrate me so much. Obviously I don't need to get into why, but the fact that I have to pause the movie and explain things to my friends so they can understand the story better is just absurd.

I can have my hopes that they animate the first few books as with Lost Children and eventually onto the rest of the Conviction I can't help but feel as though they'll just keep cutting and cutting. It's insane to me since the series is written in a way that it could go straight into animation.

I've introduced the 1997 anime series to four of my friends these last six months, and they all loved it. I did elaborate on some things throughout; especially the ending. :troll: I think it's better to show newcomers the old anime series rather than the movies. In spite of its shortcomings, it's far closer to the source material. Not to mention it *feels* far better aesthetically, with respect to the character design (the faces in the movies look way off), voices (at least, the Japanese original voices are better in the series, especially Griffith's voice) and music (While I was quite impressed with the first movie's soundtrack, the second OST was just okay and the third one fit so badly that it ruined several scenes. On the other hand, even in 2015, Susumu Hirasawa's utterly retro soundtrack sounds freshly engaging.).

I think there's actually an okay chance they might do the Lost Children part well, in regards to to the tone and pace. As long as they don't omit stuff!

But the rest of the Conviction arc? It's so dark and complex that even in a best case scenario of the studio actually trying to be faithful to the source material, I really can't imagine them doing it justice.

Oh man, this preview picture looks bad. It may be test footage, but it looks completely CGI. (and not even partially hand-draw)
(I don't have a trained eye for recognizing CGI, so please correct me if I am wrong.)
Having a completely CGI movie would make it look more consistent, but I doubt that the animation will flow nicely.
Hope the trailer will prove me otherwise.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The tweet mentions "Kuro," is that a production company? So apparently not Studio 4C...? If so, that's progress, but this is indeed not a very flattering shot...

24y7l88.jpg

Wait...these graphics look familiar. :troll:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like a single frame from a video. Or someone was just learning what Photoshop filters do... :schierke:

We'll probably see more soon.

False

May you find your worth in the waking world.
With any luck that's a preview of the opening and... Ah screw it, certainly hoping the final result'll be better. :sad:

Oh no... :( I don't want to judge the style based on something that looks half finished or just a test image, but it's certainly not flattering like others have said. I'm in the camp that thought the only time the three films looked gorgeous were the wide angle landscapes and when they weren't using the 3D technology. I realize in this day and age that traditional hand drawn animation costs are expensive compared to computer graphic design, but I hope they at least put more effort into it this time around, regardless of which studio has the rights.

If the preview image does indeed indicate a full CGI-production like Ajin: Demi-Human, could that then indicate Polygon Pictures is the production studio? They're the only Japanese 3DCG animation studio that almost exclusively does CGI works that I can think of off the top of my head.

Sammoniac

You taffers!
We shouldn't start making assumptions after seeing a single picture. Its clearly a test image and doesn't reveal anything. Sure, Guts will have a 3D model for the fancier scenes, that's pretty much a given. But I'd realy be surprised if it was all CG. In fact, the only stuff that I'm sure this movie will nail are the visuals. If it wants to sell, it has to look good, no matter how crappy the movie will be.

And yeah, this KURO seems to be an animation studio, according to a sketchy Google translation. Its kind of a reflief.... I guess? I tried to search a bit on the net for more info on KURO but didn't really find any. Maybe its a new studio? Or maybe not a studio at all. Let's wait and see!

I have a sinking feeling we're all about to prefer Studio 4C... If this is a promotional shot, I hate to see the parts that are rough around the edges.

Walter said:
Looks like a single frame from a video. Or someone was just learning what Photoshop filters do... :schierke:

We'll probably see more soon.

Indeed it looks like an unfinished amateur work or like a cutscene from an old game, low resolution and outdated graphics. Waiting to see more too.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Gummyskull said:
24y7l88.jpg

Wait...these graphics look familiar. :troll:

My first thought as well. Dreamcast-level graphics. A testament to the DC game's quality back in 1999, and to the ignominy of that's happening right now.

Sammoniac said:
We shouldn't start making assumptions after seeing a single picture. Its clearly a test image and doesn't reveal anything. Sure, Guts will have a 3D model for the fancier scenes, that's pretty much a given. But I'd realy be surprised if it was all CG. In fact, the only stuff that I'm sure this movie will nail are the visuals. If it wants to sell, it has to look good, no matter how crappy the movie will be.

Dude, this is literally the third picture of the project they've decided to officially show to the world. And it's a close-up shot of the main character's face. Now if THAT looks like shit, then I'm sorry to say but it's a pretty good indication that the visuals are not being nailed.

Jerkins

There isn't enough space for me to write what I wa
I think this goes without saying but I'd rather this adaptation not happen right now and just have the manga continue as monthly. Especially if it's gonna look like what we've seen.

Top Bottom