Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
From Gamespot:
Based on what we played, Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles is still promising, thanks to the RE franchise's rich lore. The visuals are looking good and the audio sets a good atmosphere. Our only gripe is that the game's targeting and overall responsiveness still seem a bit off. Hopefully this is tweakable in the game's settings. Fans of the RE series, or Wii Zapper owners looking for titles to use their peripherals with, will want to keep an eye out for the game when it ships.

Read their article earlier today (here's the link, since you didn't include it), and well, if their only gripe is the cursor speed, I'm not too worried. I think IGN had written a lengthy hands-on preview a month or so ago in which they were also very positive. All in all I'd say it's looking good. =)

Yea. Plus you can't always go on what they say. Like Heavenly Sword being an enjoyable game...
Aiming of course will be tantamount to UC and the latest report is that there's some room for improvement. Just worries me slightly is all I'm saying.
And yes it does look very good so far.

I just re-read the end of the quote I posted from Gamespot. Not to get off topic, but is anyone hear ultra concerned with a game's audio? I mean I'm not at all. As long as everything sounds good, I'm ok. But do some people really get into a game's audio?? Sorry, just some randomness from yours truly.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
Aiming of course will be tantamount to UC and the latest report is that there's some room for improvement. Just worries me slightly is all I'm saying.

Yeah, that's understandable. However seeing how the game has progressed in quality over a short time span, I'm not too worried about cursor reactivity, that can be tweaked easily. The cursor had bigger problems in earlier builds and they fixed them nicely already. Let's hope for the best!

Proj2501 said:
I just re-read the end of the quote I posted from Gamespot. Not to get off topic, but is anyone hear ultra concerned with a game's audio? I mean I'm not at all. As long as everything sounds good, I'm ok. But do some people really get into a game's audio?? Sorry, just some randomness from yours truly.

Well, I always appreciate a good soundtrack/voice acting/sound effects, but no it isn't my main concern. It can be very important though, I mean a lot of what made the original Resident Evil a fantastic experience to me was its music for example. So while it's not the first thing I look into when I'm interested in a game, it does matter to me. Good or bad audio can make the difference between a decent and an excellent game.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
One thing I'm looking forward to is playing Wesker. Not just the bad ass aspect of it, but getting to see his escape of the mansion and following story line.
Yes me too. They did separate ways nicely after all.
Proj2501 said:
From Gamespot:
Our only gripe is that the game's targeting and overall responsiveness still seem a bit off. Hopefully this is tweakable in the game's settings.
Hopefully it's not a big deal. I instantly though about the "the controler is off the screen" stuff being a part of those gripes.

Obv. a quality OST is key. I listen to the MGS3 OST at least 3-4 times a week. Love it. And yes voice acting is integral.

By audio..I meant whether or not a game is in surround sound. Sorry I should've specified. Do people get all up and up about that?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
By audio..I meant whether or not a game is in surround sound. Sorry I should've specified. Do people get all up and up about that?

Oh. I couldn't care less. I actually do have a surround system but there's no space in the room and all, so stereo's the way to go. I mostly use headphones nowadays anyway, whether on the computer or on TV. That way it doesn't bother my wife when she's working, and it's often more immersive. And to be honest, I can't think of many games that make good use of "complex" audio settings (complex as in 5.1).

Well, sad to say I've yet to hear any news of a Resident Evil 2 scenario. The only reason it particularly struck me as "odd" is it, well, being odd man out from 0-3. One person noted "Well this is the S.T.A.R.S experience of ending Umbrella, Leon and Claire have nothing to do with S.T.A.R.S"
Well that was an ok floater until (from my memory) Billy and Carlos were not STARS, and HUNK is definitely not, so as to why to not include an RE2 scenario strikes me. Like some people, I'm gathering they might be hiding it as some form of extra/epilogue chapter. I sure hope so.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Phoenix Wrong! said:
Well, sad to say I've yet to hear any news of a Resident Evil 2 scenario. [...] Like some people, I'm gathering they might be hiding it as some form of extra/epilogue chapter. I sure hope so.

Yeah, I hope they're keeping it hidden as well and aren't just planning to skip it altogether. I think they've kept the details of what games will be involved vague on purpose, I mean I even remember people talking about CV being included at first, and then nothing about it anymore. There's at least one more level left to be revealed as far as I know (each corresponding to a game or an original section of the story), so we'll see. One possible reason it hasn't been clearly featured in the trailers so far could be because Capcom needed to create new models for the characters/enemies (not to mention the environments) and couldn't just use those from Remake or RE Zero. We've only seen Nemesis in the latest trailer, so maybe the next one will show Leon blasting Lickers. =)

Phoenix Wrong! said:
Well, sad to say I've yet to hear any news of a Resident Evil 2 scenario. I'm gathering they might be hiding it as some form of extra/epilogue chapter. I sure hope so.
Yes i hope so too but =/
Lets just go with "they couldn't include Wesker as a playable character in re2, so they didn't include it" Maybe they wont include it because then people would be asking about Code Veronica too? -or they didn't want to get Tofu involved or have to make zombie Carlos. Either way its a dissapointment if they don't, but thats just me saying this because RE2 is my all time fav.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
pippin22 said:
What a faggot article...

Yeah, I hope the next outbreak of Las Plagas is in San Francisco so I can blast these fags next (think it's transmitted like AIDS lol?)! And there's some other creeds and ethnic groups I wouldn't mind seeing dehumanized so I can kill them guilt free too! These dumbasses are so stupid, getting all butt hurt over these perceived race issues in a game they don't even understand. Don't they know that they're NOT HUMAN!? And really, what a thing to get outraged over, it's not like something really worth getting defensive about, like, you know, your favorite video game franchise.

Death to the Untermenschen (zombies)!

An African Zombie outbreak starring: 100% Caucasian zombies!!!! Then the fools writing these weak articles would all switch gears from RACISM to AUTHENTICITY. Really, you didn't hear me back in the day gettin all pissy about Spanish zombies. THAT'S WHERE THE FUCKIN VIRUS WAS THAT TIME AROUND! IF IT OCCURS NEXT IN AUSTRALIA, WE'LL SEE ABORIGINEE(sp?) ZOMBIES!

Like Ed Norton said in The 25th Hour:
22628761827d.jpg

MOVE THE FUCK ON!

Griffith

Proj2501 said:
An African Zombie outbreak starring: 100% Caucasian zombies!!!! Then the fools writing these weak articles would all switch gears from RACISM to AUTHENTICITY.

While I don't agree with the article, it is an article's worth of argumentation on the subject, and so far the rebuttals on this subject in general are less than impressive (and as I tried to point out, ironic). I find the reaction to be the most odd and distasteful thing about this, almost giving the accusation credibility of some kind. In this case, you use an extreme, and obviously unlikely, example to make a labored point, followed by specious reasoning to basically belittle and dismiss those to whom this is obviously a real issue.

Proj2501 said:
Really, you didn't hear me back in the day gettin all pissy about Spanish zombies. THAT'S WHERE THE FUCKIN VIRUS WAS THAT TIME AROUND! IF IT OCCURS NEXT IN AUSTRALIA, WE'LL SEE ABORIGINEE(sp?) ZOMBIES!

That's all well in good except that there is no virus, it didn't occur anywhere, and it's not really a coincidence or case of happenstance; it's a plot device in a fictional story, which means it's subject to the same literary interpretation, including subtext and metaphor, as any such work. This genre even has a history of social commentary and underlying themes from it's beginnings to today; I'm sure many of the zombie geeks crying foul over this are the same who exult the virtues of Dawn of the Dead for its supposed social satire and deeper anti-consumer message.

It's actually somewhat of a compliment, and step forward, that the subject matter of a video game is being taken seriously in this way. Of course, it would be nice if the great works of gaming received the same acknowledgment.

Proj2501 said:
Like Ed Norton said in The 25th Hour:
22628761827d.jpg

MOVE THE FUCK ON!

While I know what you mean and I'm certainly guilty of similar methods, what's the substance of this, really? I suppose a worthy and equal counter-point to this kind of display would be to quote American History X? Or, better yet, another Spike Lee film, Bamboozled.

Again, while I also don't agree with the accusation, I am interested in the intellectual issues in play in this debate, and I find the violent backlash and dismissal of it, and seeming need to do it, almost as troubling. Like, if someone were trying to get away with something like this, the gamer mentality would be perfectly amenable and complicit to it; like gamers are so used to defending their games from unfair attack at this point, no questions asked, that they really could oblige anything as long as it was presented to them under the right arbitrary construct, and in the infallible cloak of the video game.

Sadly, it's like this is the paramount social issue of our generation; video games' rights!
Race issues? Definitely a secondary, if valid, concern. =)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith No More! said:
those to whom this is obviously a real issue.

Just a quick note, but I'm actually curious to know who those people are. I have a feeling not many of them are actually Africans, or at least I have yet to hear about it. Past the various incorrect things said in the article, it seems to me that we can see in it an example of some American people thinking the whole world revolves around them and their history/culture. I know I'd understand and accept reprobation (even without necessarily agreeing) a lot more easily if it came from the actual concerned people and not from the blogosphere.

Griffith

I certainly agree with that, especially since I’m less interested in the complainers than the ideas themselves, though the size of former will determine the size of the latter. Just to clarify, I’m not playing apologist, arguing on anybody’s behalf, or suffering from white guilt here. =)

Though I do remember reading some articles/blogs by African Americans on the subject, and it's fair that Capcom be held to the standards of American culture if the game is to be released into that culture.

CnC

Ad Oculos
RE5's been confirmed to be in Haiti, btw. So we can feel indignation at the thought of killing zombies in their country in a video game while doing nothing to help real Haitians deal with the ridiculous levels of poverty that afflicts them. Win win.

CnC said:
RE5's been confirmed to be in Haiti, btw.
About 95% of Haitians are of predominantly West African black descent. The rest are white or of Mulatto descent, with a moderate number of Arab heritage (primarily Syrian and Lebanese). So really if Chris is bashing a bunch of black zombies that is accurate placing of setting. If he happens to walk in on a group of them in red robes chanting outside in the dark, that would also be attune to a part of the culture there, but there is always a reason for people to complain.

Griffith

TriFrog said:
About 95% of Haitians are of predominantly West African black descent. The rest are white or of Mulatto descent, with a moderate number of Arab heritage (primarily Syrian and Lebanese). So really if Chris is bashing a bunch of black zombies that is accurate placing of setting. If he happens to walk in on a group of them in red robes chanting outside in the dark, that would also be attune to a part of the culture there, but there is always a reason for people to complain.

Yes, while all that may be well and good, one reason to still complain is that the issue isn't the accuracy at all, as in depicting black Africans in Africa (obviously), but the possible targeting of ethnic groups; in this case, through geography. In that case, the accuracy you speak of is more condemning than redeeming. I know, I know, BUT THAT'S JUST WHERE THE VIRUS OUTBREAK HAPPENED TO HAPPEN!

Video games should seriously take into account the content they are putting into their games. But I feel we are splitting hairs by bringing up racism in video games. GTA anyone? The game was uber violent. They made a big stink about it back in the day and low and behold when interest in the GTA-Epidemic and it's potential devastating effect on the poor children dwindled so did the whining about it. So now it RE's turn to recieve some negative press.

By no means am I defending video games. They def. have a responsibility NOT to promote such things as racism. But hey, in then end...Chris is still blowing the heads off PEOPLE. Black, white, spanish...still people. We seem to lose sight of that...at least those who are complaining about the 'race issue'. To shut the critics up, throw in some Caucasian zombies...and maybe some Japanese tourists who fell victim to the 'virus' or whatever it is this time around. But for God's sake, let's drop the idiotic idea that Capcom is promoting racism. (Not you guys here at SK...you guys rule...I'm talking about the chuckle heads who write about this stuff to bloat the sales of their magazines and hits on their websites.)

P.S. I've had an entire bottle of wine...so, yea. :carcus: G'night all.

Oh yea...Aaz. I played Wii for the first time in, IDK almost 10 months the other night. My friend's G/F brought over Trauma Center...wow, THAT game alone made me want a Wii. So, I'm sure; like you've been telling me, RE4 must be fracken sick and UC will most likely kick ass. I CAN'T WAIT TO SHOOT THINGS!!!! HEIL BIOHAZARD!!!! :schierke:

Night.
Aazealh said:
Just a quick note, but I'm actually curious to know who those people are. I have a feeling not many of them are actually Africans, or at least I have yet to hear about it. Past the various incorrect things said in the article, it seems to me that we can see in it an example of some American people thinking the whole world revolves around them and their history/culture. I know I'd understand and accept reprobation (even without necessarily agreeing) a lot more easily if it came from the actual concerned people and not from the blogosphere.
I'm pretty sure on the list of concerns Africans are facing...Resident Evil 5 is pretty low on the list. Just MHO.

kanyewest.gif

"Chris Redfield hates Black People."​

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I think you guys are overlooking the most important thing. These zombies are going to be speaking French (or Creole but whatever, I'll still get it)! W00t! My dream comes true! :ganishka:

Proj2501 said:
Black, white, spanish...still people. We seem to lose sight of that...at least those who are complaining about the 'race issue'. To shut the critics up, throw in some Caucasian zombies...

Spanish people are pretty much white though, just saying... And they're not a "race" either, even going by the weird US race standards. =) I also agree that adding in a bunch of pasty white zombies around (scientists or whatever) in the next trailer would probably half-kill this whole controversy. Same if we get to see a local good guy like Luis in RE4 blasting zombies next to Chris.

Proj2501 said:
Oh yea...Aaz. I played Wii for the first time in, IDK almost 10 months the other night. My friend's G/F brought over Trauma Center...wow, THAT game alone made me want a Wii. So, I'm sure; like you've been telling me, RE4 must be fracken sick and UC will most likely kick ass. I CAN'T WAIT TO SHOOT THINGS!!!! HEIL BIOHAZARD!!!! :schierke:

Hahaha that's cool man. :guts:

EDIT: Apparently, it's just Kotaku that announced it was "almost confirmed" by a secret insider that it takes place in Haiti. No real official confirmation yet. It'd be funny to see how non-infected characters would deal with it anyway, considering the zombie monster originated from there. Wesker, using voodoo magic this time?! :troll:

Aazealh said:
Same if we get to see a local good guy like Luis in RE4 blasting zombies next to Chris.

Exactly. Chris' AFRICAN side-kick could be stomping baby-zombies in the face and setting their cribs on fire (to avoid baby-zombie-crimson-heads) and it'd be all good. :daiba: Please Capcom...read this...and shut people up. BTW, work on a decent plot this time around. :carcus:

Aazealh said:
Wesker, using voodoo magic this time?! :troll:
If I find out a component of the T and G Viruses were derived from Vodoo Magaic...I'm burning anything and everything Resident Evil. Period.

Oh yea. I just found out today. Because I'm always behind on the little things. UC supports 2 players.
continental-thumb.bmp

Wowee wow wow.​

Griffith

Great reply Proj, and I haven't lost sight of the point you make. It's almost more what Aaz called out critics about for it being culture-centric; there's a history of such racial subterfuge in a lot of American, and World, literature and media. And I don't think Resident Evil's current pattern is above examination in that regard, but like I said in the RE5 thread a while back, I don't actually believe that Capcom has a racist agenda to promote. They're a company worried about the bottom line after all, but to that end, I do think they could be using passive racism/xenophobia to subconsciously heighten the effectiveness, and therefore sales, of their games. I don't have a real strong emotional or personal right or wrong investment in that, but I do find it quite interesting to say the least.

Aazealh said:
I think you guys are overlooking the most important thing. These zombies are going to be speaking French! W00t! My dream comes true! :ganishka:

A lot of your enemies on the board will be thinking of you, Aaz. :carcus:

When are they making the one set in Rome? :troll:

Top Bottom