Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles

Griffith No More! said:
I don't actually believe that Capcom has a racist agenda to promote. They're a company worried about the bottom line after all, but to that end, I do think they could be passively using racism/xenophobia to heighten the effectiveness, and therefore sales, of their games.

I agree. But would agree with you even more if RE5 was taking place in your stereo-typical Middle Eastern Country. You follow me? I could probably benefit from clearer terminology.

After typing that. I DO remember reading that in the RE 5 trailer you hear "Allah is great." Am I wrong?
If that's true, then I now agree with you more Griffith. That would def. tap into certain, mainly American, Islamic-phobia.

Hmmm. You give me something to ponder Griffith. Good man.

I'm ser. buzzing. I need rest. Night SK'ers.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
Oh yea. I just found out today. Because I'm always behind on the little things. UC supports 2 players.

Damn man, yeah you're late indeed, didn't we talk about it a couple times already?

Griffith No More! said:
I don't actually believe that Capcom has a racist agenda to promote.

Haha yeah I can definitely imagine their creation pattern being something like this:

"Hey guys we need new, fresh ideas for RE5!"
- Ok dude how about we make it in a castle or a big mansion!
- Man that's SO been done.
- Ok then what about redneck country like in that flick I saw the other day, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre?
- Yeah we sorta did that too, only we said it was in Europe. :schierke:
- Some small, closed off town? Maybe with fog?
- Ok you're fired. Anyone else?

- Uhh, iceland?
- Alright how about the desert then? I heard Kojima had this genius idea about it or something.
- Hmm yeah I guess nobody can say we're pulling out the same shit over and over again if we do that. What about the enemies though, we reuse the Ganados or whatever we called them? We'll get called out on that.
- Well I don't know man... ... ... DUDE!!
- What?
- Let's make them black!
- What? Wow, great idea, totally new, never done in any game before, SOLD!

- BTW, what about the plot?
- Oh, that part's easy. Wesker is using DNA found in dinosaur bones (it's well known there's plenty of 'em in the desert) to create a new Virus called the T-Dino virus but this one keeps the zombies smart like the bugs in RE4, but they have cold blood so they need to warm themselves in the sun like lizards. We can also reuse the character models from Dino Crisis so it's all cheap. Chris is back and learns that Sherry is really his abducted daughter. Also William Birkin isn't dead, he faked it back then and now controls a secret company way bigger than Umbrella. Chris has 8 hours to rescue a kidnapped Claire that was inseminated with a Tyrant embryo, but also to send an antidote to the G8 leaders that are all in danger of becoming zombies! Hunnigan will be back so you can keep in touch with them at all times.

I expect nothing less epic.

Griffith No More! said:
A lot of your enemies on the board will be thinking of you, Aaz. :carcus:

Hahaha, why not. "I keep shooting him, but he just gets back up! He's unstoppable! Run for your lives!" :badbone:

kristinpic15.jpg

"STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARSSSSSS!!"

Proj2501 said:
After typing that. I DO remember reading that in the RE 5 trailer you hear "Allah is great." Am I wrong?

Hmm, no idea about that. I think I did read it once somewhere, but I didn't give it much credit given the sensationalism going on (and I didn't notice it in the trailer myself). That'd be very clumsy and completely unnecessary so I somehow doubt it's the case. I mean there's already 2 controversies going on: 1) the race card and 2) the "third world country" thing. This would also add a 3) religion part and that'd be quite a mess. Plus, Muslims in Haiti? Not really.

skip to the "other stuff" for the best cap of the RE5 "racial issue".
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/zeropunctuation/1350-Zero-Punctuation-Heavenly-Sword-and-Other-Stuff

Only thing I can add to it is the note of "well RE4=RE5" in terms of everything namely regarding the obvious "white awesome previous RE character killing minority in America yet predominant demographic in said country", but eh, its not like ten years ago..or rather (feeling too old for once) in the past two decades of video games we haven't already killed every man/woman/race/species in the universe ten thousand times over.
So until Ninjas are represented for having to suffer and endure the countless BRUTAL murders found in games like the Ninja Gaiden series, the "genocide" content of RE4 and RE5 seem rather old news.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Proj2501 said:
I agree. But would agree with you even more if RE5 was taking place in your stereo-typical Middle Eastern Country. You follow me? I could probably benefit from clearer terminology.

If that's true, then I now agree with you more Griffith. That would def. tap into certain, mainly American, Islamic-phobia.

Remember, they already played that card in RE4, as Las Plagas were basically a bunch of anti-American religious terrorists (just replace the Muslim Arabs with Mexican-accented Spaniards =). To quote Leon, "This is no ritual, this is terrorism!" Uh... yeah, not my first thought, but he was technically right. And there was plenty of other mock anti-American clichés tossed Leon's way, to help get every red-blooded Westerner pumped up for the slaughter! I know I enjoyed the Hell out of it. :guts:

Saddler was the best though, "The American prevailing is a cliché that only happens in your Hollywood movies. Oh, Mr. Kennedy, you
entertain me. To show my appreciation, I will help you awaken from your world of clichés."

Badmouth Hollywood!? Oh no you didn't! And as we now know, clichés and stereotypes obviously prevailed. =)

Proj2501 said:
Hmmm. You give me something to ponder Griffith. Good man.

Right back at ya, and thanks for being open-minded, it's nice to have someone else willing to think in the abstract about this.

Phoenix Wrong! said:
Only thing I can add to it is the note of "well RE4=RE5" in terms of everything namely regarding the obvious "white awesome previous RE character killing minority in America yet predominant demographic in said country"

Once is one thing, twice is another; that's why it's called a pattern, which implies more than a coincidence. Precedent of possible wrongdoing isn't a valid defense.

Phoenix Wrong! said:
but eh, its not like ten years ago..or rather (feeling too old for once) in the past two decades of video games we haven't already killed every man/woman/race/species in the universe ten thousand times over.

I'm honestly finding simple answers like these to be getting more dull and irrelevant the more I hear them, almost to the point of ignorance even...

Phoenix Wrong! said:
So until Ninjas are represented for having to suffer and endure the countless BRUTAL murders found in games like the Ninja Gaiden series, the "genocide" content of RE4 and RE5 seem rather old news.

... well, so much for "almost."

Griffith No More! said:
Once is one thing, twice is another; that's why it's called a pattern, which implies more than a coincidence. Precedent of possible wrongdoing isn't a valid defense.
Again, thanks for pointing out that RE1-3's pattern of implied white city life with corruption abound and responsible for the catastrophe wasn't a complete mockery of the white American social life and the genocide forth coming with a nuclear explosion wasn't overkill with two side chapters, multiple spin offs and the like which program some set system that white-America creates its own self destruction is nothing short of a pattern!
Griffith No More! said:
I'm honestly finding simple answers like these to be getting more dull and irrelevant the more I hear them, almost to the point of ignorance even...

... well, so much for "almost."
Yeah, clearly the abundance of Asian-kung fu stereotypes, turning every "Axis" enemy of German and Japan or Italy into the embodiment of evil and justification from killing them in countless World War II titles, the already hot bed controversy of Haiti in Vice City alone, let alone the whole Grand Theft Auto series as a whole, or the Def Jam and Saints Row series for displaying the prominent and successful-long lived lives of the African American community, oh, ah hell, let's get the hot bed rolling? What's wrong with racism? Why are we forgetting the sexist ideals presented in virtually every dating-sim/hentai sim/rape sim/j-game to be released from Japan or the ever present obviousness of Dead or Alive games, man RE5's got all those games beat pants down, -especially- Custer's revenge!

OH, VIOLENCE.

Wait, you were saying something about open-minded things? Sounds to me like a bandwagon. I think I read something about Allah and Haiti has black people. I smell conspiracy, if they don't change Chris to Chinese or Black when they release it or change the religion to christianity, not like BioShock's mockery of it mat...I mean, I'm not buying it. That would actually justify it.

Game Over man, game over!

Griffith

Spare me, I'm talking about a game series with the prominent feature of systematically targeting a new and different foreign country and ethnic population, to dehumanize and kill, with each new game. The fact that it's with an American white male lead (no history or baggage there, right) and made for a predominantly white audience is just icing on the cake. That's one way of stating these facts, I don't think it's the whole truth of it, but the facts remain. So, it's not unreasonable to be dubious of this practice and to question the motives behind it, innocent or otherwise. That's all I'm trying to do here. The problem is that "racism" is a loaded topic, usually with a narrow frame of discussion which revolves obvious bigotry, hatred, racial slurs, and everything else it means in pop culture, so it immediately becomes stupid and sensationalized. That's not what I want to talk about.

So, if you want to add something to this discussion, this issue, this game; happy to have you. Otherwise, save the next three hundred word temper tantrum for one of your own pet topics.

Griffith No More! said:
I don't actually believe that Capcom has a racist agenda to promote. They're a company worried about the bottom line after all, but to that end, I do think they could be using passive racism/xenophobia to subconsciously heighten the effectiveness, and therefore sales, of their games. I don't have a real strong emotional or personal right or wrong investment in that, but I do find it quite interesting to say the least.

Discuss, or don't. I thought the notion that Capcom is picking these locales for their inhabitants and not the other way around was a pretty obvious one.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith No More! said:
Mexican-accented Spaniards =)

Just curious, but do they actually have a Mexican accent? I don't hear Mexican very often (i.e. never), but their Spanish seemed... Well, pretty "Spanish" to me. What you'd expect to hear from some farmers in the countryside. =) I'm sure one of our Spanish proficient member could clarify that, since that article I posted was the first time I heard about it.

Griffith

Well, despite years of officially taking Spanish classes, I'm no better with Mexican Spanish. :guts:

But my Spanish speaking friends here had no problem understanding and translating what was being said fluently, and they only speak Mexican Español, not Spanish Castellano. Of course, since they only speak the one, they couldn't compare/contrast similarities to the other, so I'm curious to hear from an expert too. There was apparently some unique Mexican phrases in there though, if I remember. Capcom probably just used the only Spanish they knew. =)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith No More! said:
Well, despite years of officially taking Spanish classes, I'm no better with Mexican Spanish. :guts:

Same case here, though with PURE Spanish. :guts: I have an excuse however, the last class I took was many years ago. =)

Griffith No More! said:
But my Spanish speaking friends here had no problem understanding and translating what was being said fluently, and they only speak Mexican Español, not Spanish Castellano. Of course, since they only speak the one, they couldn't compare/contrast similarities to the other, so I'm curious to hear from an expert too. There was apparently some unique Mexican phrases in there though, if I remember. Capcom probably just used the only Spanish they knew. =)

To the best of my knowledge, people speaking Spanish from Latin America will understand Spanish from Spain and vice versa, despite using different expressions and generally finding each other's idioms and slang weird and/or funny. Same with Brazil and Portugal. I think Nomad could tell if no one else, just gotta get that rascal to read the thread. :guts:

Longest post in the history of SK coming up, tl;dr than don't

Griffith No More! said:
Spare me, I'm talking about a game series with the prominent feature of systematically targeting a new and different foreign country and ethnic population, to dehumanize and kill, with each new game.
Like Umbrella Chronicles.
Griffith No More! said:
The fact that it's with an American white male lead (no history or baggage there, right)
Yeah, why in the world is Capcom using Chris Redfield? Wesker? Sherry Birkin? I guess they're making some white supremacy statement.
Griffith No More! said:
and made for a predominantly white audience is just icing on the cake.
Yeah, BioHazard is made just for whites. And at best, assuming any other race have played the games, it might just be one or two people right? Certainly there are no people of African or Spanish descent who played that atrociously racist RE4 and they all are protesting/objecting to play RE5 as we speak. Clearly, if they do play it, they are being ignorant of your godly advice, you yourself of their ethnic background and thus their protector and the one to make choices for them and shatter their ignorance and free will when it comes to choices of virtual entertainment! OH SAVIOR, SALLY FORTH!

Griffith No More! said:
That's one way of stating these facts, I don't think it's the whole truth of it, but the facts remain.
Perspective, GnM. You've brought no facts to the table whatsover. We get the fucking point, or rather I get yours. We get the point Chris is killing black people in Haiti who just might so happen to have a few Muslims in their zombie-party. Until your stance about a game you never even played reveals you share an equal stance on RE4 (something tells me I'm not going to find any posts in which you were a moral objector to playing that, feel free to correct me) you're just being purely hypocritical here.
Griffith No More! said:
So, it's not unreasonable to be dubious of this practice and to question the motives behind it, innocent or otherwise.
And it's down right ignorant of you to suggest RE5 is the only game with potential innocent or even direct discrimination in it. That's -my- problem with this statement. Do you really think RE5 is the only game with a "racist" viewpoint? Do you think its the only game with a potential crowd being alienated or discriminated against? Maybe I'm too much of the Colbert-camp "I don't see a black male, I see an American!" in my blissful arrogance, but I don't see anything remotely racist about "Chris=white" "zombies=black"must equal KKK.

Other than like RE4, a simple punchline for witty comments, which you yourself have not morally objected to taking shots at (loved your "Shootin black people" satire, but because it was the latter and a joke its perfectly not racist right and therefore any more justifiable?). If you do, I'm glad we still have people who think in such black and white perspectives. I'll get to the point eventually in why I think all this coming from you specifically is ignorance at best and hypocrisy at worst.
Griffith No More! said:
That's all I'm trying to do here. The problem is that "racism" is a loaded topic, usually with a narrow frame of discussion which revolves obvious bigotry, hatred, racial slurs, and everything else it means in pop culture, so it immediately becomes stupid and sensationalized.
Spoilers for the racially sensitive.
Yes, I clearly heard Chris exclaim "Niggers" as he threw a bucket of KFC into the zombie infested crowd and proceeded to go to the item wheel and pull out "rope" and began lynching them screaming "JIM CROW LAWS ARE IN FULL EFFECT!".
When that happens, I'm in the same boat with you. That game is racist and people shouldn't play it.
However,
RE5 is made by Japanese developer and publisher Capcom, even if you wanted to prove your baseless claim that the majority of Resident Evil fans were "White" or even assuming this obvious fact-less demograph wouldn't exactly prove that there isn't a strong following from other races/cultures, than you yourself have proven to be quite a stereotyping bigot. To follow up on this, let's summarize something we know you enjoy, and see if from a perspective of someone who knows everything in this case and by that I mean nothing about what's happening in said fictional material, if they would agree it holds no racist, hate, bigotry and is full on discrimination...

Well you're right sir! Down with RE5!

Resident Evil 5 brings back a previous -WELL KNOWN- protagonist (yes, I Wonder why they keep bringing back these white bastards, couldn't be they have a fanbase for this series and the demand/personal staff wishes to see these characters come back! ITS GOT TO BE...racism?) and he goes to an African/foreign village which has Black people, who he will kill because they are zombies, much like he's done in 3+ games of white people not to mention countless re-releases and ports there of...
and they might be Muslim.
You've got
-White male goes to zombie village, kills black people violently.
-They might be Muslim

Heard that sound? Pandora's box just opened. Or, it could be the subject of anything white/black+coupled with well known franchise=bloated hot air.
Yes, compared to that wall of text I just posted about Berserk, doesn't that seem rather trivial, let alone assumptions given you don't actually know 100% what's occurring in the game? Point being there's NOTHING "racist" that doesn't deal with perspective to come from RE5 thus far. Chris has made no racist remarks, he's not out to kill people-of-African-origin because they are black just like Leon wasn't out to kill Hispanics just because they were a different color.

If you never played RE4 for that reason, I BELIEVE YOU. I think you have a very sound and non-objective argument that stems from your moral standards not to lower yourself to such "trash".

But SOMETHING tells me if you played RE4 and went through the whole game, oh wow, what good moral objections did right? It certainly didn't bother you to play through the 10+ hours! Game must have been a pure shitfest for you. And you have no intention of touching or enjoying RE5 right?

If that's true, hey, again, good for you. You've unmasked Capcom's brilliant world domination and racist plan to bring Umbrella to real life! Or...you apparently are ignorant (don't take it such an offensive word) to the fact there are other ALREADY RELEASED games with far more objectionable content concerning the -human race- than a yet-released RE5.

Nothing has stopped a Japanese-developer from making nearly 10+ games in which whites practically eradicate an entire city, mostly involving a white populace and with a nuke, from ever being called "racist", it hasn't stopped me or the millions of other ethnically diverse players from enjoying the game. I doubt any of this "racism" controversy will effect my enjoyment of the game or morally object to playing it.

If it does for you, well, again you see my point. -Fantastic-, you're a morally sound person!
Griffith No More! said:
So, if you want to add something to this discussion, this issue, this game; happy to have you. Otherwise, save the next three hundred word temper tantrum for one of your own pet topics.
I stayed on the thread an extra hour patiently awaiting your reply and the next morning this is the most witty retort you could cram in there?

"In conclusion, Phoenix Wrong!, you're a douche."

Would have at least gotten me a chuckle or two. Next time, work less on your punchline and more on your point.
Griffith No More! said:
Discuss, or don't. I thought the notion that Capcom is picking these locales for their inhabitants and not the other way around was a pretty obvious one.
The only thing I will agree on is Capcom's being a little stereotypical in its choices to "change scenery" quite literally. Does it come off to me as racist? No more than any other racial choice in a game or movie. In my opinion, another "scary movie" or action flick with the token black guy is a lot more "stereotype handicapping" than RE5 taking the serpent and the rainbow a bit too literally and giving bill pullman a gun instead of deductive reasoning.

Other than that, I hope you enjoy Umbrella Chronicles instead. No ethnic zombies so far I can assure you!

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
It's a bit confusing to really pinpoint the specific spanish type in RE4. To be more specific, in most cinema cuts in the game most of the spanish speaking characters have the Castellano and Gallego (Northern Spain) accent. Yet when in game most villains such as the Ganados & Co. barely have any. But then again they are pretty much all one liners, at least most of them. Hope this solves the mystery :badbone:

Aazealh said:
Hahaha are you kidding? Don't delude yourself, amateur. :badbone:
*slashing sound*
It's not? :miura:
EVIDENCE! Or maybe its best I don't know them?
Nomad said:
It's a bit confusing to really pinpoint the specific spanish type in RE4. To be more specific, in most cinema cuts in the game most of the spanish speaking characters have the Castellano and Gallego (Northern Spain) accent. Yet when in game most villains such as the Ganados & Co. barely have any. But then again they are pretty much all one liners, at least most of them. Hope this solves the mystery :badbone:
Interesting! I should listen to the cutscenes more, but like you said the accent in-game seemed pretty non existent.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Nomad said:

Thanks man, you're awesome. =) So basically, just so it's clear, it can't be said that any of them sounds typically Mexican or whatever?

Phoenix Wrong! said:
EVIDENCE! Or maybe its best I don't know them?

Haha yeah, they've broken minds before, Cthulhu-style. You know a post is too long when you keep scrolling down long enough to forget about it then suddenly realize it hasn't ended yet.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Aazealh said:
Thanks man, you're awesome. =) So basically, just so it's clear, it can't be said that any of them sounds typically Mexican or whatever?

Well, the only south american accent I picked up there was from Luis. His spanish was heavy on the Colombian side. But that's pretty much it. I personally didn't picked up any Mexican spanish anywhere.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Nomad said:
Well, the only south american accent I picked up there was from Luis. His spanish was heavy on the Colombian side. But that's pretty much it. I personally didn't picked up any Mexican spanish anywhere.

Hehe alright, somehow I'm not too surprised considering how they went with the character. Thanks a lot again man! :serpico:

Aazealh said:
Hehe alright, somehow I'm not too surprised considering how they went with the character. Thanks a lot again man! :serpico:
ballistics Too!?
Thanks for the info to Nomad either way.

Candidate for Best Dialog in a video game, Oh Luis how we will miss thee. I also noticed ironically a trend in RE on a different note, namely tragic deaths of characters. RE1 we had plenty depending on scenario, RE2 we had Ben/Ada, in RE3 Brad, CV Rodrigo and Leonardo De..I mean Steve, and in RE4 Mike and Luis.
Actually Mike's death...poor Mike, didn't even get his last drink. Now the question comes who's time is up in RE C (I'm guessing somebody might die at the end of Umbrella perhaps that isn't an enemy?) and RE5.

There is some new scans from the game @ www.rehorror.net

I find funny that wesker gets to fight the tyrant, from the looks of the picture I would guess its after the mansion blows up. Which is strange, last I remember I jammed a rocket into it. (I loved how in the remake, he would knock the missiles away.) But I maybe mistaken where that scene it taking place. Place, I think it cool you run into "Lisa" again. (Another factor about the remake that I like, is that they bought the Trevor Dairies" back, which they scrapped from the original Beta version.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
I find funny that wesker gets to fight the tyrant, from the looks of the picture I would guess its after the mansion blows up. Which is strange, last I remember I jammed a rocket into it.

Nah, I'd say it'll more probably occur in between the first fight against it and the second. Like, while the characters are trying to get to the Heliport, Wesker will "revive" and confront the Tyrant, eventually evading while the monster will go after the S.T.A.R.S.

EDIT: Apparently it's the prototype Tyrant from Resident Evil 0.

Death May Die said:
I think it cool you run into "Lisa" again.

Yeah, I hope we see and learn more about her. REmake left me unsatisfied about it. Maybe she's the one in the tank in RE5?! :isidro: :guts:

I will respond to all the jazz in this thread when I get home later on. I've been dwelling on it, for over an hour now. To summarize what's running through my head.

Capcom is not promoting racism. Not intentionally. It's a matter of how you read into the trailer. If you are famaliar with the premise of the Resident Evil franchise, you probably just think 'Whoa, an outbreak in Africa.' For people who are not famaliar with RE, 'Whoa a white guy killing lots of innocent-machete weilding black people. OH NOEZ!'

I think it's fair to say that throughout the Resident Evil series, white people have been 'heroes' as much as they've been 'villians'.

All the EVIL WHITE GUYS
Wesker
Marcus
Birkin
Nicholai (Russin..still white!)
Alexia
Alfred
Goldman (Survivor)
Morpheus (Dead Aim)

Resident Evil is a series inspired by George A. Romero films. Right? So when Capcom decided to delve into the survival horror scene, they followed Romero's suit. Raccoon City, a typical mid-western town, made the game very relatable to most people in the US. Almost all the zombies you face in Resident Evil 0 - Code Veronica and even the Outbreak titles, are (I can't believe we're arguing over this) Caucasian Zombies. So after RE3, they NUKE Raccoon City. I truly believe that in the minds of the people over at Capcom, with RE4, it was time to take the series to new locations, to keep the settings fresh and unique. (Gamers were tired of the same old thing.) NOT to use the 'residents' of then new locations chosen as an opportunity for the 'white heroes' to kill all ethnicities possible! That concept is ludicrous.

And why Africa. Well, let's be honest. It's a hotbed these days for genocide and all other types of craziness. As is the Middle East. Maybe Africa is being used for more symbolic reasons. The Cradle of Life being threatened possibly.

On that note. I'll rope in Konami for a moment. MGS2 was originally supposed to take place on a tanker and in the Middle East. But due to the state of affairs at the time, the developers choose a different setting and a dif. character (I'll get to that in a moment). My point being is that developers and gaming companies ARE aware that games most certainly spark controversy. It is in their best interest to avoid controversy when possible. As Griff said, it's all about the $bottom line$.

Chris, the EVIL KKK Member
Yes, he's white and has been since the Biohazard came outin Japan in 1996(?). As I pointed out, practically EVERY villian has been white. (White Devil anyone? Maybe the Japanese HATE WHITE PEOPLE!) :schierke:
Konami again: Why not play as Solid Snake (as Kojima stated, your typical American Hero, even based off Snake Pliskin) in MGS2? Why Raiden? Because they thought playing as Raiden would affect the bottom line...in a good way. They made a survey to see which character (Snake or Raiden) female gamers would rather play as. Raiden was the winner. ANd so, ew played that game as Raiden because some big wigs thought the Raiden-appeal would win over the ladies. Yep.
It would seem, the Japanese rather not play this genre as Japanese. You follow me? No main character...or villian, has been of Japanese decent. Ada Wong certainly sounds Chinese to me. Why?
Why Raiden (Nazi poster boy) and Chris and a slew of other white heroes?

I need to run now. But will be back to add more.

And Phoenix...do you try to make enemies?

Aazealh said:
Yeah, I hope we see and learn more about her. (Lisa) REmake left me unsatisfied about it. Maybe she's the one in the tank in RE5?! :isidro: :guts:
Lisa was how the Tyrant and later G-Virus & Nemesis were created as was kinda rivaling the whole T-Veronica thing going on in the boonies so there is little dought she's still floating around somewhere but whether or not shes the one in the tank is very doubtful imo. They are saying another character from the RE series is going to be in RE5. It's a possability it might be Sherry in that tube however.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
All the EVIL WHITE GUYS

You're forgetting the police chief in RE2, plus Saddler and Krauzer in RE4. :guts:

TriFrog said:
Lisa was how the Tyrant and later G-Virus & Nemesis were created as was kinda rivaling the whole T-Veronica thing going on in the boonies

Well, not exactly. They tested a lot of things on her, including Nemesis, but it didn't truly originate from her. She was injected with the Progenitor virus, the basis of all them all (derivated from Ebola, apparently), and then they made a lot of tests and experiments. The resulting data helped develop the T-Virus and a functional version of the Nemesis-type Tyrant, but the only one that was found directly in her body is the G-Virus, and even then it's said to have been just the basis that Birkin worked on for years to develop it. And all in all I'd say the T-Veronica virus was mostly a failure, especially since it's a mere derivative of the T-Virus. Hell, the secret virus Birkin created for Wesker seems a lot more useful to me.

TriFrog said:
so there is little dought she's still floating around somewhere but whether or not shes the one in the tank is very doubtful imo. They are saying another character from the RE series is going to be in RE5. It's a possability it might be Sherry in that tube however.

Yeah, as you can read in the RE5 thread, my belief is that it's actually Sherry in that tank, and besides Capcom heavily hinted at it since then. I was kidding about Lisa (don't think anyone's got the technology required to "cure" her from what she's become), although it's true I'd really like to learn more about her fate and basically see her featured more considering how important she was.

Yea I know all about that but it's not something I wanted to write a paper on here, but
Aazealh said:
I'd really like to learn more about her fate and basically see her featured more considering how important she was.
Yea, this is true.
It would also be kinda cool to hear more specifics about Hunk as well, like on Rockfort Island. But maybe they just don't throw this information out into game form in "fear" of making a new Gun Survivor or Gaiden.

Griffith

Phoenix Wrong! said:
Longest post in the history of SK coming up, tl;dr than don't

No, just the most uneconomically, and therefore poorly, written; I'll try to reply in kind. =)

Phoenix Wrong! said:
Like Umbrella Chronicles.

I was being very specific, and this isn't a multiple choice right/wrong answer snipe fest. Please don't play the name game.

Phoenix Wrong! said:
Yeah, why in the world is Capcom using Chris Redfield? Wesker? Sherry Birkin? I guess they're making some white supremacy statement.Yeah, BioHazard is made just for whites. And at best, assuming any other race have played the games, it might just be one or two people right? Certainly there are no people of African or Spanish descent who played that atrociously racist RE4 and they all are protesting/objecting to play RE5 as we speak. Clearly, if they do play it, they are being ignorant of your godly advice, you yourself of their ethnic background and thus their protector and the one to make choices for them and shatter their ignorance and free will when it comes to choices of virtual entertainment! OH SAVIOR, SALLY FORTH!

Again, why did it come to this? I was simply asking you to examine possible subtext and what it could mean to different people. You know, put yourself in someone else's shoes. Think about it intellectually and in the abstract. Instead you've taken everything quite narrowly and literally, from the games to my analysis.

Phoenix Wrong! said:
Perspective, GnM. You've brought no facts to the table whatsover. We get the fucking point, or rather I get yours. We get the point Chris is killing black people in Haiti who just might so happen to have a few Muslims in their zombie-party. Until your stance about a game you never even played reveals you share an equal stance on RE4 (something tells me I'm not going to find any posts in which you were a moral objector to playing that, feel free to correct me) you're just being purely hypocritical here.

That was the point about patterns you either missed or intentionally twisted. Even though it was in response to your assertion that if one didn't complain about RE4, they couldn't about 5, which was false and dishonest because the point is that at first time is just something different and exotic, so one wouldn't jump to this conclusion, or at least give them the benefit of the doubt. But, a second time a pattern emerges, and changes the context of the first as well.

So, despite that specific response to a specific point, you turned it into a tangent about the pattern of RE taking place in white America for the first three games and it must be "racist against whites too omg lol" (yeah, you're sense of history and equality is so enlightened). Even taking didnifying that with response, it begs the question why these arbitrary location changes? What organic story element directed it towards Spain, and now Haiti!? You say they're just bringing back the status quo like Chris Redfield, but what's Haiti or any other poor minority village have to do with that? And what do you have against questioning this?

Phoenix Wrong! said:
And it's down right ignorant of you to suggest RE5 is the only game with potential innocent or even direct discrimination in it. That's -my- problem with this statement. Do you really think RE5 is the only game with a "racist" viewpoint? Do you think its the only game with a potential crowd being alienated or discriminated against? Maybe I'm too much of the Colbert-camp "I don't see a black male, I see an American!" in my blissful arrogance, but I don't see anything remotely racist about "Chris=white" "zombies=black"must equal KKK.

It's worth mentioning that Colbert is a satire of the ignorant conservatism. Anyway, I didn't say anything so blunt, that's just what you saw through your filter where everything READS LIKE THIS! I actually went out of my way to explain that wasn't my point. Did you actually read all my earlier posts on this here and in the RE5 thread and think about it, or did you just jump in because you felt slighted?

Phoenix Wrong! said:
Other than like RE4, a simple punchline for witty comments, which you yourself have not morally objected to taking shots at (loved your "Shootin black people" satire, but because it was the latter and a joke its perfectly not racist right and therefore any more justifiable?). If you do, I'm glad we still have people who think in such black and white perspectives. I'll get to the point eventually in why I think all this coming from you specifically is ignorance at best and hypocrisy at worst. Spoilers for the racially sensitive.
Yes, I clearly heard Chris exclaim "Niggers" as he threw a bucket of KFC into the zombie infested crowd and proceeded to go to the item wheel and pull out "rope" and began lynching them screaming "JIM CROW LAWS ARE IN FULL EFFECT!".
When that happens, I'm in the same boat with you. That game is racist and people shouldn't play it.

Yeah, and like I said, that's a pretty narrow ignorant point of view, only seeing cartoon racism in terms of pop culture extremes: KKK, Nazis, and the N-word.

Phoenix Wrong! said:
RE5 is made by Japanese developer and publisher Capcom, even if you wanted to prove your baseless claim that the majority of Resident Evil fans were "White" or even assuming this obvious fact-less demograph wouldn't exactly prove that there isn't a strong following from other races/cultures, than you yourself have proven to be quite a stereotyping bigot. To follow up on this, let's summarize something we know you enjoy, and see if from a perspective of someone who knows everything in this case and by that I mean nothing about what's happening in said fictional material, if they would agree it holds no racist, hate, bigotry and is full on discrimination...

I read lots of material with not only racist subtext, but overt racism (particularly my fantasy favorites from the 30's =), it's really not hard to find, and I guess I'm obviously more attuned or sensitive to it. I just keep aware of it, and don't deny it or rationalize it. As I've said before, I'm not even making moral judgments on this one way or another, I don't have a strong moral feeling or horse in this race. I'm just indulging my intellectual curiosity about the hoopla RE5; granted, that's obviously where I went wrong in the first place. =)

Phoenix Wrong! said:
Point being there's NOTHING "racist" that doesn't deal with perspective to come from RE5 thus far. Chris has made no racist remarks, he's not out to kill people-of-African-origin because they are black just like Leon wasn't out to kill Hispanics just because they were a different color.

Obviously not, but you understand you have to think a little bit outside the box here, right? Also, as was clear to me a while ago and should be clear to anybody now, we're not even talking about the same kind, or degree, of racism. Should we have clarification session before continuing?

Phoenix Wrong! said:
But SOMETHING tells me if you played RE4 and went through the whole game, oh wow, what good moral objections did right? It certainly didn't bother you to play through the 10+ hours! Game must have been a pure shitfest for you. And you have no intention of touching or enjoying RE5 right?

Nope, enjoyed it, looking forward to RE5. Again, you're not on the same page.

Phoenix Wrong! said:
If that's true, hey, again, good for you. You've unmasked Capcom's brilliant world domination and racist plan to bring Umbrella to real life! Or...you apparently are ignorant (don't take it such an offensive word) to the fact there are other ALREADY RELEASED games with far more objectionable content concerning the -human race- than a yet-released RE5.

Now I'm wondering if I should even be replying to this post at all? You seem to be quite happy having both sides of the conversation by yourself. Also, as for being defensive over the word, my simple one line objection to your glib comments, implying such about you, is what got us here 1500 words later.

Phoenix Wrong! said:
Nothing has stopped a Japanese-developer from making nearly 10+ games in which whites practically eradicate an entire city, mostly involving a white populace and with a nuke, from ever being called "racist", it hasn't stopped me or the millions of other ethnically diverse players from enjoying the game. I doubt any of this "racism" controversy will effect my enjoyment of the game or morally object to playing it.

It won't effect mine either, as a matter of fact I'm enjoying just thinking about it like this, that being subtext, not only what it means externally to itself, but what else it could mean to others. Reading between the lines and interpreting, you know, like you do with what everyone on here says. Seriously, it amazes me how you twist people's words here yet hold so true Resident Evil.

Phoenix Wrong! said:
I stayed on the thread an extra hour patiently awaiting your reply and the next morning this is the most witty retort you could cram in there?

"In conclusion, Phoenix Wrong!, you're a douche."
a
Would have at least gotten me a chuckle or two. Next time, work less on your punchline and more on your point.

Well, first of all, it's just sad that you were waiting for me. =)

Secondly, was I wrong? You did exactly what I said you would except now it's a full 1000 word temper tantrum. You largely ignored or perverted my point, or this topic is just outside your awareness in general, in any case, you dumbed down the argument to sensational extremes, histrionics, and exclamation points like I specifically asked you not to. You've probably written more in sarcastically "reiterating" what I've supposedly said than I've written about the subject in the first place; something doesn't add up there. Why, if I wasn't such a nice and even-keeled guy, I would've just deleted this mess.

I mean, really, this was something very simple and elegant and subtle, but you make everything out to be LIKE THIS!

Phoenix Wrong! said:
The only thing I will agree on is Capcom's being a little stereotypical in its choices to "change scenery" quite literally. Does it come off to me as racist? No more than any other racial choice in a game or movie.

Yeah, including movies by Leni Riefenstahl; just an infestation of rats in the streets, like in RE2! :troll:

P.S. I won't think any less of you, quite the opposite in fact, if you reply within a reasonable length (300 words or less would be lovely =), you can even ignore addressing me specifically to focus on concentrating on your own thoughts so that nobody misinterprets you; I know I hate that. Anyway, that's how I plan to approach this moving forward, if at all, so please do join me and maybe we'll get somewhere yet.

Proj2501 said:
And Phoenix...do you try to make enemies?

Yeah, wowie wowie wow indeed, huh? As we say in the Vagabond Inn, his bloodthirst turns everyone into an enemy. =)

Also, notice that you and I didn't share the same position and still don't really, yet we quickly managed to at least come to a mutual understanding through reasonable conversation. Hmmmmm.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
TriFrog said:
It would also be kinda cool to hear more specifics about Hunk as well, like on Rockfort Island. But maybe they just don't throw this information out into game form in "fear" of making a new Gun Survivor or Gaiden.

Well, apparently Hunk will be featured in RE: UC, so let's hope for details on what he did there. =) Honestly, my most fanboyish hopes are that Hunk becomes more "neutral" in the future, as any good mercenary should be (besides, Umbrella's supposed to have disappeared), and takes up a somewhat more important part in the story (and by that I mean being mentioned at all or having a little bonus mode for himself rather than just being in a mercenary mode).

Top Bottom