Spider-Man 3/Black Costume

Harry and Peter round 2 was my favorite fight out of the whole movie. But I still can't believe how much wasted potential Venom had. They were keeping him as the big secret/surprise and then when he's there it's all pretty underwhelming.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
dwarfkicker said:
Harry and Peter round 2 was my favorite fight out of the whole movie. But I still can't believe how much wasted potential Venom had. They were keeping him as the big secret/surprise and then when he's there it's all pretty underwhelming.
I had read back before Spiderman 3 was just a rumor that the person directing is said that they did not want Venom to have a big role and that he didn't really like him.

Meh... I'm sure that many other people like myself were looking forward to Venom just beating the hell out of people.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
dwarfkicker said:

I agree, but I think Topher Grace did a pretty good job. My favorite parts were the two fight scenes with Harry, which were awesome. Also, when Pete turns into a huge jag after getting the black suit. Thrusting into the air, being a dick to Mary Jane, and bossing the landlord's daughter into feeding him milk and cookies was hilarious.

CnC

Ad Oculos
I thought it was a good movie... but it was too much material. Had they saved venom for the 4th movie and focused and gave the plot a little more room to breathe I thought it would have been better.

Acting, dialogue, etc. was all spot on but I felt they tackled too much and the overall movie suffered for it.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
CnC said:
Acting, dialogue, etc. was all spot on but I felt they tackled too much and the overall movie suffered for it.

I completely agree. It might've worked, had the movie been 30-45 minutes longer, but it really did feel like they tried to tackle too much at once. I enjoyed what Venom there was, but I wish they'd saved him for the 4th movie (if there's going to be one, that is). Spidey 3 was enjoyable, but number two is still my favorite of the three.

Maybe we'll get a symbiote free-for-all?!

Venom, Carnage, Toxin, Scream, Phage, Riot, Lasher, Agony, She-Venom, and Hybrid. :isidro:

Who wouldn't want to see that?!

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Captain Napalm said:

Venom, Carnage, Toxin, Scream, Phage, Riot, Lasher, Agony, She-Venom, and Hybrid. :isidro:

What the hell? You lost me after Carnage! I'm assuming those are from Planet of the Symbiote story from the Venom mini-series. Never read those and from the pics I've seen I'm kinda glad. I don't know though, the female Carnage is pretty hot! :schierke:
Venom_Spawn_(Donna)_Head.jpg

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Captain Napalm said:

Well, Raimi for one. I've read he really didn't even want to include Venom, but did so out of popular demand. I've never had any problem with the character, and personally like him a lot. From what I remember, the writer who tackled Venom on "Ultimate Spider-Man," had the same kind of relationship with Venom, and kind of shoehorned him into a brief arc.

I heard it was his producer who (and in the articles I'd read, the only person to) convinced him that it's "Venom they want to see!" and not whoever the hell Raimi was writing about. He also told him he should totally disregard the original chronology even more and throw Gwen in there for good measure. For the fans.

Raimi said he had a smaller script planned originally.

Walter said:
I've read he really didn't even want to include Venom, but did so out of popular demand.

I don't blame him. Venom would be hard to pull off (not to mention such a character doesn't have much depth). I think he did really well though... Although I didn't really like the path they chose for his voice and one shot bothered me a lot (although after thinking on it for a little bit, I figured it made sense).

I think my favorite character in the third movie would have to be Harry Osbourn. I thought he was a blast.

just beat spiderman 3 on ps2... it was horrible compared to part 2... they took away so many fun essential gameplay features... ie: hanging baddies from streetlights, picking them up and swinging around city and then chucking them off the tallest building, swinging upto 4 of them at a time around in a circle, full 360 swings, sprinting, no more double web line and charging up, etc... even the feel is all wrong... it really feels like a step back and on top of that it even looks worse than the last one, seriously worse... its sloppy and glitchy and completely disappointing... could it be, as far as the graphics go, that it was made with ps3 and 360 in mind so it was dumbed down for ps2... does anyone else have an opinion on this...

Sony Plans Spidey's Future
And rumors swirl about who may replace the cast.

Saying that he was "really over the moon" about the record-breaking $382 million worldwide debut of Spider-Man 3, Sony Pictures chief executive Michael Lynton is already reportedly mapping out the franchise's future.

"Everybody has every intention of making a fourth, a fifth and a sixth and on and on," Lynton informed the BBC. He sees the series lasting for "as many as we can make good stories for."

"Everybody's been so busy trying to get this one out that that's been the focus," he added. "When everybody comes up for air, we can think about how to make the next one."

That would seem to include cast and crew, although that hasn't stopped the rumor mill from offering up a name about who might succeed Kirsten Dunst as Mary Jane Watson. According to CinemaBlend.com, Mandy Moore, Alexis Bledel and Camilla Belle are contenders for the role.

The site adds, "Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Jake Gyllenhall are the front runners as of now [to replace Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker] but word is that a third name might be thrown in the mix as well." They also suggest that a new director may be tapped as well since Raimi would want more control over Spidey 4.

CinemaBlend's scooper claims "those in Sony don't want to give Tobey or the returning cast that kind of money because they want to lock the cast down for the next three films instead of one and they want to do it cheaply, so they are looking at other actors to continue the franchise in a cheaper way and if the movie opens big and makes a boat load of cash, Tobey and the cast has a huge advantage in negotiations."

It's a no-brainer that Sony wants the Spidey gravy train to keep rolling. For example, of the $148 million that Spider-Man 3 earned in its stateside opening, a record-setting $4.8 million of that came from IMAX screenings. The picture also broke the record for IMAX's largest single day worldwide total at $2.2 million and posted a remarkable domestic opening weekend per screen average of $57,147.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oh come on people... It's not like Joel Schumacher is taking over with his neon lights and hoolahoops. Raimi is still at the wheel. And just because they're making more doesn't mean it will inevitably go downhill.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Walter said:
Oh come on people... It's not like Joel Schumacher is taking over with his neon lights and hoolahoops. Raimi is still at the wheel. And just because they're making more doesn't mean it will inevitably go downhill.

I don't think anyone's jumping ship at Southampton just yet, just taking note at the unusual amount of icebergs in the water.

Oo oo!! (yes monkey-like excitement) That Alexis Bledel girl has dimples!! And she looks a little peppier than Dunst, that would make for a much better Mary Jane (although she does look real young).

Both of the guys they're "considering" look cute (one's more boyish than the other) but neither of them strike me as Peter Parker (then again, neither did Tobey. He still doesn't scream Peter Parker to me). That second guy looks like they were trying to find another Doe-eyed actor, but with some more manly juice.

I guess likeness was never too much of a concern, considering they didn't do anything to mimic that silly hairstyle the Osbournes have (heehee).

I'm looking forward to a movie with fresh actors. I never liked Kirsten's MJ and Tobey's a bit of a weenie Spider-man (though I think his voice is adorable and works for me)

All I'm hoping is that when they do cast a new Spidey they pick a relative unknown as opposed to picking up an A-list actor. People (most of them) are coming to see the movies to see Spidey and Peter Parker, the everyman archetype, not necessarily the actor portraying the character. If you throw in a more well-known actor in, (kind of like George Clooney Batman, and Ah-Nold Mr. Freeze) I think that'll throw things off balance.

However, Tobey has gone on record that he wouldn't necessarily be gone; he may be back if the script is good etc. etc. Still, I think the boy does need a break, raise his kid, so whatever.

I actually haven't gone out to see Spidey 3 yet (I plan to see it next Monday with a few friends, along with 28 Weeks Later), but I really wasn't expecting as much. Spider-Man 1 was amazing simply for the fact that it was a decent adaptation of the comics. Spider-Man 2 got my attention once I saw how they portrayed Doc Ock and how amazing his arms looked in the promo pieces. The third one however... eh. Sandman has always been a thug with nifty powers, but nothing noteworthy. I mean for crying out loud, he was beat in his first outing by a damn vacuum cleaner. The Harry character seemed interesting, but the costume, or at least the headgear makes me think "Paintball-Gunner-on-Crack-Man." Why no Hobgoblin? And Venom... I used to like the character when he first appeared, but since then, he's become pulled all over the place by various characters and now is just weaksauce. And considering how I read months prior to the release that Venom was supposed to be the final third of the movie, I could tell he was just going to be a shoehorn baddie, just to wrap th black suit deal.

Still, that is just my surface judgement. I'm sure I'll like the movie for a movie, but I probably won't be floored.

Darquenaut said:
The Harry character seemed interesting, but the costume, or at least the headgear makes me think "Paintball-Gunner-on-Crack-Man."

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of his mask at first either but after seeing it "in action" I actually liked it (for the little time it was there, LOL). There's actually a scene showing a variety of masks (green goblin mask, chrome-like green goblin mask, and then the paintball mask), I'm not sure how the green goblin mask from the first movie evolved from that paintball mask or why he'd chose the weakest looking mask there but *shrug* who knows? My biggest beef on his costume was, and is, the flying snowboard. :p

Captain Napalm said:
Yeah, I wasn't a fan of his mask at first either but after seeing it "in action" I actually liked it (for the little time it was there, LOL). There's actually a scene showing a variety of masks (green goblin mask, chrome-like green goblin mask, and then the paintball mask), I'm not sure how the green goblin mask from the first movie evolved from that paintball mask or why he'd chose the weakest looking mask there but *shrug* who knows? My biggest beef on his costume was, and is, the flying snowboard. :p

My guess is simply because a lot pf people, myself included, really did not like the movie's Green Goblin mask. I suppose it works in reverse the the Harry Goblin (*sigh*) mask works, in that in stills, it looked awesome, but in the film it was, as someone once best described it, Power Ranger Geen Goblin.

I just had a thought though - in a world where people can be molecularly spliced with sand, have thinking mechanical arms welded to their spines, and become super soldiers by inhaling vaporous green Kool-Aid, why couldn't there be some kind of chemical reaction where the people on Goblin... juice... whatever, have their faces and physical structure contort into the shape of the goblins like we know in the comics, kind of like Hulking out or something? Just a thought, of course.

handsome rakshas said:
What the hell? You lost me after Carnage! I'm assuming those are from Planet of the Symbiote story from the Venom mini-series. Never read those and from the pics I've seen I'm kinda glad. I don't know though, the female Carnage is pretty hot! :schierke:

That picture is actually Scream. Toxin if I remember right was the offspring of the Carnage symbiote that bonded with a cop, Patrick (can't remember his last name). The other five were created artificially from Venom (Spidey and Venom actually teamed up in that arc).

And I say pfffft....Spider-carnage all the way. I so want a movie about him, that would be awesome.

Top Bottom