Young Animal is planning something for Berserk on October 9th

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had already mentioned this possibility at the beginning of the thread, but it's not like a new website should be more exciting to you than developments for the manga itself... Anyway, like I told people in the chat, these types of small events typically bundle a few things together in order to make more of an impact.
I'm talking about getting a new format or reedition of the manga which I find that less interesting than an update on the manga itself, an anime or a shop, but in anyway I think it's good news that they are moving Berserk a bit

Without the sales numbers for Young Animal Zero we can't estimate whether it needed a boost or not, but if a migration were indeed to happen, for one or more reasons, what better series than Berserk. In that case, some extra promotional thing they can tease online to go along with it doesn't seem unlikely.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
The big news about berserk :

"Berserk" will have an exhibition from January 30, 2021 to February 15, 2021 in Tokyo at Ikebukuro Sunshine City. A crowdfunding will be launched on October 9 to build a giant Zodd.

Well, that's... something, I guess. You think there might be more?

Atocas

Voice in the Void
"Berserk" will have an exhibition from January 30, 2021 to February 15, 2021 in Tokyo at Ikebukuro Sunshine City. A crowdfunding will be launched on October 9 to build a giant Zodd.

Considering the pandemic is still very much alive, this looks like a delay/cancellation waiting to happen. Really makes me wonder what inspired them to do this in 2021 specifically. You'd think they'd have some kind of big occasion or release tied to this exhibition. Maybe they want to announce something at the exhibition?

I’m sorry but a giant Zodd? I hate to be that person but is this some sort of out of season April fools joke :azan:No disrespect to Miura or the people that probably plan these things more. I’m sure there is likely more to it. But I have the feeling this would’ve all been better to not have an “announcement” over. Please let me be wrong.

Last edited:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Considering the pandemic is still very much alive, this looks like a delay/cancellation waiting to happen. Really makes me wonder what inspired them to do this in 2021 specifically. You'd think they'd have some kind of big occasion or release tied to this exhibition. Maybe they want to announce something at the exhibition?

Yeah doing an exhibition during a pandemic is a curious choice for sure. It's the last thing I would have expected given the health crisis. It fits the website @BrsrkFreak216 found though. It's probably 大ベルセルク展, meaning the "Big Berserk Exhibition". I'm curious to know what they'll be showing in there, but mostly disappointed that I won't be able to attend, like other international fans. Even if we were willing to travel to see it, the borders are closed...

As for an announcement during the event, I wouldn't hold my breath. That said, there might still be more things planned than just the physical exhibition. The next volume might be released around that time for example.

I’m sorry but a giant Zodd? I hate to be that person but is this some sort of out of season April fools joke :azan:No disrespect to Miura or the people that probably plan these things more. I’m sure there is likely more to it. But I have the feeling this would’ve all been better to not have an “announcement” over. Please let me be wrong.

Well, we have to keep in mind that Young Animal's audience is purely Japanese. Foreign fans like us probably aren't even a blip on their radar.
The expo will take place in a mall, and it remains to be seen how big it is exactly, but I can see how from their perspective it might be worth an announcement. If it was happening in a city near me maybe I'd feel the same. :shrug:

20201006_150918.jpg

If this announcment is ultimately disappointing or not is still to be determined as far as I am concerned.

An Exhibition sounds exciting and can be many things. Either we will just see bunch of already released Berserk Art displayed, or we might get new material alongside with already released stuff to present a theme.

Regardless, my hope is that we get new artwork compiled in an additional booklet/artbook. Would buy such a thing immediately.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
An Exhibition sounds exciting and can be many things. Either we will just see bunch of already released Berserk Art displayed, or we might get new material alongside with already released stuff to present a theme.

There have been Berserk exhibitions in the past, like around the time of the Golden Age movie premiere. And there were a few original pieces from Miura, but for those of us not living in Japan, there's not much for us to engage with. A few social media images will appear, a few promo shots posted online in an official capacity, but I don't expect much more to come from it for those of us overseas.

There have been Berserk exhibitions in the past, like around the time of the Golden Age movie premiere. And there were a few original pieces from Miura, but for those of us not living in Japan, there's not much for us to engage with. A few social media images will appear, a few promo shots posted online in an official capacity, but I don't expect much more to come from it for those of us overseas.

I'm aware, but I imagine that this exhibition will be something bigger given its duration and seperate announcment through an additional webpage. Im still wary for the examples you listed though.

RaffoBaffo

Ex-Newser of the late Berserk Chronicles
I'm too optimist, for a split second I fantasized that this will eventually result in a new Artbook.
2020 taught me nothing.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Wondering why something like this needs a whole website anyway rather than like a smaller page from Young Animal or something. Do they usually do stuff like that for events like this?

No, this is exceptional. I mean, they don't even have a dedicated Berserk website (which is crazy to me)... It reinforces the notion that it's supposed to be kind of a big deal. I guess we've only got two more days to wait till the full news drops.

Wondering why something like this needs a whole website anyway rather than like a smaller page from Young Animal or something. Do they usually do stuff like that for events like this?
No, this is exceptional. I mean, they don't even have a dedicated Berserk website (which is crazy to me)... It reinforces the notion that it's supposed to be kind of a big deal.
Given how everything is done in a web browser nowadays this doesn't seem like such a big deal, actually. So far there's only a static promo page on Young Animal's website and a new domain which popped out a bit over a month ago. I'm sure whatever is on there took their web development team far less time and effort than even a moderately comprehensive Berserk official website would.

In any case, if Miura is involved there might still be something interesting to come out of it. I still have doubts this is all just a marketing stunt for the manga without any additional motives attatched to it, so let's see.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Given how everything is done in a web browser nowadays this doesn't seem like such a big deal, actually.

That's a questionable take. The main source of Berserk news outside of the magazine is a Twitter account. Making a dedicated website with a separate domain name is not something they do very often. In fact they've only done it for the animated adaptations so far.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
That's a questionable take. The main source of Berserk news outside of the magazine is a Twitter account. Making a dedicated website with a separate domain name is not something they do very often. In fact they've only done it for the animated adaptations so far.

Agreed. The standard solution for Hakusensha would be to add a graphic and some text to their existing Berserk landing page.

It's pointless to speculate, given we should have clear answers in a day or so, but the reason for a dedicated page could have to do with the crowdfunding component, or a requirement of the partnership they have with whatever location the exhibition is taking place at.

This exhibition is clearly more than just usual Berserk news, my point is that setting up a website these days is not in itself such a big deal or an indicator thereof. You make a good point about it not being something they've done a lot historically, though; then again, that could always change.

... but the reason for a dedicated page could have to do with the crowdfunding component, or a requirement of the partnership they have with whatever location the exhibition is taking place at.
Those are some good possibilities, and there could be many others for which setting up a quick website is cleaner and more managable, especially in the context of a public event, regardless of the level of importance it has on Berserk.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
This exhibition is clearly more than just usual Berserk news, my point is that setting up a website these days is not in itself such a big deal or an indicator thereof.

Setting up a website wasn't a big deal 20 years ago either. But the Young Animal staff is certainly treating this event as a big announcement, going so far as to tease it via a special page and to build a dedicated website for it.

Setting up a website wasn't a big deal 20 years ago either.
Sure, but it's only gotten simpler. Anyway, I get your point, that what makes it a potentially big deal is that Hakusensha and YA did it, which is unusual for them so far. Let's just see.

I'm kind of new to the berserk fandom and this could very well be a dumb question so forgive me in advance but nonetheless I have to ask, how do we know for certain it is an art exhibit? Like, all we have is the manga mogura twitter account saying it and the leaked image no name posted, but what are the sources of these images? I tried reverse image searching them and all I could find were twitter accounts reporting on it. I am not questioning the validity of these sources of course, but nonetheless I am curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom