Games everyone should play

Oburi

All praise Grail
zrexe said:
I heard such great things about Vandal Hearts, but I was seriously turned off by the character portraits. Such a shame... :judo:

I loved what little I played of Vandal Hearts, the character portraits were what originally turned me on to the game when I was young.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
I loved what little I played of Vandal Hearts, the character portraits were what originally turned me on when I was young.
Oh, is THAT what turns you on? :troll:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
zrexe said:
I heard such great things about Vandal Hearts, but I was seriously turned off by the character portraits. Such a shame... :judo:

You must be strong and look past Ash's huge nose. Over time, you will learn to love it. :schnoz:

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
ori said:
I just picked up Dondonpachi....nice shmup but hard as hell...

I LOVE this game but still prefer the original Donpachi. It seems we have similiar tastes in games, I wish there were some shmup games with online co-op!

And since I know you own a PS3 I recommend getting Soldner-X off the Playstation Store, it's great!

handsome rakshas said:
I LOVE this game but still prefer the original Donpachi. It seems we have similiar tastes in games, I wish there were some shmup games with online co-op!

And since I know you own a PS3 I recommend getting Soldner-X off the Playstation Store, it's great!

shmups are awesome! I saw soldner-x but I'm hesitant I may try it out. I'm actually picking up Death Smiles limited edition for xbox 360 soon and a JP xbox 360. It's cave's newest. There's a ton of great shmups for the JP xbox 360. Most of them are through the japanese xbox live unfortunately. Ps3 needs more shmups man!

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
ori said:
I'm actually picking up Death Smiles limited edition for xbox 360 soon and a JP xbox 360.

JEALOUS! :zodd:
I actually got to play the Death Smiles pcb and loved the heck out of that game! I wanted to pick up a JP 360 just for shmupping purposes but times are tough these days. And yeah, Soldner-X is definitely worth the 10 bucks.

zrexe said:

vandal hearts is alright, the 'blood fountain' is the only thing that stands out among all the other turn base strategy games. Personally I prefer Final Fantasy Tactics and Front mission 3 for PS1.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Since this has become the official Vandal Hearts thread, I figured Id share a link with you guys about the PREQUEL coming to XBLA soon. :isidro:

http://kotaku.com/5210672/vandal-hearts-flames-of-judgment-preview-fails-to-spark-interest

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
xfool said:
vandal hearts is alright, the 'blood fountain' is the only thing that stands out among all the other turn base strategy games. Personally I prefer Final Fantasy Tactics and Front mission 3 for PS1.

I think you're a bit unfair here. Sure, if I had to choose, FFT is the superior game. But then again, it's quite simply the best of the genre for that generation. Yet it has flaws, and while it's far from being perfect, Vandal Hearts has nice elements of its own that you won't find in FFT, its predecessors, or its successors. One thing I'll mention, is the sheer number of characters you control in Vandal Hearts. No one stays on the bench while the others are fighting to the death. I wish more games took that route instead of sticking with parties of 6 characters.

Walter said:
Since this has become the official Vandal Hearts thread, I figured Id share a link with you guys about the PREQUEL coming to XBLA soon. :isidro:

http://kotaku.com/5210672/vandal-hearts-flames-of-judgment-preview-fails-to-spark-interest

Interesting, though it doesn't seem to have any relation to the original game aside from bearing the same name. And it also doesn't look very good to me, graphics-wise (IGN's article says it's better in motion, but I have some doubts). Hopefully they'll work on that aspect of things some more before the release.

At the moment and in spite of their article's mediocrity (never felt so much like reading a blog), I have to agree with Kotaku: this fails to spark my interest.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
The Beast of Darkness said:
Sure, Final Fantasy Tactics(Tactics Ogre was a great game too!) is one of the best in the genre,but did you ever played to Shining Force III? :carcus:

Tactics Ogre? Ogre Battle is where it all originated. :slan:

But no, I didn't play Shining Force III... For the simple reason that I never played a Saturn game! Burn Sega, burrrrrn!! :mozgus: More seriously, I remember really wanting to play that game at the time, but that wasn't enough to warrant the purchase of a Saturn. I guess I'll play it one of these days when it's released for the Virtual Console or the XBLive.

Aazealh said:
Tactics Ogre? Ogre Battle is where it all originated. :slan:

But no, I didn't play Shining Force III... For the simple reason that I never played a Saturn game! Burn Sega, burrrrrn!! :mozgus: More seriously, I remember really wanting to play that game at the time, but that wasn't enough to warrant the purchase of a Saturn. I guess I'll play it one of these days when it's released for the Virtual Console or the XBLive.

That's too bad, trust me even if you don't like Sega, try Shining Force III you won't regret it ! :beast:
it's certainly one of the best game I've ever played, storyline, music(Motoi Sakuraba is a genius!)this game is a pure gem!.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
The Beast of Darkness said:
That's too bad, trust me even if you don't like Sega, try Shining Force III you won't regret it ! :beast:

Well I was kidding; I have nothing against Sega, and I enjoyed the earlier Shining Force games that were released on the Megadrive. It's just that the Saturn wasn't so hot, and I already had a PSX and a N64. Can't always have it all!

Aazealh said:
Well I was kidding; I have nothing against Sega, and I enjoyed the earlier Shining Force games that were released on the Megadrive. It's just that the Saturn wasn't so hot, and I already had a PSX and a N64. Can't always have it all!

That's pretty much why Saturn was not as successful as it was in Japan. SO many good games on saturn that weren't released here. For me so many good shmups that weren't released here. I've been wanting a saturn ever since it came out and I JUST got one brand new! Now I just need to mod somehow....

Has anyone played Megaman X4? I love megaman games and thinking of this being my 1st saturn game.

Yep like you say, so many good games that came to my mind, Radiant Silvergun, Thunder Force V, Dungeon & Dragons Collection, Terra Phantastica and many more...
Most of them were only released in Japan.

I got a Saturn (Much like I got a Dreamcast for CV) for its version of Resident Evil. The Saturn version had a battle mode. You get to fight 2 (somewhat) different tyrants, a wesker zombie, and it contains a...weird hunter hybrid in the caves. All and all it wasn't bad, but not the best version of the game.

I also had "Herc's Adventures" a Lucas Arts game, that took a fun cartoon spin on the Greek world of Mythology. Man, it makes me want to play it even now. I also first played "D" on it, that game was just weird, like a darker version of Myst. I bought "D2" on the Dreamcast, and it wasn't too great either.

ZoddtheGod

Zodd the Immortal
Underrated games eh? I would have to say...

God Hand (PS2) One of the funnest and most challenging brawlers I've played in a long time.
The Shadow Hearts series (PS2) I think it horrible that most people haven't heard of this series. :judo:
Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy (PS2) Pretty fun game.
Makai Kingdom: Chronicles of the Sacred Tome (PS2) The first Nippon Ichi Game I played. Disgaea is good too although alot more popular.

My personal favorites?

1. Super Mario World (SNES) Love this game to death.
2. Metal Gear Solid (PSX) :carcus:
3. Resident Evil 4 (GC)
4. Okami (PS2) Actually I love all Clover games.
5. Shadow Hearts 2: Covenant (PS2)

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
ZoddtheGod said:
God Hand (PS2) One of the funnest and most challenging brawlers I've played in a long time.
Hell yeah, I wish I had my PS2 so bad right now (lending it to a friend). I just preordered Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2 at Gamestop. I hope I can find the first one online before the second one comes out though. I might just buy a new PS2 since mine is one of the models that lost it's ability to read PS1 discs and I've been wanting to finally finish Xenogears.

Man... I just finished playing Retro Game Challenge for the DS... What a game!

If you were around during the NES era, this game is like a time machine. The story is that you're transported back in time to the 80's and are forced to play retro style games and complete challenges in order to be sent back to the present. All the games involved are 'new', but in wonderful 8-bit glory. There are games with liknesses to Shinobi, early Mario, Metroid, Gradius, RC-Pro AM and other early racers, Dragon Warrior (There's a full fledged RPG included even if it is a bit simplistic), and such.

Seriously, I want the sequel that's out in Japan so bad now, but it's so niche that sales haven't been good enough to warrant it yet. I think a few websites nominated this game as the "Best game no one played" recently too.

Top Bottom